Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my GS in for a service and they gave me one of these for the day. At first look I wasn't overly excited to ride it as looks a bit like a grandpa bike. FUUUCCK me was I mistaken. It has the S1000RR motor in it and pushes out 160 horses. It must be one of the quickest, easiest to ride bikes I have ever ridden. and loud! the exhaust note is beautiful. I want one!

http://www.bmw-motorrad.jp/_common/img/bikes/adventure/s1000xr/BMWMI_master_360degree_652x489_2.jpg

Who else can remember the series of offroad bikes ( not GS ) launched by BMW some 20+ years ago . They had 450cc motors sourced from the far east if I recall . Moto Cross type. At the same launch BMW released their new HP (boxer ) . Can't recall ever seeing any of these on the road.At the same bike show was a Ducati Paul Smart that I still have wet dreams about.

Edited by Tromp

I took the TW for a short tour of part of Lesotho.

Day 1: Golden Gate to Katse Lodge. Around 220 km.

The TW's tank capacity is 7 l. On a good day that could be around 210km, but 170 km is probably more realistic. We (the BF rides a Honda) weren't too excited about carrying a jerry-can on the bike, so we toyed with the idea of taking the bakkie with. Within half an hour after mentioning this to my brother, their air tickets were bought: they were coming from Cape Town to drive the bakkie for us. The TW is a bit too slow for safety on South AFrican highways, so plan was to drive the bakkie (bikes at the back) to Golden Gate, and ride from there.

Picked them up at the Gautrain station, and then started making our way to Golden Gate. At Reitz my GPS led us astray, so we missed Bethlehem and, consequently, the opportunity to get supper. It was dark and very wet when we arrived.  After supper (coffee, Simba chips and droewors) we went to sleep with the sound of rain through the night.

We woke up to a beautiful misty and very green Free State.

The rain subsided and we quickly packed up. After a short detour through Clarens, we were on our way to breakfast in Fouriesburg, where we were also going to fill up both bikes, the bakkie and the Jerry can.

IMG_2156.jpg

About 10 kms outside of Fouriesburg the TW sputtered a bit ... and then some more. And then cut out. We only rode 130 since the last time we filled up ... but that did include the ADA DP1 training course ... I switched to reserve, but a few kms further the tank was really empty. The bakkie drove off to Fouriesburg to get fuel, and we were on the road again.

If you're ever in Fouriesburg, stop at 'Die Plaasstoep' for breakfast.

Caledonspoort border post is just over 10 kms from Fouriesburg. Once you're out of Butha-Buthe, the roads are quieter and it was great being outside. Lesotho was very green.

IMG_2217.jpg

The Mafika Lesiu pass must be one of the prettiest in the world - I'm sure my brother felt ever so slightly jealous that he was in the bakkie and not on a bike. And the mountains were full of water - at some point my broeter and his wife (in the bakkie) could see 19 waterfalls from same spot.  

We stopped at a viewpoint just below the top of the pass.

The TW was not impressed with the last few 100 metres of this pass. It sputtered and hickupped, but once over the top (at 3090) and on the downhill, it was happy again. You get your first glimpse of the Katse dam soon after you've crossed the highest point of the pass, but if you're not used to riding it's still a long way (50 or so) of twisty turny roads to the lodge. 

We checked out the campsite above the dam wall, then proceeded to the Lodge for sundowners on the stoep (ice cold Maluti beers and popcorn) and supper (try the almond trout).

The lodge was fully booked, so we went back to the campsite above the dam wall to pitch tents for the night.

IMG_2286.jpg

Edited by cat-i

Day 2

Katse to Ramabantha: 241 km (I remembered to record the trip on my GPS, so this time have some stats)

Vertical ascent: 5787

Mountain passes: Many

Views: unlimited

From Katse it's a magnificent dirt road to Thaba Tseka. It's about 60 kms, and took us about 2 hours. There are no major mountain passes, just mile upon mile of dirt road, very green grass, green hills, green fields and a taxi or donkey cart every now and again. Parts of this road reminded me of that dirt road that goes into Vuvu when you do Ride2Rhodes (mountain bike); some of it reminded me (probably more accurately) of some of the roads we mountain biked on the Trans Lesotho. 

