Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I remember back in 1991 when I went to University in Durban - no car, barely been out of Newcastle where I grew up, riding around on my DT175 with a map in my backpack trying to negotiate Durban traffic and some guy pulled out in front of me going down the road past Durban Tech- I braked so hard that the tube moved on the front rim and tore the valve.  Instant flat tyre in a strange town with no way of getting home.  I rode the bike slowly down to Perry Yamaha (they were still in City center then), bought a tube and some tyre levers and repaired the wheel on their pavement!

I still have those levers - proper 40cm ones - a real mans tyre lever ;-)

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember back in 1991 when I went to University in Durban - no car, barely been out of Newcastle where I grew up, riding around on my DT175 with a map in my backpack trying to negotiate Durban traffic and some guy pulled out in front of me going down the road past Durban Tech- I braked so hard that the tube moved on the front rim and tore the valve.  Instant flat tyre in a strange town with no way of getting home.  I rode the bike slowly down to Perry Yamaha (they were still in City center then), bought a tube and some tyre levers and repaired the wheel on their pavement!

I still have those levers - proper 40cm ones - a real mans tyre lever ;-)

Having spent last night changing 3 rear tires - I agree - 400mm levers are the ones to have...... and lots of them

Having spent last night changing 3 rear tires - I agree - 400mm levers are the ones to have...... and lots of them

And lube.  

And you'll only ever change a rear tyre once with the sprocket on top and the brake below....

And lube.  

And you'll only ever change a rear tyre once with the sprocket on top and the brake below....

Mousse lube is marvelously spreadable stuff..... gets f...ing EVERYWHERE...

I built a stand with a spindle that clamps into a Triton workstand - so no pressure on the brake disk. but even taping the disc up is needed because they are super sharp - knuckle skin removers of note

I battle enough with a Dunlop D6060, warmed in the sun and a heavy duty tube. Half day affair (no tyre changer though) and definitely gloves needed.  Still impressed with the ISDE boys; 2 new tyres and mousse's, air filter and maybe oil change in 15 minutes at the end of a day's enduro.

So, the bikes are in and we're on our way back to durban.

The fully built bike is my mate's one, but the motor that comes with the other one is a brand new recon unit that's just been assembled by an excellent mech so I think I'm getting the better deal.

The frame for mine is already chopped and has a shorter seat, so my rebuild path is kinda decided for me. So, the final pic is what I'll be going for, but with lights and indicators for road use.

Can't wait. 8e1d92b3ab92ef1c5fb5421635389031.jpgd44b0e962bf7f008f8fec7e502f9d904.jpgd6482355ccd32412a0986041e56c3471.jpg0f13a649ac5c33f3816d5e05bb9a6d70.jpg

So, the bikes are in and we're on our way back to durban.

The fully built bike is my mate's one, but the motor that comes with the other one is a brand new recon unit that's just been assembled by an excellent mech so I think I'm getting the better deal.

The frame for mine is already chopped and has a shorter seat, so my rebuild path is kinda decided for me. So, the final pic is what I'll be going for, but with lights and indicators for road use.

Can't wait. 8e1d92b3ab92ef1c5fb5421635389031.jpgd44b0e962bf7f008f8fec7e502f9d904.jpgd6482355ccd32412a0986041e56c3471.jpg0f13a649ac5c33f3816d5e05bb9a6d70.jpg

Noice!

I battle enough with a Dunlop D6060, warmed in the sun and a heavy duty tube. Half day affair (no tyre changer though) and definitely gloves needed.  Still impressed with the ISDE boys; 2 new tyres and mousse's, air filter and maybe oil change in 15 minutes at the end of a day's enduro.

yeah, I dunno how those guys do it. or the malle moto guys at Dakar. Full day of riding and a full night of bike maintenance. 

I struggle enough with my Motoz RallZ's and Tubliss. takes me about 30min per tyre, with loads of silicone spray, sweat, and often blood.

0f13a649ac5c33f3816d5e05bb9a6d70.jpg

Muddy? :whistling: