Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

Making a few entries into the "Little Black Book" as I read through these posts..... Going to make browsing the classifieds a bit easier in the future!

From a seller's perspective, if you place an ad in the classifieds it is (IMHO) normal to add a bit of fat onto the price so that should you need to trim it a bit, you don't expose the bone.

If you get an inquiry and the buyer is sincere (you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly) then you do the right thing. (This is where the ethics come in) I work on first come first serve. Cash in hand and all that. No dibs. A non refundable deposit secures the purchase. If you want to bid, then go sell on an auction site.

If you are dealing nationwide, you let the people inquiring know that you are dealing with another person and that if that sale falls through you will contact them.

I think it's more about integrity than anything else. Try and treat others as you would wish to be treated.

As a buyer, don't make inquiries about something that you have no intention of buying. "I am interested but I have to check with the boss first" is a bull**** call. If that's the type of relationship that you have, then check with your wife first before you send the message or make the call FFS.

Generally speaking though, in modern society it is abundantly clear that morals, ethics and integrity are slipping. Fast....

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more about integrity than anything else. Try and treat others as you would wish to be treated.

This is probably the truest statement that has been made on the Hub in a while. Like x 10000

It is also a comprehensive statement that is applicable to many many topics here. One that if applied will prevent many problems and gripes.

But we tend to think that we are more special than others and only certain rules/ ethics apply to ourselves.

Edited by Patchelicious

Adding to this - if the seller sold to the higher bidder after the agreement had come into play (acceptance of the deposit subject to terms) then the initial buyer would be within his rights to demand that the seller provide him with another bike at the same price, in the same condition, regardless of the cost to the seller. 

That's if he decided to take it to the small claims court, and if the seller disputed the claims, had sufficient evidence in the form of telephone recordings and / or text / email messages etc. 

and this is why all my inquiries etc are done via email or chat. This then gives me a paper record of conversation and once buyer/seller agrees the rest is history

Here's an ethical dilemma.  You're selling a bike and a buyer who hasn't seen your bike says he will definitely take it (at a discounted price) and promises to pay you R1000 deposit with the balance once he picks it up.  You say that the deposit secures the bike and buyer commits that he WILL take it.  

Before buyer 1's deposit is in your account, buyer 2 comes along and offers you a better price.   Can you sell the bike to buyer 2?  

WHAT I WOULD DO: Call buyer 1 and tell him that buyer 2 has offered more.  Buyer 1 must match the price or buyer 2 gets the bike.  

In this scenario, my belief is only once the deposit has come through, it's a done deal and I wouldn't back out at that point even if a better deal comes along. 

It's all about communication.  As a seller, either don't agree to hold the item for someone on the basis of "dibs" or if you do agree then you must hold the item.  You were dumb enough to agree to dibs so stick to your word.  

But as far as I am concerned I won't accept dibs.  If you haven't paid and someone else comes along, your rights are zero.  

The decent thing is that if someone has given you a firm commitment to take an item, it's only right to inform the first guy that you have a 3rd party interested and it's first come, first served.  But that's it.  Don't come crying to me that you were waiting for your aunty to pay you blah blah.  I've had too many guys promise me this and that and then...nada.  

Been there, done that.

Buyer and I agreed on a discounted price, there were counter offers at full price, buyer 01 was given the opportunity to finalise the sale at the discounted price first and if he did not want to proceed the offer of sale would move onto buyer 02 at the full price.

Once you have committed to a price with someone and another party comes along offering more, I feel you are obliged to honour your discounted price with the first buyer before moving on and I also feel it is not right to then try and bully or push buyer 01 to match buyer 02's price. How would buyer 01 be certain that the seller is also not just pulling a fast one with a fictitious buyer 02.

This is probably the truest statement that has been made on the Hub in a while. Like x 10000

It is also a comprehensive statement that is applicable to many many topics here. One that if applied will prevent many problems and gripes.

But we tend to think that we are more special than others and only certain rules/ ethics apply to ourselves.

fully, fully agreed.

Coincidence... now this morning.

I have an ad up for 10k , on parts worth double ... after weeks on hold... guy offers me R6800.00  (sighhhhh). Politely said thanks for the offer but not interested, Have a nice day. Cheers

Smile and wave ... just smile and wave  :drool:

Coincidence... now this morning.

I have an ad up for 10k , on parts worth double ... after weeks on hold... guy offers me R6800.00  (sighhhhh). Politely said thanks for the offer but not interested, Have a nice day. Cheers

Smile and wave ... just smile and wave  :drool:

I see the problem.

u need to change ur username from BMW to GWM... 

About two years ago I was selling my MTB. I got a call from a chap in cape town I think. Stating he wants the bike and I should send him more pics. I sent the pics and then confirmed that I would courier it at the buyers expense.

The buyer then replied and said his mate is going to phone me, because he is buying the bike. Then I got a text to say il be contacted on Monday.

By then I was like whatever dude. Story started sounding a little dodge. I then decided to sell the bike to a guy in middelburg, who got straight into his car and came and collected the bike.

I let the guy from the Cape know that I wasn't proceeding with the deal and that I decided to sell to somebody else. So both him and his mate gave me a negative rating on the hub about the same deal.

I'm not to worried about the rating as cash is king, and their deal was just not worth the time, the other buyer didn't have any issues.

If I had to do it over I would do the same thing. Call me dodgy or what ever you want, but I myself have bought many things of the hub. If it is what I want I pay immediately. Don't come with stories and please send 700 pictures and then say somebody else will phone.

Might I say that "the golden rule" should be a moral guide in all dealings. Although some people are so morally depraved that even this rule may falter in some instances!

"Do to others what you would have them do to you"

So is this the same?

I'm interested in ad placed, I send a pm, stating that I will take the bike, at his asking price, and ask the seller to send me his bankdetails so I can make eft payment.

Get a pm back from seller, someone else contacted him just before me, they're coming to have a look the following day and he will let me know if they don't take it....

Now I know I'm not compliant to the Roux'tjie rule, but makes me wonder why I bothered...  Not dissing seller, just ticked I wasn't in time....

(Added some)

Edited by Warthog

ALL My adds clearly state to call for priority option, I don't log in 24hrs a day to check PM's and comments... so unfortunately a PM or the proverbial dibs might go unnoticed until much later .

Direct communication(verbal) avoids complications and shows interest . Even when i hit the Dibs call i make sure to phone immediately .

Good luck to all for future dealings, and thanks to the ethical guys for making it a pleasure doing business.  :thumbup:

As a buyer, don't make inquiries about something that you have no intention of buying. "I am interested but I have to check with the boss first" is a bull**** call. If that's the type of relationship that you have, then check with your wife first before you send the message or make the call FFS.

Generally speaking though, in modern society it is abundantly clear that morals, ethics and integrity are slipping. Fast....

ppl waisting your time asking questions that are either abundantly apparent or are even on the ad,just for the sake of asking and have no intention at all in buying . Also why do ppl feel it necessary to put negative comments on something they also have no intention on buying or are even remotely interested ? Agreed wtf ? Why would you not have something else to do more constructive.

As you said it comes down to morals,ethics and the type of person you are in everyday life.

Edited by Aka pikey