IMG_2383.jpg

We filled up at Thaba Tseka, and then continued on tar, mountain pass after mountain pass. Quiet road, the odd truck, donkey cart or a few sheep. 

IMG_2433.jpg

On one of the passes (Mokhoabong Pass?) we stopped for droewors and Easter eggs 

After that, more mountain passes. Think Franschoek pass, and when you get to the bottom, another Franschoek pass, and then another one. All day long. You're either on the way up a mountain, or down it. 

IMG_2419.jpg

Then there were more mountain passes. Cheche pass, Likalaneng, Past Nazareth, over Blue Mountain pass, Bushman's pass (not sure about the order?). 

IMG_2444.jpg

On 'God Help Me' pass we stopped for more droewors, to top up the TW's fuel, and to check distances to the next fuel station. 

IMG_2483.jpg

Doesn't matter how pretty the roads, if you're not used to travelling by bike, you'll be tired after 210 kms - which was roughly when we arrived in Roma. Hardy filled the Honda's tank, and then it was another 30 km or so to Ramabantha. The road to Ramabantha is a bit ... more rural, shall we say, than the lovely tar road that we've been on - but then you enter the colonial lawns of Ramabantha - wow! Lovely campsite, friendly staff, cold beer, beautiful lawns and oh, those showers!

We set up camp, enjoyed the local beer, and then got the braai going. 

I haven't been a 'biker' for all too long (it's about 4 months since I got the learner's and learnt where the gears are) ... and I haven't bike-toured all that much ... but this was easily one of the best days I've had on my bike.

Edited by cat-i

I took the TW for a short tour of part of Lesotho.

That looks a pretty awesome trip.....my next trip will be something similar, so thanks for sharing....

A couple of mates & I did a 2 day Lesotho trip the weekend before last, well, in fact a 4 day trip, but only 2 through Lesotho.

Coming from Durban, did a scenic route to Underberg, then up Sani Pass....St Theresa's....Sehonghong......Motobeng (overnight at Bob Phillips camp)......Sehlabathebe National Park (also an overnight camp).........Ramatilitso border gate.....Matat......swartberg & back to Underberg before return to Durban.

The beauty of Lesotho was on full display for us & the weather good.....this route in the wet would be a nightmare. As it is the +/- 25 km's from Bob Phillips to Sehlabathebe took just over 3 hours on the GS!

Lesotho Long weekend adventure 3: Ramabantha to Semonkong
49 km
1452m vertical ascent

After yesterday's long day, it was just a short distance from Ramabantha to Semonking. The road is in great condition - recently tarred, very little traffic and no potholes.

IMG_2576.jpg

I love the Drakensberg in Autumn - everything is green, but the bulk of the summer thundershowers is over and it's not too cold yet. Same must be true for Lesotho - everything is green, with patches of pink cosmos scattered inbetween.

IMG_2541.jpg

There's only one 'hill' between Ramabantha and Semonkong - as far as a 1468m ascent can be considered a 'hill'.
IMG_2544.jpg

The last bit of uphill on the only climb for the day was so steep that the taxi had to engage 'low range' to get up there - zig-zagging his way up the hill. I was glad I was on the TW and not on a mountain bike.
IMG_2553.jpg
We would have time to explore the waterfall the next day, so we ignored the signs pointing to the waterfall and went straight for Semonkong. Hardy was disappointed that the old bridge over the Maletsunyane river (that becomes the falls a few km downstream) was replaced by a shiny new one. The old one looked more interesting ...
Clipboard01.jpg

To get to the lodge, you go through Semonkong's 'CBD' and then an interesting little road shared with donkeys, horses and goats.

IMG_2757.jpg

The campsite at Semonkong is way more rustic than the one at Ramabanta. It was also a lot busier - while we were the only campers at Ramabanta, Semonkong's campsite was full. This was the only campsite where we booked in advance, and we were glad we did so.

IMG_2614.jpg

If you're ever in Semonkong, ask at the Lodge's restaurant for Elizabeth, the blanket lady, and see if you can arrange a blanket tour (R65-100 pp, depending on how many people). She's a great source of info about Basotho blankets, but even more so about the history, stories and culture. The local store has tuna, cheese sauce, rice and pasta and basic vegetables, but if you're planning to braai, maybe consider bringing your own meat. If you're braaiing, ask at the restaurant if you could buy a flat round bread to go with supper.