Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Plan B would have been Boyes Drive instead of Main road incase of roadworks, plan C would have been Ou Kaapse Weg instead of Chappies incase of rock falls, plan D would have been Ou Kaapse weg, Chappies instead of Muizenberg and Boyes Drive incase of other problems going up say Smitswinkel and a shortened route. I think the current plan is plan J or K in terms of risk assessment. 

Plan "Well ain't that some shi*!" :)

Edited by Vangar

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So question is, do we go for the new 3Hour Mark = 1.5 Hours or sit back and enjoy the ride?

Will probably come down to the day and us guys with the competitive steaks will just take one guy going a little quicker for it to become a race. :w00t:

I shall not be overtaken!

ha ha and then it is on like Donkey Kong!

It was clear on Monday that all those "might" not work, so they could have done a proper route plan north, for the "just incase"

Seems they lacked serious foresight

Dude go join the Cycle Tour Trust and you give it a bash then. Clearly they are desperately in need of someone with your analytical acumen! What could they possibly be thinking, it's only been 38 times they've run it without these kinds of issues before...

it feels like groundhog day... ok genius, which start venue could host 35 000 people, and where do they finish? Remember that any national road (i.e. road that starts with an "N") is out of bounds, and also remember that between 5000 and 10 000 riders stay in Cape Town within cycling distance to the start, so it will have to be close to a station or bus stop to transport these guys too. Remember also that full road closure is required, so where ever you go, you need to inform residents, have an alternative route for people to get in and out and have safe areas for emergency services and water points. Since its all so simple, I am waiting for your proposal in this regard. 

Why is a National road out of bounds?

Bloem hosts LOTS of races on the N1.

Kremetart has been hosting their race on the N1 for around 21 years?

N2 Natal cost.......

Blah Blah Blah.

It is not simple.  Nobody said it is.

Not is NOT complicated either.  Someone just needs to THINK. 

But it is "al in die rondte"....

There is no "Wrong" or "Right".

It just is.

Could they have planned better?  I believe they could have.  Does it matter?  No.

Will I enter again?  Never again.

See.....everybody happy.  :thumbup:

Why is a National road out of bounds?

Bloem hosts LOTS of races on the N1.

Kremetart has been hosting their race on the N1 for around 21 years?

N2 Natal cost.......

Blah Blah Blah.

It is not simple.  Nobody said it is.

Not is NOT complicated either.  Someone just needs to THINK. 

But it is "al in die rondte"....

There is no "Wrong" or "Right".

It just is.

Could they have planned better?  I believe they could have.  Does it matter?  No.

Will I enter again?  Never again.

See.....everybody happy.  :thumbup:

because the minute a road starts with an "N" you need to deal with Sanral. Do that in 3 days and have approval for the safety officer of the event by Wednesday evening... 

So question is, do we go for the new 3Hour Mark = 1.5 Hours or sit back and enjoy the ride?

Will probably come down to the day and us guys with the competitive steaks will just take one guy going a little quicker for it to become a race. :w00t:

I shall not be overtaken!

ha ha and then it is on like Donkey Kong!

Gonna make a day of it. Dressing up in superhero outfits for the better half and myself. Have purchased toy fireman hats to fix to the handlebars of the bike! Stopping just shy of face paint, as that stuff is not sweatproof! Tempted to bring some with to help paint a smile on for most of the distance delirious alternative route brawlers trying to confuse themselves for cyclists.. :devil:  :whistling:

Guest Karma

if you google that image you will find out that it is from America not from Cape Town. I didnt pay R1 000 to get my bike to Cape Town plus airfares to ride 47km so I will probably still choose to get a group together and go ride out in the winelands. While some people can do a 47km ride, others of us use our weekends for training. I salute the cause and if I lived in Cape Town still I would line up with glee, but after the effort and organising of getting there from JHB I would prefer to take advantage of some scenery and a proper cycle. I do 47km before work in the week. 

...how dare they #insultyoursport like this?!

I have not read most of the thread, its far too busy. But from my perspective, in response to the views expressed by @slowbee -

Plane ticket. Check

Accom booked. Check

Car rented. Check

Bike en route. Check

Race entry. Check

Credit card for @CWC 's stand at expo. Check

Awesome mates to enjoy 47km of fun, and a chilled weekend with. Check

Hello Cape Town. No brainer!

Guest Smimby

Dude go join the Cycle Tour Trust and you give it a bash then. Clearly they are desperately in need of someone with your analytical acumen! What could they possibly be thinking, it's only been 38 times they've run it without these kinds of issues before...

This is SA and thehub, we live here only to criticize