Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

I don't believe so; the seller is entitled to sell to whomever he/she wants and the buyer is entitled to back out of a deal.

There is no contract until money/goods have exchanged hands.

Now that is where you are so very wrong.

The Hub operates within the jurisdiction of the South African courts, and so the SA law of contact applies.

A contract is NOT established by the exchange of goods as you claim.

An enforceable contract comes into existence when there is an agreement with regards the price and goods to be exchanged and the intention at that stage to be bound.

Once you have this agreement, neither the buyer nor the seller can back out. If one party does so, the other can sue for due performance or damages.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People like to bitch for the sake of bitching. Quite frankly, if I am selling something I can sell to whoever I want to. It's my thing. Even if you called dibs, if another person offers me more, I have the right to sell it to that person.

Unethical is someone advertising something as like new but when you get it, it's a piece of ****.

Let's flip this around.

One of my classifieds ads has had 11 separate people call dibs and confirm that they will be taking said item. 4 of those people I arranged a time/place to meet to do the sale. Not a single one of those people pitched and only 1 apologised for not being able to make it. Ultimately this exercise has been a giant time waster for me.

So, should I be giving all 11 bad ratings for a failed deal, or just the 4 rude people? I don't believe so; the seller is entitled to sell to whomever he/she wants and the buyer is entitled to back out of a deal. There is no contract until money/goods have exchanged hands.

This experience (and others like it) is why I'll happily do a deal with whomever is the first to pony up the cash.

Thanks for showing us your character...mental note on my side, don't EVER buy or sell anything to you two. What are you if your word is worth nothing...

edit...ah my bad, just checked you post count...as you were

Edited by rouxtjie

You are 'entitled' to do whatever you feel but as stated here this is a 'community' where people share the same passion and generally behave to the norms of society and that means not being a tjop.

As per Rootjie's 1000 post rule and from the statements I see here there are a couple of people I will immediately strike off my 'to buy from or sell to list' - but that's just me

Thanks for showing us your character...mental note on my side, don't EVER buy or sell anything to you two. What are you if your word is worth nothing...

edit...ah my bad, just checked you post count...as you were

lol. You can do whatever you like. I honestly could not care. I've bought plenty of items on this site already with no issues at all. Just because I don't agree with the general b*tching on this site for everything does not make me a bad buyer/seller. But yeah, each to their own.

I negotiate deals based on a willing buyer/willing seller principle. If I've committed to such a deal then said deal is executed. I have on numerous occasions rejected buyers from attempting to snipe/outbid other buyers, due to previously committed negotiations. Calling dibs does not entitle one to said item.

The seller rating button is just not being used. I have sold some things, and havent had any negative or positive ratings handed to me :wacko:

However, I have experienced similar to the op before from another website, and it aint cool at all!!!

Report the seller so everyone knows he is not trustworthy

The seller rating button is just not being used. I have sold some things, and havent had any negative or positive ratings handed to me :wacko:

However, I have experienced similar to the op before from another website, and it aint cool at all!!!

Report the seller so everyone knows he is not trustworthy

+1000!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect example...Crankset was advertised for R900.

I had that from him as well when it was slightly cheaper. If you want R1250 then advertise R1250 that way the first guy to put his hand up will be on the same card as the guy later on in the day who wants it and you're happy to take the coin for. Or auction it.

No, it's not bitching as many people seem to think, I just think it's a weird way of doing things. 

Bought and sold stuff here with no troubles.

When selling:

First guy to arrive with the money, gets the deal. Dibs se m**r.

I won't negotiate on price until we're face to face, and you can make a call on the item's condition. I describe my goods very conservatively.

When buying:

When can I come see? If you tell me someone has dibs I lose interest.

If I arrive and someone beat me by a couple of minutes. That's how it goes.

I also don't waste my time coming to see if I think the item is way overpriced.

All this said, I've also bought and sold sight unseen, even paying in advance. There I rely on gut instinct and so far I have been lucky. But I like to think the best of people.