Who has the right of way?

georges

Hardly hatin oom....also a proud member of said club. How do you know you are a dirt roadie

Own a roadbike

Love climbing & flats on district road

Know every inch of breedtsnek training route

Love racin

Not too good with tech stuff and rocks...

Know your FTP / MMP / Power to weight ratio for 20 min effort

yep, I am a dirtroadie

Its all starting to make sense... this is why you don't like the guys who are fast on the technical stuff

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly hatin oom....also a proud member of said club. How do you know you are a dirt roadie

Own a roadbike

Love climbing & flats on district road

Know every inch of breedtsnek training route

Love racin

Not too good with tech stuff and rocks...

Know your FTP / MMP / Power to weight ratio for 20 min effort

yep, I am a dirtroadie

Speak for yourself paleface! See you at D2D I hope.

They are in front of you arent they....hence they are better at that specific spot in the race. Not rocket science.

In my case because of a better seeding batch they got maybe 3 years ago ... and now they have not trained for a year, thus me catching up with them.

The only thing for me to do is to get to a better batch by hard training, and thus ensure I do not get held up again hopefully.

Edited by Kraggie

This past weekend I had quite a few issues passing people.

1. Firstly people taking the right hand line because it is "Smoother" then they complain if I pass on the left. (I never listen but could remember something about keeping left passing right being said at the start by the officials)

2. Same as 1. On a Jeep track with two clear lines. The huy rides in the right hand track and I go twice as fast down the hill. I shout coming past on the left. He has a fright and moves in front of me forcing me off the track.

3. District road. Why do people need ride the whole road chatting.

4. Also on smaller farm road but wide enough I was riding patiently behind a girl gossiping with her friend. When she noticed me she said sorry peddle harder and moved in front of he friend. I could see others were also annoyed.

The thing is if you keep quiet then be sure that your effort to get past might go unnoticed. Be sure when you communicate your intentions you do not startle the guy in front of you.

Also by keeping quiet you can startle a rider when going past him or her.

If you are the rider in front by keeping to the right I believe you forfeit the right not to be passed on the left.

HA! The Nissan Trailseeker this weekend was a shining example where the new climb they added was single track, up a hill that some people were walking out. On the left there was no space to move over and if you tried right, you'd P@#$ off a hill, hitting about 15 m of rocks before stopping.

I was stuck behind some guys because if you cant pass, then you're not supposed to lose your mind and be a dwis. Just sit back, save energy and blitz past as soon as it opens up a bit :D

As a rule of thumb the rider in front owns the trail;

Marathon;

When passing on wider sections it's polite just to warn a rider that you are passing so that they know you're there, in case they change their line.

If you're on a singletrack section, you must wait until you can safely pass the rider. Check your 'skillz' with your ego. Just say "track when you can please" and wait a bit.

If you're being passed on singletrack, check your 'ownership' of the trail with your ego. If that means interrupting your 'flow' for a second to allow a rider/s to pass. It's fine, you'll make it up easily.

Cross Country;

More often than not if you're stuck behind a rider, you're racing in the same cat. Too bad pal "track" does not apply unless you're lapping someone or behind another rider in another discipline.

Other than those two scenarios, you have to wait behind that rider until you see or make an opportunity to attack and pass.

Actually I'm not done.

The recent Nanaga inaugural race. I catch up to a female rider before she enters a building we had to cycle through. She is hardly my shoulder height and "drives a 29'er". So before she enters the building I politely ask to pass as obviously im uber nippy on my 26'er. Now try and picture this- a short girl on a big too big for her, trying to get up a single step but she is too tired. Here I am, building up rage because i'm waiting 2-3 minutes for her to get up that step and walk through the building (while im trackstand-rolling my way through) and it would have taken only HALF A SECOND to let me pass and be on my merry way.

Don't be scum, if someone catches up, they deserve to pass you and you ought to respect fellow cyclists, even in race conditions!

*rides

*bike

...and that is mighty self-righteous of you to decide who 'deserves' what.

Its all starting to make sense... this is why you don't like the guys who are fast on the technical stuff

nah more like non event in my life, they disappear come the first hill, never to be seen again.

I find if I need to overtake, a "Hi, mind if I pass on the right?" works like a bomb. Especially if we are climbing, guys move out the way no problem. I did enjoy this weekends race a few kays from the finish I slowly overtook a lady in some jeep track, and as I came past said," We are nearly there... lets chase some guys!!" She picked up her pace a bit and we pushed each other to the end.

Dirkitect by the looks of things.

Seems he has a problem with people being in front of him. Should put him behind the wheel of a blue lighter so he can have people move over for him on the freeways.

How is this made-up bluelightbully reference relevant to the topic? When I compete in a cycling race, I cycle my best. When I am stuck in traffic I am stuck in traffic. It is what it is.

In my case because of a better seeding batch they got maybe 3 years ago ... and now they have not trained for a year, thus me catching up with them.

The only thing for me to do is to get to a better batch by hard training, and thus ensure I do not get held up again hopefully.

Presies, luckily they get penalized in their seeding wrt old results. So in 3-5 races time you will be grouped with people that have avg race time....

How is this made-up bluelightbully reference relevant to the topic? When I compete in a cycling race, I cycle my best. When I am stuck in traffic I am stuck in traffic. It is what it is.

You've admitted to thinking that it's everyone's duty to move over for you. Especially if they're female, shorter than you, "drive" a 29er and are in front of you. In a race. Where it's your obligation (as the person behind said vertically challenged female rider) to find a place that is safe to pass. Instead of getting irritated when she doesn't.

But. If she got off and walked the step section, then she should have waited for you. Still. Your attitude in your post was clear for all to see. A very clear "me me me stravaaaaaaargh!" Mentality