Daryl Impey cleared!

NotSoBigBen

The problem is the following..........."Under WADA and UCI rules, athletes are responsible for substances which are in their bodies, even if it is shown that they are consumed unintentionally." Whether the UCI & WADA will appeal is another story.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the following..........."Under WADA and UCI rules, athletes are responsible for substances which are in their bodies, even if it is shown that they are consumed unintentionally." Whether the UCI & WADA will appeal is another story.

Another one of those little loophole sentences that would be quite heavily contested in an actual court of law.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Is it just me, or do others also think that the Pharmacist has not covered himself in glory here? So what happens if I'm allergic to penicillin and I'm there to collect other medication after he has handled penicillin? Surely there are protocols that need to be followed to prevent this sort of thing happening.

Edit: typo

Edited by River Rat

Another one of those little loophole sentences that would be quite heavily contested in an actual four of law.

Yeah its like saying don't breathe in case you oxidise.

Is it just me, or do others also think that the Pharmacist has not covered himself in glory here? So what happens if I'm allergic to penicillin and I there to collect other medication after he has handled penicillin? Surely there are protocols that need to be followed to prevent this sort of thing happening.

Thing is here the tests pick up minute portions of the contaminant, much less that your body would respond to, although that is my presumption without having the exact numbers.

Is it just me, or do others also think that the Pharmacist has not covered himself in glory here? So what happens if I'm allergic to penicillin and I there to collect other medication after he has handled penicillin? Surely there are protocols that need to be followed to prevent this sort of thing happening.

That Sir, is a damn good question which until now the defence committe have not responded to...yet.

Thing is here the tests pick up minute portions of the contaminant, much less that your body would respond to, although that is my presumption without having the exact numbers.

Playing devils advocate here:

I refer you to first para of Carpets post

Just a question: lets say I am allergic to nuts. How much nuts do I need to get in to get an allergic reaction... Not a lot.

Ok so I am allergic to Cat hair, I don't even have to touch the cat I just need to go into a room where the cat has been to show a reaction.

My guess the smallest quantity will show up in your bloods.

That Sir, is a damn good question which until now the defence committe have not responded to...yet.

Absolutely no need to answer, unless somebody actually does present with such a response. Has nothing to do with the case in question. Penicillin allergy not relevant to a positive probenecid test.

Are there not thresholds for banned substances that need to be met or exceeded in the tests for action to take place against the riders?

Absolutely no need to answer, unless somebody actually does present with such a response. Has nothing to do with the case in question. Penicillin allergy not relevant to a positive probenecid test.

It’s a relevant question on this thread, as Carpet mentioned earlier some people are highly sensitive to incredibly small amounts of [insert whatever] which suggests that if cross contamination as claimed in this case will produce a positive test then it will affect people who are allergic, which in turn suggests that we would have many cases on record of people suffering allergic and sometimes fatal reactions, all due to cross contamination at the pharmacy.

Playing devils advocate here:

I refer you to first para of Carpets post

yes but .. like I mentioned earlier, the technology of the tests now almost operate on a molecular level, we really need to get a grip on these numbers, like what would be an acceptable level of cross-contamination in a dispensary in medical terms? and how does this relate to the resolution of the drug tests?

Edited by kosmonooit

Are there not thresholds for banned substances that need to be met or exceeded in the tests for action to take place against the riders?

That's the problem, with drugs like Clenbuterol and the $h!t Daryl was bust for, there is no minimum level, they are totally banned, the laws have not kept pace with the technology of testing, contamination is the reason for most of these +ve test, the real problem is proving the contamination.

Edited by kosmonooit

Consider this, it takes one little swimmer to produce a hub judge.

So according to scale, we are probably talking micro grams here.

Sharp chirp! :D