Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, I dunno. Cape Town would stand to lose, Alan Winde likes the idea of having it.

Quick question that I don't know the answer to - why is the east/south side of Silvermine not open to cyclists?  I know that the rest of Silvermine wasn't open for cycling a while ago and don't know the story to how that came about either.  
Looking at trail hiking maps it looks like there are a lot of trails on that side of the mountain - was just thinking that the fire could provide a nice opportunity to develop some riding trails on that side.

Or is this a total no go option for whatever reason?

Quick question that I don't know the answer to - why is the east/south side of Silvermine not open to cyclists?  I know that the rest of Silvermine wasn't open for cycling a while ago and don't know the story to how that came about either.  

Looking at trail hiking maps it looks like there are a lot of trails on that side of the mountain - was just thinking that the fire could provide a nice opportunity to develop some riding trails on that side.

Because bikes are EVIL!!! didn't you know?

I'm speaking under correction, but I think it has to do with a management policy to try and keep conflicting user groups apart and thus reduce the likely-hood of clashing. 

Personally I think there is enough proof that we can co-exist with walkers and runners if there is enough room for everyone. 

Ok, so here's where we get a bit sensitive.. pun intended.

There was someone who was not satisfied with the burn protocol of Table Mountain National Park so sought his confirmation from a prolific and sometimes rebellious in character scientist. This guy walked around showing anyone interested the email its contents to prove his point - Valid email or not, that's not my point.

So skip ahead to the fire and the timeframe we all rebuke as non-sensical, especially when compared to other areas.

The fires were still burning when a low-level report surfaced claiming the area would need 18-24 months in rehab, requiring Tokai to be closed to public access for the duration. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to work out that Table Mountain National Park is honouring the timeframe of this report, as it is deemed best by the man leading the project for the conservation of the area. I doubt Table Mountain National Park are forced into this timeframe either but considering the opportunity around closure for the pine removal, 18mnths may well be an accurate stab.

With the pines all being extracted in one year, the wide scale fire now lessens the burden of an ecoburn and Table Mountain National Park every year being critised by the public and others, around their ineptitude to conduct controlled fires.

Oddly, the guy backing the email is now also in the boat questioning why the timeframe is required, showing yet again that there are two sides to everything we wish for.

Who exactly are you referring to? You sure you got your facts straight about the reasons for contacting "the scientist"?

Personally I don't see the fault in asking questions of SANP, even if they are difficult? Or even getting some objective opinions.

Currently there appears to be 2 sides each with their own subjective views, there is possibly a more realistic reality somewhere in-between. Without debate and/or objective views this will not be found.

Without the objectiveness and/or transparency there will always be questions asked.

You shouldn't take a criticism of SANP as an attack on you.

I agree.  Any large organization especially statutory ones like parks deserve some decent crit to help them perform better. It seems to me some people would rather highlight what they perceive to be the worst in the MTB user group rather than examine the actions and behaviour of  the large organization in question...

I'm speaking under correction, but I think it has to do with a management policy to try and keep conflicting user groups apart and thus reduce the likely-hood of clashing. 

Personally I think there is enough proof that we can co-exist with walkers and runners if there is enough room for everyone. 

Indeed, the last 7 years in Tokai is proof of shared jeep track and how this came to being is through the horses making use of mountain bike designated areas. I see on the latest draft map the local horse group has put together shows all the JT in the mountain bike side open for use. 

Hopeful about coexisting. Just a bit of education around how to approach horses and we are set.  :thumbup:

..........Just a bit of education around how to approach horses and we are set.  :thumbup:

You mean to say there is another way? I thought shouting "Stravaaaaaaa" at 50 km/h in a cloud of dust with flashing lights and screaming brakes coming from the blind side of the horse was the only way to do it.

You mean to say there is another way? I thought shouting "Stravaaaaaaa" at 50 km/h in a cloud of dust with flashing lights and screaming brakes coming from the blind side of the horse was the only way to do it.

Sorry, did you just put up your hand to be the first recruit in, "final horse approach 101"?

On second thought, I doubt anyone will be able to unlearn that level of wrong, ever.

Quick question that I don't know the answer to - why is the east/south side of Silvermine not open to cyclists? I know that the rest of Silvermine wasn't open for cycling a while ago and don't know the story to how that came about either.

At the moment all options are being explored but nothing is going to happen too quickly.

At the moment all options are being explored but nothing is going to happen too quickly.

Nothing ever does...

Nothing ever does...

Except for Jonkers which had the fire later but opened ages ago. City dwellers need to get out to the Boland :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

So for the last 2 to 3 weeks we have been having awesome weather that would promote great foliage growth.

Are there any xtremely recent pics for us to have a look and see to what extent the plants have recovered?

So for the last 2 to 3 weeks we have been having awesome weather that would promote great foliage growth.

Are there any xtremely recent pics for us to have a look and see to what extent the plants have recovered?

I'd like to see this too