I said I'd never buy a road bike.........

Raydek

So about a month after I started mtb'ing (about a year ago) I can remember thinking and saying to my wife, why would anyone want to ride on the road, mtb'ing is so much more rewarding.

So as I brace myself for the torrent of comments that are surely to follow, I have found myself looking for a road bike. Mainly because my wife needs a cycling partner as she trains for IM 70.3, but also because the few short rides I have done on the road with my MTB have been not at all bad.

I must say that one aspect of choosing a bike that is confusing me is what size to go for. I have inputted many bodily measurements into an array of website fitment programs and have not once gotten the same result. All seem to vary from 56-60cm, does that 4cm really make a difference, or will any bike within that range be ok?

Also, as I don't know how long this sudden love of road riding will last, so I am looking for something cheap, really cheap.... I have seen some old bikes in the classified section and also on the unspoken of gumtree for around the R1000 to R3000 mark, has technology change so much in the past 15 years that I will notice a major difference between a bike that old and one of the last few years?

Lastly, should anyone have a nice road bike standing around at home gathering dust, please list it, cheaply :whistling: :whistling:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude Road riding kicks ass! I ride with my wife all the time! our bonding time! If you smart with buying 2nd hand stuff and building your own bike off here you can do it cheap man! Look out for the 2nd hand Raleighs! the components can be used on a better frame later on! :)

And by the way, MTB is boaring!

Bumped for Friday, can't wait!
Doesn't Friday start after 5 pm on a Thursday?

Huh, loop me in please...

Dude Road riding kicks ass! I ride with my wife all the time! our bonding time! If you smart with buying 2nd hand stuff and building your own bike off here you can do it cheap man! Look out for the 2nd hand Raleighs! the components can be used on a better frame later on! :)

And by the way, MTB is boaring!

Boaring

Boaring

Boaring

Boaring

Boaring

http://replygif.net/i/377.gif

Never say never, especially re. any bike at all, even a unicycle should always be on your menu. Now start reading up about cyclocross, downhill, tandem, BMX, dirt jump, time trial, track, fixie, single speed, cross country, enduro, all mountain, trail......what am I forgetting?

Guest EdEdEd

So as I brace myself for the torrent of comments that are surely to follow, I have found myself looking for a road bike. Mainly because my wife needs a cycling partner as she trains for IM 70.3, but also because the few short rides I have done on the road with my MTB have been not at all bad.

Also, as I don't know how long this sudden love of road riding will last, so I am looking for something cheap, really cheap.... I have seen some old bikes in the classified section and also on the unspoken of gumtree for around the R1000 to R3000 mark, has technology change so much in the past 15 years that I will notice a major difference between a bike that old and one of the last few years?

Lastly, should anyone have a nice road bike standing around at home gathering dust, please list it, cheaply :whistling: :whistling:

Schwinn fastback, lovely bike for a good price!

you wont regret trying out the black stuff

Schwinn fastback, lovely bike for a good price!

you wont regret trying out the black stuff

And the sizing???

cyclocross, downhill, tandem, BMX, dirt jump, time trial, track, fixie, single speed, cross country, enduro, all mountain, trail......what am I forgetting?

Kickbike? Tricycle ? :whistling:

Edited by IH8MUD

Ride harder with the mtb - there are plenty of guys in the starting groups with mtbs that finish with the front guys on road bikes.

Guest EdEdEd

And the sizing???

Thats done according to inside leg measurment...

Or as I did it.. tried a bike out and luckily it worked

Thats done according to inside leg measurment...

Or as I did it.. tried a bike out and luckily it worked

I'm 190cm with a 34inch inseam, yet all sizing programs/sites give me different frame sizes. Will a few cm in frame size make a big difference?