Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Anyone have some advice re a Honda XLV700 transalp? 

Looking at one now and im quite keen, the KLE is a bit too much project vs Commuter! 

My son has a Transalp 700. Very nice bike, he commutes on it every day. But it is a bit heavy for traffic. His has been re-geared for touring, which does not help.

I believe some of the parts can be expensive and there are not always generic alternatives available in SA. But it is so reliable that has yet to be a problem.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news in SA on the expected arrival time and pride of the Yamaha Tenere 700 (Formerly the T7 concept)?

Yamaha T7 Concept

02-t7_tenere.jpg

yma_gallerypanel_1280x1024px_t7-4.jpg

2017-Yamaha-T7-Concept-8.jpg

Yamaha Tenere 700 Word Raid (the bike they tested all over the globe)

2018-yamaha-tenere-700-slide_0.jpg

yamaha-tenere-700-hero.jpg

And as usual... the watered down version for production

http://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Yamaha-Tenere-700-MBL2_STA_001-1024x580.jpg

2021-yamaha-tenere-700-to-usa-first-look

Ai, the old question. On the Wild dogs forum, the okes there have been asking this question for ages. Seems to be an opinion that Van Beveren rode a bike which wasn't like this and now nobody knows if or when it's coming out. 

Any news in SA on the expected arrival time and pride of the Yamaha Tenere 700 (Formerly the T7 concept)?

Yamaha T7 Concept

02-t7_tenere.jpg

yma_gallerypanel_1280x1024px_t7-4.jpg

2017-Yamaha-T7-Concept-8.jpg

Yamaha Tenere 700 Word Raid (the bike they tested all over the globe)

2018-yamaha-tenere-700-slide_0.jpg

yamaha-tenere-700-hero.jpg

And as usual... the watered down version for production

http://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Yamaha-Tenere-700-MBL2_STA_001-1024x580.jpg

2021-yamaha-tenere-700-to-usa-first-look

Didn't they say 2021?

Or something ridiculous like that......

By then it'll be electric..

And I probably won’t want one anymore!

To be true, these electric bikes are becoming awesome with the amount of instant torque available, but for this grey beard........I like the sound of a lekker bike when “on the pipe” as they say, be it 1 to 6 cylinders in any configuration!

My 29er is due for a major service, so my MV is my 2 wheeler at the moment.

Braggat![emoji12] What a beauty mate, I would be able to behave on a monster like that![emoji1690]

Braggat![emoji12] What a beauty mate, I would be able to behave on a monster like that![emoji1690]

Believe me, it takes all my strength to stay in check with this one.  I find myself wanting to misbehave often  ^_^

My 29er is due for a major service, so my MV is my 2 wheeler at the moment.

That is one of my all time ultimate bikes :drool:

Quick question for you guys:

Because of long delays at traffic lights, I have got into the habit of switching my bike off while waiting and then starting again to pull off. 

I do this perhaps twice a day. 

Is there any potential harm caused by this?

Cheers.

Quick question for you guys:

Because of long delays at traffic lights, I have got into the habit of switching my bike off while waiting and then starting again to pull off. 

I do this perhaps twice a day. 

Is there any potential harm caused by this?

Cheers.

Don't see why it would, not sure why you are doing this.

Rather put a switch to you radiator fan so you can toggle it on/off as needed.

I would imagine it will lead to premature starter failure possibly. Others can comment on oil transfers, etc. Maybe the oil lubricating the top end being there, then gone, then there again is bad but I don't know definitively.

Thanks, ja, the lubrication is part of what I thought to be an issue. I remember reading somewhere that most engine wear occurs when starting due to the initial lack of lube.

I do it just because I don't want to overheat while standing still. That shouldn't happen, I know, but the lights at some paces in CT take up to 4 or 5 minutes and sitting there with the engine running just seems wasteful. I guess frustration has something to do with it too.