Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Spokey, has the doohickey (valid word) been replaced on your KLR?

Ewep, I am led to believe that the doohickey problem has been sorted on this model, I will look into it thoughpost-52292-0-29939100-1401719251_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a real challenge at Yamaha with the Star line - the Japanese cruisers are really just so much better than the American ones, but just lack that little bit of something which make them desirable. They are almost so good that they are boring! The Yamaha Raider should be outselling the Harleys hand over fist, but it doesn't - it just doesn't have that appeal. I'm pretty sure that having ridden both the Vulcan and the Harley, you will probably agree!

Oh absolutely, and I agree completely. Ride, gearbox, vibration everything is better on the Japanese cruisers, but Yah, the Harley still has that pizazz, no doubt about it.

The local Harley dealer here tells me Harley makes up over 90% of the North American motorcycle sales, I dont know how reliable that is but its serious numbers and you see Harleys everywhere.........., however I have to say the speed bike market here, unlike SA is very small, I have yet to see a Fireblade or an R6 or a Katana for example, but in SA they are big sellers and found everywhere.

Some of the bikes currently in my garage...

post-133-0-06955000-1401720332_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-99035400-1401720334_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-54393600-1401720336_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-67219600-1401720338_thumb.jpg

Must be tempting to ride the Duc with twin Acra without a helmet just for the sound ... :-)

It's a '77 900SS. An ex-race bike which I picked up as a non-runner about 10 years ago. it was to far gone to try and get it back to original condition, and because the previous owner had spent quite a bit on an "Imola" race kit, I decided just to leave it as it is. So it's got those nice loud upswept pipes and big 40mm Flat-slide Dell'ortos. We actually don't ride it much at all. Very anti-social, very uncomfortable, and the heavens and all the planets and stars need to align just right before it starts. But for 30kms it can be a lot of fun!

Very cool bike, my mate has a Pantah with the Imola front fairing and SS tank, Mike Hailwood tail section. Very awesome bike! Just had the Carbs done now and it runs like a dream!!

Awesome piece of bike history!

Hows this for a bike, not mine but I saw it at the local dealership, its a "Boss Hoss" Google it, its a totally hand built bike with "usually but can vary" a small block V8 - 5.7 litre engine.

They can be insanely expensive and have been sold for upwards of $80.000.00 depending on model and extra's, but, I understand there is no shortage of willing customers waiting to have one built.

Would love to ride one just to see what its like.

post-16119-0-88554800-1401739317_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Hows this for a bike, not mine but I saw it at the local dealership, its a "Boss Hoss" Google it, its a totally hand built bike with "usually but can vary" a small block V8 - 5.7 litre engine.

They can be insanely expensive and have been sold for upwards of $80.000.00 depending on model and extra's, but, I understand there is no shortage of willing customers waiting to have one built.

Flat power curve ... Check

Plenty torque ..... Check

Straight line acceleration .... Check

Handling on the 22 .....

Will love to give it a try though :-)

Guest EdEdEd

5.7 litres. Is that possible? Wow, you can pull a trailer (and the car) with that thing

Oh absolutely, and I agree completely. Ride, gearbox, vibration everything is better on the Japanese cruisers, but Yah, the Harley still has that pizazz, no doubt about it.

The local Harley dealer here tells me Harley makes up over 90% of the North American motorcycle sales, I dont know how reliable that is but its serious numbers and you see Harleys everywhere.........., however I have to say the speed bike market here, unlike SA is very small, I have yet to see a Fireblade or an R6 or a Katana for example, but in SA they are big sellers and found everywhere.

My guess is that's going to slowly change - from the discussions we had with Yamaha 3 years back, the focus from the big 4 manufacturers in Japan was to slowly move away from Superbikes - there was a big competition during the 90's (98 R1 superbike era) to see who could build the fastest, and lightest Superbike, but now there is a bit of a truce - believe me, if the Japanese wanted to build a 200hp+ S1000RR killer they could! As the Japanese economy stagnates, the focus now is on the 250-300 and 500cc Baby sportbike/commuter market, and it's leaving the Europeans to fight it out on who can build the most trick Superbike.

And don't discount the Chinese - those guys are seriously catching up. It won't be long before there is a proper Chinese superbike.

5.7 litres. Is that possible? Wow, you can pull a trailer (and the car) with that thing

Yea it's crazy. If I'm not mistaken they use the engine out of a Dodge Viper. :eek:

Guest EdEdEd

Yea it's crazy. If I'm not mistaken they use the engine out of a Dodge Viper. :eek:

So much WOW!

http://media.giphy.com/media/sHytgXD2vlNVC/giphy.gif

Think they use a chev motor on the Boss Hoss, the 5.7 is the baby, you have a choice of the 7.5l as well.

The Dodge tomahawk is the one with the viper motor in. . . Or the viper motor with wheels.