Gym vs. Cross fit advice

Hi All

Thinking about incorporating some gym or crossfit into my training program.

Currently do two hard 1 hour indorr sessions with a coach on a Tuesday and Thursday and normally a long base mtb ride on a Saturday morning (generally 4 hours) and then a 2 to 3 hour road ride on a Sunday.

I want to build in some gym or cross fit into my program.

Any suggestions out there? What works better, a well strcutured gym program that is cycling specific or two cross fit sessions a week? Any personal experience?

I have been riding for a while and have ridden the Joberg2C amongst other stage races so decently fit, but want to work in full body conditioning and somethign different.

Cheers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you are after at the end of the day.

do you want to improve your cycling? or do you want to improve your body shape?

gym will help the cycling and cross fit will tone and rip your body?

Cross-fit is great training, but be very careful of which box you train at. Many of them don't have enough instructors or focus enough on the fundamentals of proper form.

After three months of Cross-fit, I'd twice done damage to my back.

Bad form - sure. My responsibility - sure.

However, one instructor cannot watch a group of 30 people throwing weights around.

Must say though, it's lots of fun and an incredibly hard workout. For me, however, nothing beats a proper focused gym session.

All im saying is that If they make you do 30 deadlifts in a row, walk out... anyone has an ounce of sence about weight training will tell you that doing that many reps at once is stupid. You cannot maintain proper form for that long.

Rather do functional body weight training at gym and you wont be kept back by injuries.

Hi All

Thinking about incorporating some gym or crossfit into my training program.

Currently do two hard 1 hour indorr sessions with a coach on a Tuesday and Thursday and normally a long base mtb ride on a Saturday morning (generally 4 hours) and then a 2 to 3 hour road ride on a Sunday.

I want to build in some gym or cross fit into my program.

Any suggestions out there? What works better, a well strcutured gym program that is cycling specific or two cross fit sessions a week? Any personal experience?

I have been riding for a while and have ridden the Joberg2C amongst other stage races so decently fit, but want to work in full body conditioning and somethign different.

Cheers

Check out http://www.exercisesolutions.co.za great training advice

Ye I am feeling the same towards cross fit. It will lead to over training if I have that much high intensity training every week.

I am leaning towards a structured program at the gym that focusses on strength training. My fitness is decent from the high intesity indoor sessions with the coach during the week.

Check this out. Seems to have some good reviews and you can do it at home. Just need the proper motivation!This guy makes a lot of sense but is not an endurance sport proponent. You need to find a balance between performing well on race day and over-training. Also, don't screw up your family life by being all about training and not enough about family, sex with your wife and the like!

www.maxworkouts.com

Good luck!

All the usual Crossfit haters...

Like any training program, if you let your ego get the better of you, you will get injured.

If you go to a reputable box you will realise that your coaches are more interested in how good your form is than how much weight you can lift. ie. If you can't do 30 deadlifts with good form, then you should be on a lighter weight.

I have been doing CF for around a year and a half, and while some of my old injuries have come back to haunt me a little, I can also say that for the first time in more than 10 years I don't have debilitating back pain from a lack of support for my old injured back.

But I digress...

Every cyclist should be doing some form of weght training. It is worrying to see how many hubbers have broken bones recently, and I put that partly down to the fact that cyclists are prone to lower bone density if they only cycle.

All the usual Crossfit haters...

Like any training program, if you let your ego get the better of you, you will get injured.

If you go to a reputable box you will realise that your coaches are more interested in how good your form is than how much weight you can lift. ie. If you can't do 30 deadlifts with good form, then you should be on a lighter weight.

I have been doing CF for around a year and a half, and while some of my old injuries have come back to haunt me a little, I can also say that for the first time in more than 10 years I don't have debilitating back pain from a lack of support for my old injured back.

But I digress...

Every cyclist should be doing some form of weght training. It is worrying to see how many hubbers have broken bones recently, and I put that partly down to the fact that cyclists are prone to lower bone density if they only cycle.

Agreed. I a CrossFit coach does not correct form or focus more on form than reps, you need to find a new box.

I say this from working for the publishers of The Box Magazine and speaking to many trainers out there as well as being in the box 3 time a week.

What is the average charge per month for crossfit classes.... I have searched the crossfit Jozi site and can find squat.

I record my training carefully with my polar monitor so I know what hours I put in. Last year April I started Crossfit two times a week. I did the same amount of on the bike training than the previous winter. My Karoo 2 Coast time improved by 30 min. Crossfit worked well for me. Just be cautious of injuries.

Crossfit is great provided you go to the right box ie one that promotes form over reps. That said it is a lot more expensive than a normal gym contract, provided you are on Vitality that is, and going back to gym after CrossFit seems mundane and boring so you may well be stuck with it! That is my view at least.