GoPro captures gunpoint mountain bike robbery in Somerset West

Gerlach

Tell The Hub which street he'll be cleaning and he'll probably have an assortment of used cassettes from the used cassette thread inserted forcibly into his bum.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok might as well admit it , I am a Rambo without any official training and also if situation allows will not let the nice people take my stuff . In December a nice man tried to relieve me of my car by waving a knife at me , demanding we all get out so he can claim what was given to him by his govermunt . I did manage to take his knife and plant it into his arm pit . He ran of screaming like a pig (which he sure was not) hopefully to go and die slowly somewhere on a dump . So I suppose we don't all act the same .

I'm not trained and I ain't no Rambo either but in all 3 attempted hi-jack / smash n grab senarios so far i have had the "flight" reaction, first one was with a concealed weapon (coulve been a stick) = who knows, second one was looking down the steel barrel = extremely lucky, and the most recent time i could see both hands so got away with it "easily".

I commend this guy for doing the sensible thing, unless you are in the situation i dont think any of us really know what we would do.

There are specific places to shoot armed attackers where adrenaline spikes are high.

How do you think the Task Force, SAS and Seal teams train. Paper and steel targets. Oops you were not meant to know that.

You always try to shoot from a stable platform. A moving mtb is not advisable.

I disagree with you there. I ride armed and I would have reacted as follows: the perp came from the right, running across an open piece of veld. Immediately you would have assessed his intention and see that he was angling to get in front to cut you off. at that stage i would have stopped as quickly as possible and dumped the bike (i estimate the distance then to be 10-15m between us) and at the same time backing away, still facing the perp. The perp will focus first on the bike lying down and not on the rider backing away. This will be an oppurtune time to draw and engage.

In the footage the perp almost drops the pistol when trying to get a proper grip on it. I would back myself in THIS scenario to be able to stop this.

I must add I have practiced drawing from concealed in riding gear and can draw and fire within 2-3 seconds. I do club shoots twice a week at least. Remember each scenario will differ and may require a different action of engagement. my 2c...

I carry mace in a readily accessible spot and having had pedestrians try to pull me off my bike twice in the last 6 months, the part you cannot practice for is how to function properly with a surge of adrenalin in the system. Come to the crunch, I find that flight over fight is my natural instinct (despite rehersing what I'd do in the situation numerous times).

Geez guys i should have put my flame suit on first.

In my post I said that is what I would do. And NO i would not go to jail.

To those with the "remarks" you clearly do not know anything about use of force and self defence requirements.

To those who doubt:

In this instance the perp is carrying a pistol. Most probably in the process of pointing a firearm at you. It is clear what his intentions are. The requirements for self defence is -

1. the attack must be unlawful. (clearly in this case)

2. the attack must be imminent or have commenced (in this case it has commenced, perp has pistol in hand)

3. The attack must be against your person ( clearly in this case)

4. Force used must be proportional to that of the attack. (perp has gun, so use of firearm will be lawful)

This is a clear cut scenario where the use of deadly force will be justifiable. The legal term is justifiable homocide. The perp does not have to commence firing. The mere pointing of the firearm is sufficient for use of deadly force.

I hope this explains it a bit.

A clear case of a little knowledge of the law is a dangerous thing. I wouldn't bet on you being acquitted on a murder charge on the footage I saw.

All the SAPS members at Marikana probably thought the same way you do.

Malcolm correctly did what the proverbial reasonable man would have done in the circumstances, an act that in my view shows greater courage. It was not a decision made on ego.

The example you used in another post of the family being attacked in their home is an entirely different situation and you should be able to distinguish between the two yourself.

Well done Malcolm Fox you handled it perfectly!!!!!!

The video illustrates your 6 sense stepped in and you felt it was a robbery where no violence would occur if you complied, hence you acted quickly handed him what he wanted and spoke to him in a very calm assuring way. Brilliant!!!

I don't know you, but maybe you would have reacted differently if you had felt something else about the situation.

Unless your name is Chuck Norris, Charles Bronsen or Buce Willis - stay calm, hand over the material items that can be replaced, then take a trap home to see your wife and kids - en route home, say a little thanks to your gaurdian angels.

I am sure that there are many guys with Roneblack46 skills, and would have mowed them all down and continued with their ride, however, for every 1000 people, there may be one such skilled person - and thats a big maybe.

Anyways, Roneblack46, is Oscar guilty and going to jail for a long time?

I have seen to many 'victims" in my career. it is sad but it is what it is.

The mantra of the Evil Empire you serve: Rather a killer than a victim.

There are specific places to shoot armed attackers where adrenaline spikes are high.

How do you think the Task Force, SAS and Seal teams train. Paper and steel targets. Oops you were not meant to know that.

You always try to shoot from a stable platform. A moving mtb is not advisable.

Yip....they do and hours and hours of simulations and live fire in kill houses.

They also aren't qualified untill they have 2-3 years live experience.

You saying that you on SAS or SEAL level?

A clear case of a little knowledge of the law is a dangerous thing. I wouldn't bet on you being acquitted on a murder charge on the footage I saw.

All the SAPS members at Marikana probably thought the same way you do.

Malcolm correctly did what the proverbial reasonable man would have done in the circumstances, an act that in my view shows greater courage. It was not a decision made on ego.

The example you used in another post of the family being attacked in their home is an entirely different situation and you should be able to distinguish between the two yourself.

Where are you coming from?

Firstly you do not know my background regarding law. Secondly I am not a member of SAPS.

Might merely commented on someone posting a reply on this thread that even if the rider had a gun he would not have been able to do anything. I disagreed and explained why. What the rider did was the only thing he could have done. And I am glad he was not hurt in anyway.

We all have our own opinions on what to do and what not to do. No one is right or wrong.