Cycling No Nos!

Patchelicious

LMAO,

With my bulk i descend like a brick off a cliff.

I have had race snake weight weenies ride in to the bush to get out of the way when they hear the commotion behind them as I go downhill....

Intimidation and a lot of back pedalling of Hope hubs also works on the tight single track....

Sadly though age and bulk are working against me and I am not getting to do that much passing any more.

Sheesh man, I lost my mind on W2W last year, day 1 and 2 my partner and I climbed really well through seeding groups (hard work - really really hard work - not the fittest of riders), only to get caught on day 3 behind really fit guys walking on switchbacks and actually getting off in most corners - they would fly past us on the flats and climbs, and every single singletrack section that gets just a tiny bit (hold your thumb and forefinger 3mm apart and look at it) tech, they would completely bomb out, stop everyone behind them and demand that you stop behind them and respect their right to size up a corner before taking it... and then they kind of walk their bike through it and get on on the other side.

On day one there were also the amazing people that would stop on A-frames - right over the apex - so everyone close behind them start falling over backwards and sideways, whilst they stand over the bike feet on both sides - blocking the way completely to stare down the other side - as if the course builders had somehow wanted them to fall off into the great abyss if they were to commit to riding over as one should.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ever consider the fact that you sweat because you're wearing a buff???

those holes in your helmet are there to cool your head.

wearing a buff or peak cap under your helmet is the most idiotic thing a cyclist can do because it stops any possible airflow and forces your helmet upwards into an incorrect fitting position.

i know someone who wears a peak cap under his helmet to "keep the sun out of his eyes". the funny part is that the helmet has a peak already  :thumbup:

Bollocks. We wear them to stop the harsh sun burning our bald patches and necks - best thing ever invented!

Sheesh man, I lost my mind on W2W last year, day 1 and 2 my partner and I climbed really well through seeding groups (hard work - really really hard work - not the fittest of riders), only to get caught on day 3 behind really fit guys walking on switchbacks and actually getting off in most corners - they would fly past us on the flats and climbs, and every single singletrack section that gets just a tiny bit (hold your thumb and forefinger 3mm apart and look at it) tech, they would completely bomb out, stop everyone behind them and demand that you stop behind them and respect their right to size up a corner before taking it... and then they kind of walk their bike through it and get on on the other side.

On day one there were also the amazing people that would stop on A-frames - right over the apex - so everyone close behind them start falling over backwards and sideways, whilst they stand over the bike feet on both sides - blocking the way completely to stare down the other side - as if the course builders had somehow wanted them to fall off into the great abyss if they were to commit to riding over as one should.

This seems to be an issue on ANY mtb race. What my buddy and I have discovered is that the riders who do this (MAJORITY of them), race past on flats and hills, are roadies that have finally evolved forwards to Mountain Biking.

The moment they see a pebble (use same "thumb and forefinger 3mm apart and look at it") they hit the brakes and go into full blown panic as if the grand canyon just opened in front of them.  Like those "massive" rollers at Big Red Barn on the USN race or the mud puddle that will dirty their fancy carbon road shoes. Or the "gnarly" rock garden that is actually just a tiny bit of loose sand and pebbles.

And in true roadie style (again MOSTLY, not all of them), they will be arrogant A-Holes and block the entire path and waste every ones time coz they didn't think to skill up, as well as nut up, for an OFF road race.

This is a Mountain Bike race. Not a Bring-Your-Bike-Hike! If you cant ride the simplest of "technical obstacles"(pebbles and mini rollers), Don't enter and ruin every one else's day.

Ja, well, I have to say I disagree with this IQ.

I've always ridden in baggies 'cos I'm not an exhibitionist and I'd always thought that the various folds, bulges and ridges of my member should be hidden from public view lest they provoke uncontrollable mirth and even heartfelt commiserations to my missus.

But upon joining up with my current club (CycleLab Fourways), I was given a shiny new blue cycling shirt emblazoned with the SuperSport logo and the word TOYOTA on the front and back in bold red lettering.....and a pair of bibs with TOYOTA all down the legs and in a prominent place on the arse.

I felt like a pro! Team SuperSport/TOYOTA! And I couldn't wait to wear them for the next Saturday club ride.

They were great I tell you. Just really comfy, and I was starting to wonder how much I could get for my old sweaty baggies on the Hub Classifieds when my front wheel hit a tussock of grass.... No real biggie, it just slowed me momentarily and caused me to slide forward off my saddle.

