What do you think of e-bikes on your favourite trail?

Karakoram

If it gets someone whose not strong enough to get out and have fun great, I reckon they would have allot of maintence issues if taken regularly on trails so they wont last long. If the owner enjoyed it he may convert to real MTB which is great.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think e-bikes are great. The more people on trails, the more likely we are going to have new trails opened up, which benefits everyone. I don't really see them becoming a nuisance, it will mostly make the sport more accessible to people who are deterred by the big climbs.

I was lucky enough to spend 6 weeks riding in northern Italy at the beginning of the year where residents are given a 30% refund on their purchase of an e-bike - making them cheaper than a lot of normal bikes. There were a lot of people on them and not once did I see a bit of "abuse" of the trails or feel as if they made the trails unsafe.

If it means that my wife can keep up while we go uphill and I am spared the agony of trying to push her uphill I'm all for it. The real question is where to draw the line, i.e. when does an assisted bike become a motorized bike?

I have been looking at these for some time now and it seems like the initial issues are being resolved slowly but surely (weight, poor components, poor build quality and poor battery life / farmed energy retention).

YIKES - you're a braver man than me - I ride to get the hell away from my wife!

Well.... more like his bike dropped the roadies

Wel, yes, but Nicolas did very well in the Enduro world series last year, and I am pretty sure that when recovered from his injuries, he will drop those roadies on a normal bike as well.

EWS guys like Jared Graves and Nico Lau will give our local marathon pros a very good run for their money. They are extremely fit and strong.

they will be classified as "assisted / motorized" vehilces....... therefor not allowed on any tracks that don't allow motorbikes / quads / 4x4 etc.

Otherwise, like with the drones (quad-copters), the goverment will be clueless and just ban it!!!!!!!!

Don't know hey. Using an e-bike you'll need a lot of speed and a big jump to look over the walls at Nkandla.

I personally do not like the idea of e bikes on trails.

I do not believe they are safe for other users,these bikes can move fast and in the hands of an inexperienced trail rider can lose control and inure another person.

Keep ebikes on 4x4 and motorbike routes

E-Bikes can be good :thumbup: . . . the whole point is to make it easier. Get them. :whistling:

Thieves and bike-jackers are lazy, useless, bastards. (hens they do what they do) . . .

Their whole game plan and targets would instantly shift.

Why would they still want your S-works or Pinarello? It is hard work "trapping" that thing!

They would leave me on my "you-have-to-pedal-it- to-death-bike" alone . . . :ph34r: :devil:

Edited by IH8MUD

*Bruised ego alert* as longstanding Strava KOMs get knocked over.

More seriously, they don't spit fumes so it's cool

I have no objection with the elderly/infirm/lazy ones out there getting out on the trail and enjoying the great outdoors on an assisted bike but unfortunately these things are advancing so quickly that the thought of unleashing a few bratty teens on a public trail with the latest nuclearpowered e-mountainbike fills me with dread. It`s hard enough to dodge the motorized makroscooters (usually unsupervised) on public walkways so it won`t be long before an idiot on one of these runs over someone or their dog and gets us all banned. Keep cycling pure.

Edited by DirtyFrank

I have only one question - where can I buy one.

This the perfect way for my girlfriend to come riding with me, without me having to really slow down, and without her having to feel like she's dying just to get up a small hill.

I have only one question - where can I buy one.

This the perfect way for my girlfriend to come riding with me, without me having to really slow down, and without her having to feel like she's dying just to get up a small hill.

go knock yourself out. I've ridden one of these on a winetour offroad ride. they are pretty awesome!

http://easymotion.co.za/

I personally do not like the idea of e bikes on trails.

I do not believe they are safe for other users,these bikes can move fast and in the hands of an inexperienced trail rider can lose control and inure another person.

Keep ebikes on 4x4 and motorbike routes

That's nonsense

They are perfectly safe and move just as fast as normal bikes

Edited by Kranswurm