Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

I understand the disappointment too. It doesn't help to blame anyone but one should try and understand that for many preparing for the cycletour is a little like preparing for the arrival of a baby after 9 months, in this case 12 months, of pregnancy. I am by no means trying to minimize the suffering of those directly affected by the fire and our firefighters who did an amazing job. I think that for me it seems that not enough had been done by organizers i.t.o. a back-up plan that would retain a semblence of a cycletour. Was there never the option to start the race in reverse over Suikerbossie, over constantia nek, past Polsmoor to Westlake and then back to Town on the M3. We would have certainly gotten more than 47km and something that resembles more of a cycle race. Having said that, I am prepared to put all my reservations aside and see if I can make the ride memorable for the sake of everyone affected by the fire.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No you can't ride the 109 km route

No you can't do two laps

No they won't refund you your R400

No they won't come up with another long route before Sunday

But be happy,

Be happy that you are healthy enough and physically capable of riding a bicycle

Be happy that you can afford to ride a bicycle

Be happy you are able to plan and pay for a weekend to the coast

Be happy that you weren't one of the people who lost their homes in the fire

Be happy that you weren't one of the many animals that died in the fire

Be happy that the biggest problem you have in life is missing out on the Argus cycle race, because

apparently it is.

Sandro, I dont know you but I like you, alot

post-19421-0-52784800-1425584382_thumb.png

Edited by NixM

Sandro, I like 1000X!

We drove Ou Kaapse Weg totdat and it looks like a lunar landscape and was still smouldering. We were at Cape point and there was a big fire too. If i knew how to post pics with my tablet, i'd show you

If you use the 'more reply options' next to 'post' then you should be able to attach files, even in a tab.

What a sad thing to happen to this great event. I would be so disappointed if I had entered. Its just one of those things though. Sympathy to all the disappointed people.

Having toiled through this thread one thing bothers me a little. If someone is upset at the organization, or feels a better alternative could have been found, it doesn't follow that the person complaining doesn't care about an old lady whose house burnt down. Or doesn't care about burnt animals, or about hardworking fireman. It's a different issue. It reminds of of the days of PW Botha. If you dared to criticize him or his stupid policies you were automatically a communist. Well same thing here. You have a right to not like the shortened route. It doesn't make you a hater of fire victims.

Different things. Logic.

Yes indeed, everyone has a right to express their view, good or bad, positive or negative without been judged. Its not helpful to point fingers or thump chests, everybody is fighting their own battle and who are we to know what someone else sacrificed to make the event a reality for them.

Nobody would deny the physical tragedy or the loss, but many are just despondent and frustrated, they need time to consider and evaluate and come to terms, especially when they are so emotionally and financially invested.      

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Yes indeed, everyone has a right to express their view, good or bad, positive or negative without been judged. Its not helpful to point fingers or thump chests, everybody is fighting their own battle and who are we to know what someone else sacrificed to make the event a reality for them.

Nobody would deny the physical tragedy or the loss, but many are just despondent and frustrated, they need time to consider and evaluate and come to terms, especially when they are so emotionally and financially invested.      

most reasonable response in this damn thread yet. The judgements in this thread are despicable.

No you can't ride the 109 km route

No you can't do two laps

No they won't refund you your R400

No they won't come up with another long route before Sunday

But be happy,

Be happy that you are healthy enough and physically capable of riding a bicycle

Be happy that you can afford to ride a bicycle

Be happy you are able to plan and pay for a weekend to the coast

Be happy that you weren't one of the people who lost their homes in the fire

Be happy that you weren't one of the many animals that died in the fire

Be happy that the biggest problem you have in life is missing out on the Argus cycle race, because apparently it is.

Well said. If i could use all my likes on this one post I would.

My 27th and pleased it was not cancelled - there certainly are enough reasons to have called it off. However, I'll be at the start - another unique Tour to add to the detours, the big blows, the return to Chappies, the last ride over Kommetjie pass in the greatest city in the world. I fully understand the need to change the route.

On the positive side, Firstly, I'll take great delight in beating my son's best time for the tour - or maybe I should not count my chickens.... Secondly, the benefit of doing the Tour is in the preparation, not in the ride per se.

I understand the disappointment too. It doesn't help to blame anyone but one should try and understand that for many preparing for the cycletour is a little like preparing for the arrival of a baby after 9 months, in this case 12 months, of pregnancy. I am by no means trying to minimize the suffering of those directly affected by the fire and our firefighters who did an amazing job. I think that for me it seems that not enough had been done by organizers i.t.o. a back-up plan that would retain a semblence of a cycletour. Was there never the option to start the race in reverse over Suikerbossie, over constantia nek, past Polsmoor to Westlake and then back to Town on the M3. We would have certainly gotten more than 47km and something that resembles more of a cycle race. Having said that, I am prepared to put all my reservations aside and see if I can make the ride memorable for the sake of everyone affected by the fire.

If they did your suggested route, with Chappies closed that means that everyone living in Hout Bay would be stranded, have to stay home and there would be no motorised traffic in or out of HB for 7 plus hours. What do you think their reaction would be?

what about that hill that goes past the quarry onto durbanville hills wine farm ?

What about it?

If they did your suggested route, with Chappies closed that means that everyone living in Hout Bay would be stranded, have to stay home and there would be no motorised traffic in or out of HB for 7 plus hours. What do you think their reaction would be?

Always wondered about Llandudno as well...them being cut off during a normal Argus ...for about 8 hours or so..must be frustrating. ...

Always wondered about Llandudno as well...them being cut off during a normal Argus ...for about 8 hours or so..must be frustrating. ...

Its a very small community and many opt to go away for the day/weekend. The rest are on Suikerbossie giving us a big tjeer.

Perhaps it should not only be regarded as a solidarity ride in support of those who was affected by the blaze, but also a ride in support of reconciliation between CSA , PPA and the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.    

Perhaps it should not only be regarded as a solidarity ride in support of those who was affected by the blaze, but also a ride in support of reconciliation between CSA , PPA and the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.    

It is only a seize-fire, not a reconciliation. Expect some fireworks in the next 12 months, but this is totally off topic, so apologies to those following this fred. 

This is only speculative, but I foresee the finish to be

N2 to Strand Turn-off.

Straight into High Level Road

Turn right Glengariff Road

Turn Left onto Main Road

Turn right at Victoria Road / Main Road Roundabout

Turn Right at Beach Road Roundabout.

Mad sprint to the finish. post-5386-1425619573,9476.jpgpost-5386-1425619584,603.jpg

Does anyone have any official announcement on the details for the last 10km?

If you choose to "evaluate and come to terms with" your frustrations on a public forum, expect critisism and judgement from people who don't know you (especially if it involves taking potshots at the embattled organisers), you cannot demand the public out there to have insight into your private battles.