Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

Theoretically it's at the sellers discretion but normally if someone calls dibs then they must move forward making a solid undertaking to pay for the item immediately or at their earliest convenience(when back at the office/home etc). It can be used as a stalling tactic though, dibs I'm keen to take it but wait what size/type/condition, oh sorry it's the wrong one I'm out.

There is an unspoken dibs rule though, first to pm/sms/phone etc the seller and will pay the asking price has right of first refusal. Okes can get seriously miff if they believe they were first and the item gets sold to someone else, but it's not their call to make, just one of those things, move on.

The bottom line is if you see something you want in the classifieds jump right on it, things at the right price go literally in minutes, as anyone who trawls the classifieds will have experienced.

Slx brakes for R1k, gone!

Xt crank for R500, gone!

DAMMIT!

And those who snap up the bargains sell them again for a profit..

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And those who snap up the bargains sell them again for a profit..

Yeah AlanD. That irks me big time!!!!

I don't enjoy seeing that, feels to me that it goes against the grain of the community vibe.

Doing it if you genuinely bought something and then don't need it and see it was underpriced originally or I suppose even purely for profit every once in a while but doing it wholesale seems like taking advantage of the community. Or at least do it on the down low, have some qualms, don't stick it in everyone's face the very next day at double the price.

Then again people doing that aren't scamming anyone so perhaps it is fair game.

I don't enjoy seeing that, feels to me that it goes against the grain of the community vibe.

Doing it if you genuinely bought something and then don't need it and see it was underpriced originally or I suppose even purely for profit every once in a while but doing it wholesale seems like taking advantage of the community. Or at least do it on the down low, have some qualms, don't stick it in everyone's face the very next day at double the price.

Then again people doing that aren't scamming anyone so perhaps it is fair game.

Its a really controversial topic as technically it not wrong, you buying and selling for profit.

On the flip side it's not cool in terms of the hub community like you say and people need items or want them badly but really have little spare cash in these hard times and they are being screwed over each time.

Personally i dont like it and wouldn't do it. Hubbers are great and can give really good items at great prices that makes you feel part of something special but that is ruined by the sharks. Its not cool at all.

He does have the risk of not selling the item again.

I suppose the question is as a seller would you rather sell to him or be stuck with your item for weeks?

i have not read this entire thread so please forgive me if this has been discussed already , what really pi$$es me off is when an item is posted for sale and other hubbers then comment on the price being to high or they paid cheaper .

let the seller ask his price, its all about supply and demand if his price is too high he will soon realize and make the necessary price adjustment failing which his sale item will not sell. 

Edited by bassasdaindia

What happens if an item/bike is not as stated...can we get hubbers from close by to go to a house with baseball bats?

Edited by antonj

He does have the risk of not selling the item again.

I suppose the question is as a seller would you rather sell to him or be stuck with your item for weeks?

The main culprit would watch(seems to have toned it down these days) the classifieds like a hawk and cherry pick all the bargains, then shamelessly resell them the very next day in the same classifieds section but at often at double the price. Takes some of the fun out of the classifieds when someone does that.

i have not read this entire thread so please forgive me if this has been discussed already , what really pi$$es me off is when an item is posted for sale and other hubbers then comment on the price being to high or they paid cheaper .

let the seller ask his price, its all about supply and demand if his price is too high he will soon realize and make the necessary price adjustment failing which his sale item will not sell.

i have not read this entire thread so please forgive me if this has been discussed already , what really pi$$es me off is when an item is posted for sale and other hubbers then comment on the price being to high or they paid cheaper .

That's people looking out for each other, I've learnt some awesome things via that type of comment. And it typically only happens when a seller is asking crazy prices or implies something is a bargain when it clearly isn't.

What happens if an item/bike is not as stated...can we get hubbers from close by to go to a house with baseball bats?

What dodgy item are you trying to sell ;)

Who should "rate" first? Seller or buyer?

On a few occasions I see the seller not rating the buyer but the buyer rating the seller and visa versa.

What is the ethical and acceptable way of going about this because if I do not get rated when buying or selling after having given a rating, I delete my comment.

Maybe I am just a poor buyer?

I think the rating system should be used more often and maybe made compulsory after any transaction?

Anything to weed out the dodge deals taking place.

Edited by Sepia

Who should "rate" first? Seller or buyer?

On a few occasions I see the seller not rating the buyer but the buyer rating the seller and visa versa.

What is the ethical and acceptable way of going about this because if I do not get rated when buying or selling after having given a rating, I delete my comment.

Maybe I am just a poor buyer?

It's niether here nor there who rates first. If you had a good experience being a buyer or seller then give a rating.

I often ask buyes to give a rating as most dont really do that and then i also give a rating for them. If a buyer was good i would rate then as so.

Transactions don't take place through the hub , so you can't make it mandatory to rate a seller . Else everyone would have to rate everyone for nothing

Ok then why not do it through the hub

Or make a template review, just like we send PM's or friend requests we can send review forms, again provided we know the seller or buyer

So I differ, I will take the time to help the individual as sometimes they are blissfully ignorant.

Just the other day I "helped" somebody to see the workshop stand he was selling was advertised for more than the new price.

Its the buyers duty to verify whether the pricing is right, can't complain agterwards if you pay too much.

The main culprit would watch(seems to have toned it down these days) the classifieds like a hawk and cherry pick all the bargains, then shamelessly resell them the very next day in the same classifieds section but at often at double the price. Takes some of the fun out of the classifieds when someone does that.

you can't really stop it, and I wonder if he really makes that much of you consider all the time that goes into monitoring ads, arranging a purchase, receiving goods, putting up a sale, arranging with buyer and then shipping. One or two bad deals as you're buying off pictures and back to square one