The NON-LCHF thread

jcza

TBH, I can prbably benefit a whole lot from the LCHF approach, but they lost me at Beer = Carbs = Bad...

They clearly have never seen me ride a bike after a beer and pizza at Alehouse....

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey. I don't know, lets just look at what the best riders in the world eat in order to perform at their peak.... Carbs. Well that solves that one. I don't see any tdf team not chowing buckets of carbs. Case closed, sorry Timmy. :P

Please apply common sense in proportioning food intake to work load.

There is the health/performance balance. A Pro cyclist has little interest in health as long as he/she can ride fast n' long. Us normal folk not earning a living on a bike should try find some middle ground.

I tried the Banting thing with no effect to my weight (but with an increase in Cholestrerol), although I know it does work for some people.

Recently though, I started a thing called the ZONE Diet, which just makes you regulate you Carbs, Protein and Fat. The most important thing is to cut sugar, and cut "bad" carbs. This means less potatoes, and more broccoli. Just common sense really. I can also eat Lentils, Chick peas etc, which keep you feeling full.

1 month in with similar amounts of exercise and i can see the difference. 

The best thing is that a block or two of dark chocolate a day is quite acceptable.

What is "moderation" And please define "balanced" with metrics? As in how much of your calorie by %.

For me balanced is 50% carbs, 45% Protein and 5% fat. Eating whole grains / whole foods, unprocessed meat, vegetables and cooking/preparing 90% of the meals myself so I control how it's cooked and what goes in. Eat about 2000 calories a day and have lost 18kg and then maintained my weight and body composition goals.

Besides some cytomax and GU (During races and long training rides), I avoid supplements and and weight loss products like the plague.

Everyone is differnt though but that's the way i do it.

The problem with this is we don't train nearly as hard as the top athletes. They eat enough carbs to sustain their activity level. If you sit in front of a desk and eat like they do you will get dik! :-P

If cycling isn't your career I think the LCHF will provide you with more than enough energy. I snack on chilli nuggets with fat on an d cabanossi during races and my energy levels is fine, I do take a hammer gel every now and then. I do spend 4+ hours in the saddle.

Eat when hungry and STOP when satisfied! Get rid of the mentality that I have food in my plate and I have to finish it! That is not moderation!

I do also enjoy my craft beer and eating right weekdays and having my beers on weekends my weight has been constant for 6 months now after losing 15kg.

I am not an expert but for doing this for a year its my lifestyle now and it works for me!

I think the intensity of the riding being done is also a factor. Riding at 25km/h and 40 km/h have different energy requirements. For me anyway. The higher the intensity the more carbs I need. 

I agree with the intensity thing. On Sunday I did the 15km 702 walk with family. Took four hours. Never ate or drank a thing, not even water. Breakfast was two boiled eggs. I was feeling fine. A real amble.

Then yesterday did a hard ride. 2:45 minutes. Maximum HR was 199. I was starving after despite having half a tin of condensed milk on the ride.

I am going to wait a few years until Noakes brings out another book based on research he missed. I figure 3rd time lucky...

Personally, I have cut down on carbs quite a bit and sugar features only in my diet on weekends with the odd 70% dark Lindt chocolate on a Sat or Sun. Its amazing how much sugar is packed into the average chocolate once you have tasted dark chocolate. I eat fat and drink full cream milk

I am not a pro cyclist and at 40 its not going to happen (I don't think?). I want to enjoy life which means I don't expect to look like a skinny upper body has been superimposed onto massive legs like a TDF cyclist. So I eat healthy organic food, no boxed meals nor breads of any colour, loads of veggies with healthy meat. And I read whats on the boxes of certain things. I exercise regularly and for me, intelligent food choices will keep me healthy, let me live longer, but still enjoy life.

I am going to wait a few years until Noakes brings out another book based on research he missed. I figure 3rd time lucky...

