Average watts for sub 3 Argus?

jkoorts

2011 - Time 3:14, weight was 68kg, Avg watts was 177.

Power was measured with a Polar Wind Power Meter

2013 - Weight was 68kg, bike weight unknown

Time 3:19 - Avg watts was 164. So I reckon 250 will do the trick

Edited by Wil6

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the WATTS !!

If your average speed is at 30km/h or above on your rides you can get a sub 3hr.

Simple

and if you can do it by keeping your cadence above 90 (make sure you keep as high a cadence uphill as possible) even better.

KISS.

but i averaged 32km/h according to Strava and racetec..

Perhaps to make the values more comparable, experess it relative to body weight (watts/kg).

Then also just list your finish time, and perhaps bike weight.

We should then be able to do some regression work to find a rough average.

No!! .... 30km/h on training rides but that is on my own.

If riding in larger groups then higher.

I find that I pick up 5km/h on my average speed quite easily when doing the Argus.

(done 24 ave 3h10/15)

My strava guestimate was just 313W, weighed in at 81kg with a 9 ( :blush: )kg bike

That seems like a lightweight compared to my 92kgs :mellow: ....guess I need to hire Marcel Kittels legs to generate enough watts to keep up :whistling:

Edited by Winstonian1984

a lot depends how you ride it, below is a link to my file as you can see the first 2h i was flat out at the bunch at 240w ave and NP around 280w

http://my.virtualtra...ar&period=month

Graph does not show wattage, but if you did an average 240W-280W doing a 3.22 then two questions: Did you stop somewhere for a smoke break or do you weigh 90+?

Edited by jkoorts

2011 - Time 3:14, weight was 68kg, Avg watts was 177.

Power was measured with a Polar Wind Power Meter

2013 - Weight was 68kg, bike weight unknown

Time 3:19 - Avg watts was 164. So I reckon 250 will do the trick

213w, 69kg at 2:58 from one of the posts here. So I'd say 210W.

Average power for my argus was 2.9W/kg, 5min peak power was 4.8W/kg. Time was 2:57.

Average power is ok as a general benchmark but 5min power (how hard were the hilly bits) is as important.

Average power for my argus was 2.9W/kg, 5min peak power was 4.8W/kg. Time was 2:57.

Average power is ok as a general benchmark but 5min power (how hard were the hilly bits) is as important.

I like this. Shows you plus minus what you have to do in short bursts in order to stick to the bunch.

I like this. Shows you plus minus what you have to do in short bursts in order to stick to the bunch.

Hahahaha! Avg 300w. Peak 5 min 500w.

All day. All night. Pfft.

This is a more accurate reflection of what's required, for any race for that matter.

Supposedly, sitting in the bunch, using as minimal force on the pedals as possible.

Most time is lost on climbing.

Consider the avg length and gradient of the climbs. Get some cool peak power going there (and train accordingly).

Forget the WATTS !!

If your average speed is at 30km/h or above on your rides you can get a sub 3hr.

Simple

and if you can do it by keeping your cadence above 90 (make sure you keep as high a cadence uphill as possible) even better.

KISS.

Ok, based on this I'm going for a Sub 3 next year. will need to get into the top groups, lingering in PPA 'I' and did a 3:36 Argus this year. :(