Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

Enough has been said about the water points.

My first race in 9 years off the bike. This was awesome....

I just think that the people who cant ride a section or scaffolding should keep right so it makes space for us who want and can ride so we could also enjoy the ride. Also I think some of the construction of the on and off ramps could have been better constructed because by the time 2000 people went of it it fell apart in some sections. But it was a good challenge to get over them. Sure the organizers would better on this next year.

The bottlenecks was not that bad made new friends had some good laughs.

Thanks to all the organizers & marshals & everyone evolved.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVED it...

a super fun route, ideal to ride the SS on...But as has been mentioned here already, I thought there’s room for improvement.

Water points have been mentioned over and over already, I got by on one bottle but I wanted some water to rinse the valve, wasn’t too keen putting it in my mouth.. but that’s my own fault for not having an extra bottle with which I should know by now.  

Taking into account this was the inaugural event, I’m sure the organizers will  learn from their mistakes. 

I think they did a great job in general, I loved seeing parts of Jozi I normally wouldn't've ....

I know litter is an issue here but it's so sad how much is actually out there :eek: so many beautiful places, specially along that river next the the M1, in a terrible state :thumbdown:

The bottlenecks.... expected, but as has also already been mentioned it was technically challenged riders causing more of a hold up than anything else. I’ve got no room to complain about being stuck in places, if  I was fast enough and was seeded better I’d’ve had less stopping issues, plain and simple. I think my total time was about half an hour more than my moving time, so not that bad.

The tunnels could’ve done with a bit more lighting, but next time I’ll know to fit my light, again simple solution.I was very grateful for the guy in front of me in the Anatomic Tunnel for having a seatpost light, so I just followed him. :D 

heard and saw tons of falls too, tunnels were tricky and slippery.. but, I made it through ok.

I'm no expert but maybe something (rubbery?) could be added to the stairs and the ramps to help with grip with cleated shoes, all those ramps were rideable but not when people in front were pushing. 

Medal, bell,banana, pat on the back at the end.. whatever, not phased.

I just wanted a beer!! :P which I smashed in the beer tent straight after :clap: 

I’ll definitely enter next year :thumbup:

This was my exact attitude, if you got caught up you were seeded badly, train harder start earlier.

Other than that, take it easy and enjoy the parts of JHB you cant normally ride and add it to experience.

Chill out people. Its a bike ride.

Seems like the event was a success. Sorry that I missed it, even if it was to cheer you all on from the sides. 

For all you guys that wanted a medal and not a bell, get yourself a lanyard and hey presto, a medal with a difference! :)

Well done to everyone who rode & finished.

I was more asking out of interest and wondering how much people need to drink.

I believe you train to ride and train to drink.

Yesterday was very cool, I spent quite a substantial amount of time on the road bike, had one bottle and still had about two sips of water when I finished the ride.

I tend to drink very little. In winter I can do a 40km train ride with 1 bottle. when it is hot in summer I do need to double that intake. Two bottles normal size. I ride with a fit friend who is also a dietician and he thinks I am a nutter, he takes a lot more fluids with him, about 2 litres total.

I tend to drink very little. In winter I can do a 40km train ride with 1 bottle. when it is hot in summer I do need to double that intake. Two bottles normal size. I ride with a fit friend who is also a dietician and he thinks I am a nutter, he takes a lot more fluids with him, about 2 litres total.

Drink about the same.

Pretty much agree with everyone's feedback so far.

• Water Points. I had a 2l camelbak which was near empty at the scout hall jumps on the spruit.
    Well done to the team that set up the private waterpoint there!! You guys are epic!!,
  • Bottlenecks.
    Inexperienced riders walking over obstacles and up ramps that you can ride no problems. Definitely need B lines or stairs for these riders.
  • Bell? I'd also rather have had a medal.

That said, I actually loved the Atomic tunnel, riding in the dark was epic fun!

I thought the course obstacles were sufficiently varied for most riders, making it feel like a Warrior challenge on wheels. 

The atmosphere was very enjoyable, especially the heckling of the XC guys and those queue jumping  :D

In all I had a great time! Will definitely do it again next year.

PS: If I wheelied past you on a couple of those long uphills, sorry  :P

Edited by NukeproofPeanut

I am a competent rider and would have ridden all the technical sections. I was seeded in Group S and I don't know how they worked out the seeding. If you were in the first couple of groups you would have had a great ride but group s for example was a nightmare with over an hour of waiting at bottle necks. I carry enough water for the whole ride so do not care for the water points but if you say you will have two then have two with sufficient stock. Bell or medal makes no difference but when I finished they could not even supply a drink at the finish line that is poor organisation. Overall I think the ride was dangerous for the level of many of the riders and I have not seen as many people stretchered away as on the ride yesterday.

when I finished they could not even supply a drink at the finish line that is poor organisation.

Not sure who else got, but I was handed some Volvo branded bottled water by somebody.

I can't picture this area. Where about is it?

Just after the Scout Hall, the little stream crossing... before Ballyclare bridge

So I see a lot of riders were  carried away on stretchers ? Because the race was technical or because they were exhausted ? 

Did anyone make it up and over the bridge, on your bike, over Rivonia Road?

I went flying up it, really easy with more than enough traction! Unfortunately the marshals wouldn't let us ride down, and we had to walk/slide down. This was pretty scary for me! My shoes (Gearne carbon) had zero grip! Would have been safer to let us ride down

I went flying up it, really easy with more than enough traction! Unfortunately the marshals wouldn't let us ride down, and we had to walk/slide down. This was pretty scary for me! My shoes (Gearne carbon) had zero grip! Would have been safer to let us ride down

I reckon this was the case on a lot of the bridges. My shoes also had no traction on the metal... I felt much safer on my bike!

Only 1

apparently one of the juniors in A bunch managed to get up, the rest had to walk.

I think they built it with the ramps on the wrong side.

If most of the ramps had a bit of horizontal strips it would have made walking a lot safer.

Not sure, I made the second bridge, first one over oxford was two packed to go up but did ride down.

EDIT: Nevermind, just realised that one was closed when I got to it.

Edited by Vangar