The "I hate Specialized" Bandwagon...... what's the deal?

L.T.G

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really don't want a thread of people revealing on which special place they have the big S tattooed though...

Maybe that should be my next tattoo... :P

Really don't want a thread of people revealing on which special place they have the big S tattooed though...

you mean to day you don't have one already, such a noob!

Droenn specifically said a "big S" - it will match the "little S" and "medium S" ones I have... ;) :P

Droenn specifically said a "big S" - it will match the "little S" and "medium S" ones I have... ;) :P

jokes aside ... there are those that live among us

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wb8bAl1P-N0/SGoqIhUcnaI/AAAAAAAACk0/Zb1crqjwxG4/s400/specialized+tattoo.jpg

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/171/c/2/specialized_tattoo_realised_by_demomal-d547kug.jpg

Taken from the what is a Lefty thread:

Found this a few years ago on one of the MTB Magazine sites.

Specialized were dismayed to find during testing that their bikes converted to Lefties handled better than their own home grown suspension offerings. Initial discussions with Cannondale around licensing and manufacturing the Lefty for Specialized`s use fell through due to amongs others, cost, quality control concerns from Cannondale and Corporate pride.

I have also recently purchased a very lightly ridden epic,so after one ride the rear shock bottoms out and the forks feels hard.

So I whip them out and send them in ------------hello sir we have some bad news---the forks need new stauntions its a internal thing its not wear on the outside, so if you want the carbon unit R 5800 ,if you take the alu 2800,then there is rest of the service so all and all its over 7k

Hello sir you also need to replace all the rear bushing its a kit R 750

Not a happy puppy, but at least I look cool on it,,really,,,,,oh I got sucked into the brand thing well-- lesson learnt.

Top of the range is a expensive hobby. I have not spent nearly that total amount on my 3 year old scott 910 hardtail.

Better go  get the S socks quickly.

Rant over.

PS Previous owner was so kind to assist with some of the costs --great guy big thanks.

I have also recently purchased a very lightly ridden epic,so after one ride the rear shock bottoms out and the forks feels hard.

So I whip them out and send them in ------------hello sir we have some bad news---the forks need new stauntions its a internal thing its not wear on the outside, so if you want the carbon unit R 5800 ,if you take the alu 2800,then there is rest of the service so all and all its over 7k

Hello sir you also need to replace all the rear bushing its a kit R 750

Not a happy puppy, but at least I look cool on it,,really,,,,,oh I got sucked into the brand thing well-- lesson learnt.

Top of the range is a expensive hobby. I have not spent nearly that total amount on my 3 year old scott 910 hardtail.

Better go  get the S socks quickly.

Rant over.

PS Previous owner was so kind to assist with some of the costs --great guy big thanks.

That $$$ service bill sucks big time but I think that's more of a fox / rockshox issue than a Spez one?

:whistling:

Good on the seller for chipping in

That $$$ service bill sucks big time but I think that's more of a fox / rockshox issue than a Spez one?

:whistling:

Good on the seller for chipping in

Spez brain shocks can only be serviced at spez hq in stellies. And the labour charge is rof. The stanchions were killed by the previous owner not servicing it as he should've. Edited by PhilipV

I would never ever buy a bike that required agents only servicing. Ridiculous nonsense. Has anyone actually ridden a brain bike against say a Scott or other light carbon Ds marathon bike and FELT the difference??

I would never ever buy a bike that required agents only servicing. Ridiculous nonsense. Has anyone actually ridden a brain bike against say a Scott or other light carbon Ds marathon bike and FELT the difference??

There is a huge difference. But IMO the brain is more useful for xc racing where you need a hardtail to sprint out the saddle the one moment and then a dual sus the next moment. For marathon type riding which is more steady not so much.

1) Try getting your car serviced by an indy mechanic while it's still under warranty and then claiming for something which fails. Once it's out of warranty, you can do whatever you want with it.

2) Yes, there's a difference. You can feel it. On a longer-travel bike it's even more pronounced. I rode a 2016 Camber recently, running a Spike Valve (aka Brain) equipped RS-1. There is a *significant* difference when hammering out of the saddle, but square edged hits are still taken care of pretty well. It doesn't have as good small-bump sensitivity as a conventionally open compression damping circuit would provide, but it's a pretty good compromise in dealing with pedal bob.

I rode a mates Anthem yesterday.... lets just say we both felt the difference. Believe there was a visit to a concept store today, due to the Chalk & Chipotle difference. Pity I can't afford the new Camber.... or any other Spez right now.

There is a huge difference. But IMO the brain is more useful for xc racing where you need a hardtail to sprint out the saddle the one moment and then a dual sus the next moment. For marathon type riding which is more steady not so much.

Or just ride this. With the remote lockout I use my human brain to set the suspension like I want and the Spez brain bobs more out of the saddle. My Rocky locks out solidly and I can push the pedals as hard as I want with no bob. Going down the bike becomes plush at the flick of a switch and then I have the very useful middle trail setting as well. Since I use my human brain instead of a mechanical brain the maintainance cost is a lot cheaper:

_z5CbahQLzU8BNxrKqY5AUcyUGw7ZBSGnPN8j_uC

Edited by Rocky Rider