Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Does anyone know if STARZ channel is available in SA? I see its listed on my appleTV but when I try to subscribe for the test period on the net it says its not available outside the US. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

DSTV are going to retrench ppl. Re shape of the business they call it.

Unfortunately it is the trend at the moment. Quite a few companies that have initiated a Section 189 retrenchment process.

Their self service stuff was fairly decent from what I recall.

The call centers and walk in centers were always terrible.

We all predicted that would eventually happen.

If they adopted paid for streaming services on their sport and other packages, the story would've been completely different.  But they persisted with blind CEO's and outdated product offerings.

The inability to adapt to a changing market. More and more people are realising the benefits of VOD. If they came up with the sport on demand they might have a winning formula...

They should have reshaped their service offering while they still had the customer base. Now it is way too late. Most of their premium customers are gone. Only left with their low end service customers that was sponsored by the premium payers.

15 years ago I said they needed to offer more personalized subscription packages. I.e. each channel had a price and you pick the channels you wanted that fit into your budget.

Not long after wards they came out in the media saying they will stick to how they do business and offering customized packages is not their business model.

If they changed back then they would probably have been in a better position to adapt to the VOD changes they now compete against.

The problems DSTV have are larger than their subscription costs.

Repeats

Old content

Tons of boring content

PVR helped a bit in terms of schedules but it isnt a silver bullet either.

After having watched nothing but internet based tv for the last 4-5 years its very hard to go back to something like DSTV and try going through channels to see what is on. Netflix, Hulu etc are just so much better.

The problems DSTV have are larger than their subscription costs.

Repeats

Old content

Tons of boring content

PVR helped a bit in terms of schedules but it isnt a silver bullet either.

After having watched nothing but internet based tv for the last 4-5 years its very hard to go back to something like DSTV and try going through channels to see what is on. Netflix, Hulu etc are just so much better.

DSTV is a stale model from a bigone era, in the day of fibre and LTE internet why settle for somebody elses choice of what you can watch, when you have the likes of netflix where you can chose what to watch, when to watch..

I too could not imagine going back to that Model for entertainment.

And because they cannot adapt to the market demands, they too will follow the likes of Kodac and Ibm and all the other Boheamoths that failed to adapt

DSTV is a stale model from a bigone era, in the day of fibre and LTE internet why settle for somebody elses choice of what you can watch, when you have the likes of netflix where you can chose what to watch, when to watch..

I too could not imagine going back to that Model for entertainment.

And because they cannot adapt to the market demands, they too will follow the likes of Kodac and Ibm and all the other Boheamoths that failed to adapt

A LOT of people are still premium subscribers.

I also maintain that they would retain a bucket load of subscribers if they allowed mnet only as a subscription for whatever the price for standalone mnet is now..450 odd.... In fact they moved all old mnet users over to satellite about a year ago... But you can't buy it as a new service

Edited by Stretch

A LOT of people are still premium subscribers.

I also maintain that they would retain a bucket load of subscribers if they allowed mnet only as a subscription for whatever the price for standalone mnet is now..450 odd.... In fact they moved all old mnet users over to satellite about a year ago... But you can't buy it as a new service

The majority of subscribers I know who still have premium are only in it for the sport.

They need to look at international broadcasters like Fox sports etc who all have proper online services where you can pay to watch a single game if you like.