It was when I powered down on my right pedal that things got a bit more interesting. The chamois of the bib caught the underside of my saddle and, as I powered down, the tip of my saddle made short work of the point zero zero one millimetre of lycra and inserted itself, with what felt like the utmost joy and vigour, about four inches into my rearward cavity.

It felt like I'd won a weekend getaway at Leeukop Prison. I came away from the whole experience with a new respect for gay men who actually do that on a voluntary basis..

:huh:

I think your new team needs to teach you how to ride your bike properly boet...

This seems to be an issue on ANY mtb race. What my buddy and I have discovered is that the riders who do this (MAJORITY of them), race past on flats and hills, are roadies that have finally evolved forwards to Mountain Biking.

The moment they see a pebble (use same "thumb and forefinger 3mm apart and look at it") they hit the brakes and go into full blown panic as if the grand canyon just opened in front of them. Like those "massive" rollers at Big Red Barn on the USN race or the mud puddle that will dirty their fancy carbon road shoes. Or the "gnarly" rock garden that is actually just a tiny bit of loose sand and pebbles.

And in true roadie style (again MOSTLY, not all of them), they will be arrogant A-Holes and block the entire path and waste every ones time coz they didn't think to skill up, as well as nut up, for an OFF road race.

This is a Mountain Bike race. Not a Bring-Your-Bike-Hike! If you cant ride the simplest of "technical obstacles"(pebbles and mini rollers), Don't enter and ruin every one else's day.

some heavy stereotyping this. What did roadies ever do to you?

The moment they see a pebble (use same "thumb and forefinger 3mm apart and look at it") they hit the brakes and go into full blown panic as if the grand canyon just opened in front of them.  Like those "massive" rollers at Big Red Barn on the USN race or the mud puddle that will dirty their fancy carbon road shoes. Or the "gnarly" rock garden that is actually just a tiny bit of loose sand and pebbles.

no TRUE 'roadie" would ever be seen dead even standing too close to a mountain bike soooo...................

you shouldn't generalise about what you think you know (and obviously don't) about 'roadies" :ph34r:

"evolved forward to  mountain biking" HA :wacko: only golfers evolve forward to  mountain biking :thumbup:

Edited by velomonatiCT

I get out of the way on the climbs for stronger climbers. If I let you pass on a climb, have the decency to get out the way when I'm coming down the hill faster than you, when you're not that fast.

THANK YOU!

I do the same. Then people think I'm the **** for complaining about it afterwards.

You enjoy uphills, I enjoy downhills, don't hog the entire width of a jeep track on the descent because you think no one will catch up to you. And when they do you then arrogantly block those trying to pass by pretending to not know they're there.

Edited by sadamhussein

I get out of the way on the climbs for stronger climbers. If I let you pass on a climb, have the decency to get out the way when I'm coming down the hill faster than you, when you're not that fast.

As weak swimmer / stronger rider - don't let me get started on the Xterra riders....  :wacko:

This seems to be an issue on ANY mtb race. What my buddy and I have discovered is that the riders who do this (MAJORITY of them), race past on flats and hills, are roadies that have finally evolved forwards to Mountain Biking. Why don't you get fitter and faster and get to the downhills before them?

Don't enter and ruin every one else's day. Why? So you wannabe mountain bike gods can have all the fun? Maybe you should consider DH as there are no flat and up-hill parts for you to get your ass kicked...

Wow, these MTB'ers seem to be a bunch of sad people.

Why is it so difficult to give each other space on the trails?

Exactly, some people faster up the hills, let them past there.

Some people are faster down the hills, let them past there.

Consideration for your fellow rider! Its easy.

What is not cool is coming here and starting this "these chicken race snake dirt roadies that cant go around a switchback" or "these fat MAMILs who cant climb a hill".

There is not always the need to diss those people who are in a different mould than you.

And never forget that you are not a cycling god, there is ALWAYS somebody better/faster than you!

... or just stop doing races and go ride on other places where you can have the singletrack to yourself? Still won't solve the spruit-issues, but somewhere there will be a track that is still relatively open.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Surely if they were THAT incompetent you wound't have been behind them?

Road shoes on mtb

Not giving way for faster riders...up or down

Not getting off the track if you are walking your bike or have a technical.

Dog walkers :cursing:  

Edited by 1skinnyman