Bicycle Mechanic Courses / Cycling Industry Career

Danus24

Hi Guys,

I'm 30 years old, been working in Recruitment most of my career. I've recently got divorced and am having my midlife crisis. I know I'm a bit young but anyway when life gives you lemons....

I'm looking for a career change and am looking at doing something where my true passion lies. Since starting mountain biking and cycling in general I've been Reborn so to speak.

I'd love to wake up every morning and be excited about the prospect of a new day and the adventure and learning it will bring.

I was thinking about becoming a Bike mechanic or something else bike related.

I have excellent communication, training, people skills and love to get my hands dirty.

Does anyone have any idea if there are South Africa Accredited Bicycle

Mechanic courses out there?

I'd be willing to work, promote and do an apprenticeship type gig.

Please let me know if you could help.

Edited by Danus24

Can't help, but also 30 and having a 'midlife crisis'. Thinking of career change etc. Glad to know I am not the only one. :thumbup:

Can't help, but also 30 and having a 'midlife crisis'. Thinking of career change etc. Glad to know I am not the only one. :thumbup:

Are we supposed to have a "midlife crisis" at 30? Eish, I'm almost 40! Now where's my one?

hahaha, I am 28 and having my midlife crisis as well I hope that doesn't mean I am only going to live to 56. It is nice to know that I am not the only one

considering an electrician gets qualified in 2 years now,I think a 2 week course in Fiets Mekaar would be sufficient

rumeneration wise I think R5k a month is all youll get,as youll just be classified as a grease monkey

recently divorced means youre 50% richer or poorer than when you were single

So unless you shoved banknotes under your matteress without your ex finding out,a small adjustment in living standards might be an option.

with reference to the mining ous wanting a min of R12500 a month,i recently met a music sales guy who has been working for the same retailer since the 80's and he still only takes home R3890 after tax....go figure...

I dont know anything about bike mechanic courses or repairing and selling them either, but after 30 years in my own business I feel I know a little about that side of things.

Doing something you enjoy in life is vitally important, however it has to pay the bills, school the kids, and you need to be able to save a bit to beat inflation, because if it doesn't, you wont love it for long and it will become the proverbial albatross around your neck.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want to be negative, all I am saying is you would need to have a big trust fund behind you if your dream is not sufficiently marketable in today's world, no matter how much you enjoy it.

Don't let your passion fool you in terms of payment.

A bike mechanic in a LBS gets about R8-10k per month, and as far as I know there are no accreditations. You either know how to wrench, or you learn how to wrench. When you get to store manager level you're salary will look better though.

I dunno hey, cycling is also one of my passions, and I used to work in a bike shop. WHen your passion becomes your work, the magic might disappear. I for one am really happy to be out of the industry. Even riding is more fun now.

what sort of salary does a qualified bike mechanic get?

bike ride over lunch EVERY DAY

Are we supposed to have a "midlife crisis" at 30? Eish, I'm almost 40! Now where's my one?

IN THE GARAGE - WITH THE 29' WHEELS