GoPro captures gunpoint mountain bike robbery in Somerset West

Gerlach

Well done for staying so calm.

Does anyone know what time this happened? Was it at the first railway crossing on the way up or coming back down and into the forest?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's on pinbike now

And I see the YouTube comments are full of international racism

Would like to know whether there's a self defense option other than handing over the items and the actions you said you would've taken in this instance? Or would those be the only options?

Not self defence, but just my 2c:

Avoiding the trap and getting out of the trap would be the best option. It appears to me as if there were 4 attackers involved. No.1 with the gun, no.2 to take the bike away, no.3 came up from the right back (to block rider from doing a 180 and hotfooting it), no4 I think is visible in the distance after the rider start to walk off to the left (perhaps to block escape in that direction?

Acute awareness of your surroundings and a deep trust in your instinct / 6th sense / guardian angel is all you have to serve as an early warning. If you feel "uncomfortable" never ignore it, act decisively, without self doubt and hesitation.

Unfortunately it is terribly hard to ride single track and be aware of what is going on in your peripheral vision. We focus so hard on the track coming up at speed, that everything else take a second place up in the old brain. Difficult one. Perhaps riding in a herd is the only better way? Sad.

Edited by DJR

Not self defence, but just my 2c:

Avoiding the trap and getting out of the trap would be the best option. It appears to me as if there were 4 attackers involved. No.1 with the gun, no.2 to take the bike away, no.3 came up from the right back (to block rider from doing a 180 and hotfooting it), no4 I think is visible in the distance after the rider start to walk off to the left (perhaps to block escape in that direction?

Acute awareness of your surroundings and a deep trust in your instinct / 6th sense / guardian angel is all you have to serve as an early warning. If you feel "uncomfortable" never ignore it, act decisively, without self doubt and hesitation.

Unfortunately it is terribly hard to ride single track and be aware of what is going on in your peripheral vision. We focus so hard on the track coming up at speed, that everything else take a second place up in the old brain. Difficult one. Perhaps riding in a herd is the only better way? Sad.

Thanks DJR. I think that's definitely part of the solution to be aware of what's happening around you. I move around solo a lot of the time and make sure I know what's cutting.

Just wanting to know from an expert whether there would've been room for a less violent means of protection without losing your valuable items such as your bike and cellphone.

What irks me is that I rode that route with my family less than 4 months ago.

Also remind me not to read the comments, ever, if I post something on Youtube. The world has some sick people.

By now the guy has probably been approached by TV networks like Fox etc. and offered money to show it on their news.

It's on pinbike now

And I see the YouTube comments are full of international racism

Like what Stretch ?

Against the attackers ?

What irks me is that I rode that route with my family less than 4 months ago.

Also remind me not to read the comments, ever, if I post something on Youtube. The world has some sick people.

By now the guy has probably been approached by TV networks like Fox etc. and offered money to show it on their news.

I agree some of the comments on YouTube are disgusting and probably coming straight form the Internet Troll's home planet.

As for the news networks. My understanding is that if you post something without first protecting it then it's free game for the world to use and you don't see a cent.

About two months ago I took delivery of my Specialized Roubaix.

Sunday morning 5H30 I left home, rode along Bottellary and turned right to Stellenbosch with Franschoek being my destination.

Across from Beyerskloof Wines, 4 black guys approached me with intent. Fortunately, I realise something is up and with savvy and awareness, I got out of it by out manoeuvered them.

I reported it to the cops and they said that the stretch from Stellenbosch to Krommeria to Klapmuts and back to Stellenbosch is a cycle hi-jack hot spot.

I sold my Roubaix and are sticking to enclose trails.

That tells me everything I need to know about you and the work you do. Much respect for it.

Would like to know whether there's a self defense option other than handing over the items and the actions you said you would've taken in this instance? Or would those be the only options?

There is always a self defence option but boy you better be well trained, have a mean streak a mile wide and practice a hell of a lot when the odds are against you like that. If it goes wrong you just dont get to try again ever.

There is always a self defence option but boy you better be well trained, have a mean streak a mile wide and practice a hell of a lot when the odds are against you like that. If it goes wrong you just dont get to try again ever.

True, as I said earlier 1,2 or 10 courses won't do the job.

4 to 5 session of whatever form of martial arts might cut it.

Not saying I'd ever use such methods myself. Just interested in knowing if there was a third option available. Agree fully that if you have self defense knowledge that that would work as long as it's highly practiced and thoroughly learnt.

Must say that I think Malcolm exercised the safest possible option for himself and his loved ones.