Giant vs Cannondale

RTG7

Hi, looking for opinions from people who own or have ridden both:

in terms of ride quality - spec can be changed on both bikes.

I have been riding the Anthem X 29er for the past 4 years and am unsure about changing. always wanted the Scapal 29er and a Lefty but am comfortable and know the Giant well.

so opinions on the two are appreciated.

Anthem X advanced 1 or Cannondale Scapal 3 (will be upgrading the Scapal parts, the Carbon frame is just too much extra ZAR's)

Thanks

post-7377-0-86701100-1402731332_thumb.png

post-7377-0-88950900-1402731344_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the giant for me is super stable, safe and predictable. i had the morewood Zula before the Giant and i miss the sharpness and directness of that bike.

the giant is a cluster bomb, no need to pick lines, just ride and hang on. i have loved it but maybe time for a change, and a back end i can move around..

Btw - scalpel is an out n out racer. Steep head angle, stiff rear end. Giant is a bike thay can easily cross over into the trail bike category and is more comfortable. Slacker head angle. More stable at speed. Better in the rough stuff

i suppose that is the deciding factor then - do i want to loose the "fun" and big hitting capabilities of the Giant for a Lefty fork and a more zippy/racy feel.

I'm not sure of the specs . . . .

But what is the weight difference between your choices?

I know weight is not the begin and end all, but I can not help feeling you should compare the same spec bike (carbon frame, part spec).

How much rand will your spec upgrade on the Scalpel cost? Will it then cost more than the Giant?

I guess the same spec Scalpel is carbon and quite expensive? Maybe it makes the Giant a better deal?

After all the bean counting and speculating and advice . .. . . .

Buy the bike that you LIKE and WANT ( the one that gives you wood :devil: )

Edited by IH8MUD

I know nothing about mountain bikes, but looking at the 2 pictures I can see why the posters rave about the handling of the Giant (and I'm a cannondale fan),

Looking at the rear shock, on the giant its at the crank meaning lower central gravity as opposed to the cannondale design.

And if I'm not mistaken, changing direction is what mtbikers do most of the time right? If we were comparing road bikes I'd say Cannondale.

Giant is not much slacker in the head angle and is shorter in wheelbase. I prefer direct steering of the Cannondale and the Lefty is hard to beat but Anthem may be a better all rounder for most. The Scalpel demands your constant attention. No rest for the wickedly fast

Edited by GoLefty!!

Scalpel, if you ride like a neurosurgeon.

Anthem, if you ride like a monster trucker.

(Guess which one has more fun)

Edit: Apologies to my 1 friend who rides a Scalpel like it is a monster truck, you are not normal! ;)

Edited by DJR

Scalpel, if you ride like a neurosurgeon.

Anthem, if you ride like a monster trucker.

(Guess which one has more fun)

Bwahahahahaha....

Classic

Anthem. Hands down.

I have just bought one, and I can assure you, that Maestro suspension is everything they say it is.

It is flawless.

I used to own a scalpel, and it spent more time in the workshop sorting that Lefty out, than out on the trail.