GoPro captures gunpoint mountain bike robbery in Somerset West

Gerlach

Great video footage..... Shows you how quickly things can happen. The element of surprise always wins.... Even if the rider was armed, he didn't stand a chance.

I disagree with you there. I ride armed and I would have reacted as follows: the perp came from the right, running across an open piece of veld. Immediately you would have assessed his intention and see that he was angling to get in front to cut you off. at that stage i would have stopped as quickly as possible and dumped the bike (i estimate the distance then to be 10-15m between us) and at the same time backing away, still facing the perp. The perp will focus first on the bike lying down and not on the rider backing away. This will be an oppurtune time to draw and engage.

In the footage the perp almost drops the pistol when trying to get a proper grip on it. I would back myself in THIS scenario to be able to stop this.

I must add I have practiced drawing from concealed in riding gear and can draw and fire within 2-3 seconds. I do club shoots twice a week at least. Remember each scenario will differ and may require a different action of engagement. my 2c...

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now to see if SAPS with this evidence can actually catch and prosecute these guys.

G

Good point. What more do they need? Useless sods!

This adds fuel to my already burning flames!!

I cant call them what they "actually are" so I hope that these armed, distinguished gentlemen from the asset forfeiture unit get a R200 penalty for their efforts and a smile from the judge.

:cursing:

Since we cant label them PROPERLY

Edited by ChUkKy

I disagree with you there. I ride armed and I would have reacted as follows: the perp came from the right, running across an open piece of veld. Immediately you would have assessed his intention and see that he was angling to get in front to cut you off. at that stage i would have stopped as quickly as possible and dumped the bike (i estimate the distance then to be 10-15m between us) and at the same time backing away, still facing the perp. The perp will focus first on the bike lying down and not on the rider backing away. This will be an oppurtune time to draw and engage.

In the footage the perp almost drops the pistol when trying to get a proper grip on it. I would back myself in THIS scenario to be able to stop this.

I must add I have practiced drawing from concealed in riding gear and can draw and fire within 2-3 seconds. I do club shoots twice a week at least. Remember each scenario will differ and may require a different action of engagement. my 2c...

Rhoneblack46 - i hope yu have a very good laywer !!! my 2c...

Glad the cyclist is okay. I always ride with a cam on the handlebars, after seeing

this video, on my helmet it goes.

I disagree with you there. I ride armed and I would have reacted as follows: the perp came from the right, running across an open piece of veld. Immediately you would have assessed his intention and see that he was angling to get in front to cut you off. at that stage i would have stopped as quickly as possible and dumped the bike (i estimate the distance then to be 10-15m between us) and at the same time backing away, still facing the perp. The perp will focus first on the bike lying down and not on the rider backing away. This will be an oppurtune time to draw and engage. In the footage the perp almost drops the pistol when trying to get a proper grip on it. I would back myself in THIS scenario to be able to stop this. I must add I have practiced drawing from concealed in riding gear and can draw and fire within 2-3 seconds. I do club shoots twice a week at least. Remember each scenario will differ and may require a different action of engagement. my 2c...

Wow we have real life ninjas riding bikes in our midst! Do you have any videos in action, would be very educational.

what exactly does 'engage' mean to the normal person, who only does club shoots once a week or less?

does it mean point at perp and shout:'drop it jou ma se p@#'

or

start firing away?

I would have done exactly what Malcolm did....there is no reset button in real life like on my playstation.

A spook with GAD. Nice!

He did the right thing... We can all be heros and say what we would of, could of and what he should of done.. But honestly when you are alone all you care about is getting out alive.

I have always said I will knock someones lights out.. Until My lights went out on Monday morning training on the Ironman route, a huge dark object came at me and I shouted my lungs out almost filling up a few of the potholes too. Lucky enough for me it was a playful Great Dane. But that thing owned my soul... Fine to be tough on here, but when it comes down to it, yes sir no sir is going to save your life.

Great video footage..... Shows you how quickly things can happen. The element of surprise always wins.... Even if the rider was armed, he didn't stand a chance.

This is so true...bring up one of my old point re: cycling with this and that and the other to protect yourselves...

how much time did this guy have to counter-react...?

not much...so how will a gun / mace / tazer have helped him in this situation? There were 3-4 of them...

Edited by Cassie

Oscar?

There are definitely people trained to deal with situations like this who could and probably would have handled it differently. And by "trained" I don't mean know how to shoot a gun. Probably the biggest part of proper training is knowing when to shoot a gun.

That being said, I'm not one of those people. I think he behaved exactly like he should have and exactly like I would have. At least that's how I would like to behave. I'd probably **** myself and blubber like a fool.

PerpS. As in 3.

I hope to hell you're that good. Shooting 3 perps in 3 different directions before 1 perp with a gun aimed at you can pull the trigger is a tough call.

Each to his own and different scenarios require different strategies but I reckon 9 times out of 10 all the farkers want is your bike and cellphone.

Hand it over and get a shiny new one from insurance would be my default setting. It's frustrating as hell but the safest option (in the majority of a cases).