• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have never met but I am following this thread with much interest. We have been playing with the idea of emigrating for a while now and due to a series of VERY unfortunate event completely out of our control we are now looking/have decided to take the leap.

Big step with a 10 year old but we are brave

Your stories are giving us hope and belief that we too can have a BIG ADVENTURE.

Thank you

Keep your posts coming

At the weekend our farmer neighbour mentioned that he had something heavy to move so today I popped in to see if he still needed a hand. In fact he'd already done it and they were busy eating a spot of lunch.

Of course farmers-wife Rosa insisted that I join them for a small bowl of stew. It's amazing how much stew you can eat in the time it takes your IPad translator to fire up and tell you what animal a "conejo" is . . . .

#bugsbunny

At the weekend our farmer neighbour mentioned that he had something heavy to move so today I popped in to see if he still needed a hand. In fact he'd already done it and they were busy eating a spot of lunch.

Of course farmers-wife Rosa insisted that I join them for a small bowl of stew. It's amazing how much stew you can eat in the time it takes your IPad translator to fire up and tell you what animal a "conejo" is . . . .

#bugsbunny

Was that in the stew?

#bugsbunny

we should be eating a lot of that in SA. They breed like rabbits (duh!) so should be dirt cheap.

#bugsbunnysemoer

Yeah - Rabbit Stew - it was actually very nice if you could get past the "uuurgh" factor. I was extremely polite and did what I had to, not wishing to offend anyone.

So far we've eaten chicken that was "walking around in the garden yesterday", lamb that was born on the farm and only a month old and now rabbit stew.

It's like an episode of "Survivor", for goodness sake!

:-)

Yeah - Rabbit Stew - it was actually very nice if you could get past the "uuurgh" factor. I was extremely polite and did what I had to, not wishing to offend anyone.

So far we've eaten chicken that was "walking around in the garden yesterday", lamb that was born on the farm and only a month old and now rabbit stew.

It's like an episode of "Survivor", for goodness sake!

:-)

real food. you don't know how lucky you are.

real food. you don't know how lucky you are.

You're right. It is good wholesome food and always with a chunk of bread and a glass of home made wine.

I've made a habit of counting the cats and dogs before we eat now though.

Bonus, this blog of yours has not only been great to read, but I'm actually using it for a bit of my own research. 

The missus and I have been wanting to leave for some time now, and after our recent holiday in Catalunya we've fallen for the country and have now decided to start making active plans. 

First thing will be to learn the language. So from next Tuesday I start my Spanish classes :).

We are looking at the Girona area, but anywhere in the Costa Brava will be perfect.

Once we are eventually ready to take the plunge (10 months to 1 year from now) I'd like to get in touch with you and ask your advice on all the steps we'll need to take (permits, legal, financial, etc) if that's ok?

Bonus, this blog of yours has not only been great to read, but I'm actually using it for a bit of my own research. 

The missus and I have been wanting to leave for some time now, and after our recent holiday in Catalunya we've fallen for the country and have now decided to start making active plans. 

First thing will be to learn the language. So from next Tuesday I start my Spanish classes :).

We are looking at the Girona area, but anywhere in the Costa Brava will be perfect.

Once we are eventually ready to take the plunge (10 months to 1 year from now) I'd like to get in touch with you and ask your advice on all the steps we'll need to take (permits, legal, financial, etc) if that's ok?

With pleasure. Anytime you have a question just ask.

Of course you will get all the help you need. This was the reason Bonus started the thread. When we mentioned to people what we had planned there were so many of the same questions. Earlier on the thread Bonus used to give a bit by bit account of what we were doing and the obstacles we found.

Good luck and happy learning Spanish. We did lessons with a Colombian teacher, we speak or pretend to speak and understand here and we practise everyday and it's still difficult so do not worry if after all your lessons tu no habla muy bien [emoji15]

Oh and tombeej I have downloaded Dualingo and do a bit of Spanish everyday. It's quite popular with the expats too.

Will try it out, thanks Wendy