The Louis Meintjes Thread

Bianchisti

Caught some highlights on YouTube, I was a bit annoyed with him taking pulls with the GC leaders, he should really have just sat on and take the stage win and possibly Overall GC too, as he was clearly the strongest on the day. At some point off camera or it was just the highlights reel that didn’t show it but it looked like Louis had a mechanical, at that point he was 4th or 5th but somehow managed to ride back.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Caruso the strongest and Nibali blew up trying to stay with him. Great comeback by Louis after he got distanced. 

2 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Caught some highlights on YouTube, I was a bit annoyed with him taking pulls with the GC leaders, he should really have just sat on and take the stage win and possibly Overall GC too, as he was clearly the strongest on the day. At some point off camera or it was just the highlights reel that didn’t show it but it looked like Louis had a mechanical, at that point he was 4th or 5th but somehow managed to ride back.

Link? 

Somebody needs to give Maincheese some interval training!

He was climbing like a steam train but even the tiniest acceleration had him off the back.

Hopefully he is in fine form for the Giro. I'd love to see him back at his TdF top 10 form again.

Get him to ride with Girmay for a few weeks :-)

9 hours ago, Eldron said:

Somebody needs to give Maincheese some interval training!

He was climbing like a steam train but even the tiniest acceleration had him off the back.

Hopefully he is in fine form for the Giro. I'd love to see him back at his TdF top 10 form again.

Get him to ride with Girmay for a few weeks 🙂

Louis’s performances still remain a bit of a mystery, a rider at that level surely has coaches and knows what kind of training to do and yet……

Maybe that is as good as it gets, he is riding at his limit and simply cannot go any faster.

Anyways, well done Louis 🤘

5 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Louis’s performances still remain a bit of a mystery, a rider at that level surely has coaches and knows what kind of training to do and yet……

Maybe that is as good as it gets, he is riding at his limit and simply cannot go any faster.

Anyways, well done Louis 🤘

Maybe the guy is cursed with zero fast twitch fibres and can only diesel along. He went from a distant 4th to second in under a km so his "diesel" is still pretty rapid.

My silly critisism aside it was great seeing him on the podium again and 2nd on GC!

Goooo Maincheese!

• 2 months later...

incredible ride overshadowed by that pesky 22yr old yorkshireman.

current KOM standings, (but barguil is gone). can he get into polka and take it to Paris?

image.png.9e209cf3d06cd5a8c74eb891c177e103.png

he would need to get in the break on some mountain days to score big points, and hope the GC guys (JV/Pog) don't take it on the final climbs. St 14 (tomorrow) has 20 points available from 4 cat3, but St 16 seems the most likely one to get into polka and then pick what comes.

stage 16

image.png.473b6cfbe5cdeaf968075cd9b0229fab.png

Stage 17

image.png.72ee926e6960b0ea576c4601b1a6f916.png

stage18

HC, 1, HC (finish)image.png.a70e653e85cc63fe83152d1de92e1fbb.png

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

IWGM are an ambitious team. I'm sure they will have a plan.

It would be really awesome to see an SA flag on the honours board

Was going to remark, yes, @Jewbacca

The Intermarchy’ team environment seem very wholesome (can’t think of a better word on a Friday evening) and unlocking the best of potentiality of their athletes. 

I’m sure that he will be given the green light by the DS to go for a stage win again. There’s still a few opportunities between now and Paris.

GO, Louis!!

Edited by 'Dale

• 1 month later...

Many thought that his career at the pinnacle of the sport was over; definitely me too. The little climber from a little country at the foot of Africa achieves his first WT win. 
Louis is now a bit of a breakaway artist! Team IWG keeps on delivering. 

“It’s something really special, I think it still needs some time to sink in. I’ve actually never been on the podium of a WorldTour race except for team classifications so that was one of my main goals before stopping my career…” 

848C8E69-C808-41F8-BE6B-CD6E40C0F6A3.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale