How would you react?

DPG

I think you let them off too lightly. Firstly, blixem the Gaatchie first, and moer him properly. The drivers are scared about losing the car if they get opfok, so they always chicken out. I use my helmut as a shield from knives and stuff and have studs on my gloves just for a great opportunity like this. Fighting after a ride is like smoking after sex - well worth the risks

If I need a smoke after sex, it probably means that I did it wrong in the first place. Same with needing a fight after a ride I guess...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done the same thing. I think it was a stupid thing to do. In the end, you can only lose. I've decided to never do stuff like that again, and make it my problem to make sure they can't come close to me. Hence the mtb commute. Off road wherever possible.

I know cyclists have rights and blah blah, but getting hit by that much metal negates any and all reasoning, logic, law, or anything else.

Dont react, he didnt hit you which is a pretty good result.

My big issue is that you are not doing the relationship between the cycling public and taxi's any favours, you also have to think about the taxi's attitude to the next rider that he comes along.

I use to have a really bad temper a few years back....but today you need to remember, if he runs you over by "accident"...he gets away with it.. maybe a fine and he carries on with his life. I Just ignore them now, and continue with my ride. Also, like DomP says, he cannot catch me as I can ride anywhere with my bike, but down the road he might take his frustrations out on a fellow cyclist..I would not want that..

Thanks for all the input! Yup afterwards I did regret my loss of temper and thats why I just wanted to see how others would have handled it! I suppose I lost it cos I am probably the most anal person when Im on the road. I obey robots and stop streets, hug the sidewalk tightly, cycle in reflective gear and have flashing lights both front and back! It has been said I look like a Christmas tree! Have had many previous incidents where I managed to keep my cool! In future it will be smile and wave! (But the mace will still be readily available)

So Sunday morning I was enjoying my ride until the following incident happened. Still questioning my Actions/Reaction and wanted to see how other hubbers would react.....

My questions are: Did I over react by hitting is mirror? Should I have just smiled and waved?

Should I have maced the F..ker?

Needless to say after this event I had so much adrenalin running through my body I did my best ever time to Hout Bay and back.

Hi DPG,

I have had a similar incident. I do a lot of road running. Taxi driver pulled off onto the pavement at 30km/h, and almost right over my right foot ant the rest of me.

I also provoked him by hitting his window as hard as I could, telling him off for driving like a lunatic. I wanted to beat his silly little head in up until the moment he got out his taxi with a beer bottle, with me having nothing else to defend myself with but my running shoes on my feet.

I told him to get back into his p********* taxi and f********. I was very relieved that he turned around and did just that.

In conclusion: this is Africa. Not going to change, only gets worse.

Take care.

SuperG

They think they the law and can do what they want, earlier in the year a buddy of mine was cycling with a few of his colleagues when they had a run in with a taxi driver and his sliding door operator,

Unfortunately for them my buddy is a police reservist and tasered the driver while the other two bliksemed his gaatchie.

Right but wrong.

Unless you have a 45.

There is no reasoning!

Now you talking !! bet if you had your firearm with you and presented it when he got out, the taxi driver would have had a different approach of respect. yes pick your fights but stop been a wimp and get trod on. you have as much right on the rode as the next...until you behave like a taxi driver.

Lycra's don't hide 45's

Problem when he pulls his first - might not be a 45 - you're stuffed.

My family is better off with a father.

Now you talking !! bet if you had your firearm with you and presented it when he got out, the taxi driver would have had a different approach of respect. yes pick your fights but stop been a wimp and get trod on. you have as much right on the rode as the next...until you behave like a taxi driver.

Yes... he'll back off and squeeze the next poor cyclist on his route off the road, most probably a lady or a youngster and not think twice or even look back. If you are stupid enough to pull a fire arm in a situation like this, please be stupid enough to use it in such a way that you get put away for 15 to 20 years as well. I don't want my wife to be the next rider that this taxi driver and his gaartjie come across.

Whether we like it or not, the taxi's trucks and busses are here to stay, so we'll just have to get along.

You went down to his level and got beaten by experience !

Seriously hitting his vehicle makes you the aggressor and him the aggrieved party !