Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Could one not just remove the can completely? I know it will be loud as hell, but what other possible negatives could there have been?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Akropovic will sell you a new sleeve to refurbish the pipe, maybe look into that.

Did the previous owner disclose this to you? I recall you only buying it a week or 2 ago......

Could one not just remove the can completely? I know it will be loud as hell, but what other possible negatives could there have been?

The negative pulse pressure to anyone standing within 20m's eardrums  :D

Edited by Andymann

So I got a random FB message last night - in 2008 I helped a couple from Canada who wanted to tour across Africa to deliver Mosquito nets and now they are writing a book about their adventure and wanted me to fill in a few gaps.  I dug out my old Yamaha laptop and lo and behold still have all our original communication from when they contacted me.

I spent a good few hours reading them again - brought back some great memories.  I have attached a pdf of something I found this morning after a quick search on the net, but in a nutshell, Todd's brother died of Malaria in Africa, and Todd and Christina decided they wanted to make a difference.

They had previously toured South America on XT350's which were readily available in Canada, but in SA we had discontinued them.  TT250R's were out of the question because they were too expensive, and also very tall, TTR230's were not street legal, and they were not keen on DT175's because they were 2-strokes.

So after much convincing, we settled on AG200's.  They were very skeptical at first, but as the tour progressed, and you read their comments, they were absolutely blown away by them.  To a point where they seriously considered taking them back to Canada. 

It's amazing how sometimes Yamaha manages to get something so right, but get the timing so wrong - have a look at an AG now, and tell me it wouldn't make a brilliant base for a dirt tracker project!

15475.pdf

So I got a random FB message last night - in 2008 I helped a couple from Canada who wanted to tour across Africa to deliver Mosquito nets and now they are writing a book about their adventure and wanted me to fill in a few gaps.  I dug out my old Yamaha laptop and lo and behold still have all our original communication from when they contacted me.

I spent a good few hours reading them again - brought back some great memories.  I have attached a pdf of something I found this morning after a quick search on the net, but in a nutshell, Todd's brother died of Malaria in Africa, and Todd and Christina decided they wanted to make a difference.

They had previously toured South America on XT350's which were readily available in Canada, but in SA we had discontinued them.  TT250R's were out of the question because they were too expensive, and also very tall, TTR230's were not street legal, and they were not keen on DT175's because they were 2-strokes.

So after much convincing, we settled on AG200's.  They were very skeptical at first, but as the tour progressed, and you read their comments, they were absolutely blown away by them.  To a point where they seriously considered taking them back to Canada. 

It's amazing how sometimes Yamaha manages to get something so right, but get the timing so wrong - have a look at an AG now, and tell me it wouldn't make a brilliant base for a dirt tracker project!

That's really cool .... but how would it pair up against the TW200?

http://www.yamaha.co.za/category/motorcycles/road/tw200

Sure their story was covered in a bike mag, some of the pictures look familiar......

That's really cool .... but how would it pair up against the TW200?

http://www.yamaha.co.za/category/motorcycles/road/tw200

Same engine - so performance very close, but we were worried about tyres.  Very easy to get 18" and 21" tyres in Africa - not so much those fat ones on the TW.

Also the rims were a worry - thousands of DT's in Africa - so things like hubs, spokes and rims were all easy to get.

We had a test TW running around Pinetown with fat Shinko road tyres.  It was an absolute blast....

The 85's are taking a beating around here, third one this week  :cursing: Twee Naartjies en 'n Yamaha  :ph34r:

Is that for the 4hr races.

I know they run the CBR150's against a 85cc 2 stroke.

Good fun......

Who likes naked bikes around here? They seem to be less popular than sport bikes and adventure bikes in SA which I find strange. I am keen on getting back into biking for transport and fun but don't have the budget yet. A KTM Duke 690 is high on my list.

Naked Bikes Preferred.. I dont like all that tupperware obscuring the powerrrrrrrr!!!!!

Who likes naked bikes around here? They seem to be less popular than sport bikes and adventure bikes in SA which I find strange. I am keen on getting back into biking for transport and fun but don't have the budget yet. A KTM Duke 690 is high on my list.

I had a Duke 690. For years I only rode singles and bought a Duke. Used to do some long distance too. Great little bike and lekker light to throw around. 

Also you get the Husky witpilen which is the same motor even though they market it as a 701. 

Sweet engine and loads of oomph for a single. Go for it.

Sure their story was covered in a bike mag, some of the pictures look familiar......

Think you're right... Wasn't it in BikeSA magazine?

Ah yes, good ol BikeSA! Now there's a trip down memory lane... I think it was under R2 a copy when I was 16, it had the magazine print cover with the news print type paper inside...   wasted many hours drooling over the bikes in that!!  :lol:

Think you're right... Wasn't it in BikeSA magazine?

Ah yes, good ol BikeSA! Now there's a trip down memory lane... I think it was under R2 a copy when I was 16, it had the magazine print cover with the news print type paper inside...   wasted many hours drooling over the bikes in that!!  :lol:

Ole Simon is getting on these days, he sold the mag to Portman. who surprisingly has not cocked it up yet. 

Best part of Bark Essay was charleys chat. All true of course. 

it's all fun and games till your mates find out....

Plus, riding a triumph in pommie land just sounds right.

as you were...

The flesh is strong but the spirit is weak..... woe is me. 

Pulled the trigger on a Roadster... you only live once and now I get to live it as a bad ass hombre on a slow bad ass looking iron horse and pretend its captain America. Wear the clothing and be part of the 1 percenter gang where we show off our tats, pretend we on the sons of anarchy set and how talk how bad we are before going to our jobs on a Monday. 

I know I know. 

As to the trumpet and RF ...for now they stay but getting pressure to release one of em. Let's see if all 3 can fit in the shed.