Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I'm so desperate for a road trip, I offered to ride my mate's Husky 701 down to CT for him....

Sadly he arranged transport, but I think my behind may be secretly thanking it's lucky stars

Rode my duke 690 to nieeu bethseda for a rally...was ok...it just gets boring really but those thumpers have nice power for a lekker cruise. Was. To the most comfortable but made it work.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode my duke 690 to nieeu bethseda for a rally...was ok...it just gets boring really but those thumpers have nice power for a lekker cruise. Was. To the most comfortable but made it work.

yeah, if one does it for the ride, stopping often and taking in the scenery, it certainly can be done.

I once rode a restricted RS125 right across England without knowing where I was going or being prepared for a long trip at all.  The train trip to get there was about three hours and it took about eight to get back.  And most of it was in the dark.

I think there are few bikes less suited to long distance travel as that one.

I have done Pretoria to Port Elizabeth.

It gets long and boring if done to get to the destination like I did.

Over a few days, and taking in the scenery would be much different.

I used the KLE to work today again, not a hitch at all... 

It was just low fuel yesterday morning  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

I think it has a sticky float and it definitely needs chain and sprockets!

Otherwise smooth sailing

I used to do Pretoria to Durban on an 850 Moto Guzzi LM3.  The trip down was always fun because I was visiting a girlfriend, so I knew the reward would be worth it.

But man the trip back was ***.  Especially that boring section from Harrismith onward....

I've also done Pretoria to St Michaels on an R80/7 BMW.  That was a lot more fun than the Guzzi - much more comfortable and the screen made is quite pleasant actually.

Maybe its time for a little trip again on the TRX.....

We've done the Jhb to Durban trip on our "Fifty's" in the early 80's. Took mostly the back roads, and slept over in Harrismith at a friends family.

Now that was an epic trip.(and crazy)

I so wanted to do a trip like that but my mom was having none of it.

Having said that, I have done a few trips from Dbn to Jhb on a 1936 Velocette 2-stroke.  That's an epic ride.

Read up a bit if you have a few moments to spare.  http://www.djrun.co.za/

Wannabe,

Hats off to you. That's a proper adventure. Must have been a fantastic trip and a lifelong memory.

It was, the few of us still alive today, still chat about it whenever we get together.

It was quite an eclectic bunch of bikes, with a few "exotics" of that time, such as an Kreidler, a Zundapp and a Puch in the group.

I was on my brand spanking new Yamaha RZ50LC, and I was the only one not to have any mechanicals there and back. 

We sommer slept on the beach infront of the Beach Hotel on the esplanade. Crazy, hey??

The exuberance (stupidity?) of the youth.

Exotic bikes those. Couple of mates of mine had a Zundapp and a Kreidler. they raced down the Blue route lying flat on the seat and tank with legs out the back. I think they got up to about 100km/h. would that be right? Ai, those were the days. When you were to young and dumb to care about consequences, haha

I was on my brand spanking new Yamaha RZ50LC, and I was the only one not to have any mechanicals there and back.

My cousin had one of those which I had on long term 'borrowing' for a while.  It was so much faster than my Honda MTX50 which I had at the time.  I remember going over Ou Kaapse Weg, I'd have to ride in the yellow line going up, but nobody was catching me down the other side around the bends :clap:

Also learnt to do really long stoppies on that bike.  It was so light and just made you want to do stupid things all the time.

I miss the fun and simplicity of those little bikes.

I'm so desperate for a road trip, I offered to ride my mate's Husky 701 down to CT for him....

Sadly he arranged transport, but I think my behind may be secretly thanking it's lucky stars

I have seen the seat on a 701. I think your mate did you a favor....