Noakes doesn't need me to defend him but people seem to miss the fact that his high carb dietary advice in the 80's & 90's was for a person trying to run their fastest possible marathon. His switch to LCHF has been for health reasons. I reckon he was correct then and now. You want to reach your potential in endurance sport, eat plenty of carbs. You want to be healthier, cut carbs.

LCHF does not make you faster....

Dropping weight does make you faster...... but for max race performance, you need carbs as fuel....

(even Tim says this....)

1st attempt at LCHF I hardly lost any weight because I was only looking at percentages and making sure I eat enough fat. Bottomline I ate too much. 

2nd attempt I watched the total calorie intake and would you believe it, I actually lost weight. In fact I lost 5% but my times and power was 10% down. 

There seems to be plenty hubbers thinking we want to be pros, no we don't but there is age group competition. Guys work just as hard because training needs to fit in around normal life. Whether its the Epic or the local USN race it makes no difference. 

As for Noakes' advice of loading your diet with fat I'm afraid the jury is still out. 

What I don't understand about this whole diet thing is that everyone seems to want a "system" and/or answers. They seem to crave a directive from an expert - man there are so many experts out there...

There is no system.

There are no short cuts.

There are no quick fixes.

There is no "one size fits all".

There are no miracle cures.

There IS you and your body.

Try a few things. Race on different stuff (not important races). Cut out the bad stuff (we all know what bad stuff is!). If you're fat eat better/less and train more.

Some food is good for the body and some is good for the soul. Too much soul food makes you fat and useless - too much body food makes you lean, mean and grumpy as all hell.

Balance things.

We all know exactly what is good and bad.

Try and keep the bad to a minimum and the good to the maximum.

Stop trying to read yourself thinner and faster. Eat and train yourself thinner and faster. And happier. A man without beer, chocolate and red wine is no man at all.

A man with all the beer, red wine and chocolate is really popular but flippin slow and fat.

Stop looking outward and start looking inward - take responsibility for your input instead of following the latest "expert".

Phew. I feel way better now :clap:

What I don't understand about this whole diet thing is that everyone seems to want a "system" and/or answers. They seem to crave a directive from an expert - man there are so many experts out there...

There is no system.

There are no short cuts.

There IS you and your body.

Try a few things. Race on different stuff (not important races). Cut out the bad stuff (we all know what bad stuff is!). If you're fat eat better/less and train more.

Some food is good for the body and some is good for the soul. Too much soul food makes you fat and useless - too much body food makes you lean, mean and grumpy as all hell.

Balance things.

Stop trying to read yourself thinner and faster. Eat and train yourself thinner and faster. And happier. A man without beer, chocolate and red wine is no man at all.

A man with all the beer, red wine and chocolate is really popular but flippin slow and fat.

Stop looking outward and start looking inward - take responsibility for your input instead of following the latest "expert".

Glad you feeling better now  :thumbup:

I decided against quoting every little bit I disagree with so as not to upset any of the Noakes Disciples that made their way over to this thread. Those indoctrinated people can be so dangerous....

It is really simple. Who has got what at stake with this "fat is OK" thing?

Noakes gets money for saying controversial stuff (again) knowing full well that when the eventual outcome becomes clear nobody will be able to take him on (it takes years for cardiovascular disease to develop).

The Disciples that obviously are keen on conspiracy theories and new medical facts (that are largely rejected by the medical community) - they will have new reasons why the plan didn't work. They will then file their new diet bible next to their magnetic wrist bands and garlic tablets. Alas they (and some of their kids) will pay with irreversible damage.

And then you have the guys that actually have money at stake. The Life Insurers. Please show me one that will accept you as a normal risk with an elevated cholesterol level. They only look at facts and proven data. Money is at stake.

The Ketogenic Diet (a true high fat diet) that is sometimes a matter of life and death in children with metabolic disease is often stopped because of the massive increase in cholesterol. They often die young of heart disease. This is old news but not very sexy and not marketable.

Funny how the current trial is being held up because Noakes objected to none of his peers being in the hearing. They never thought of asking a GP to sit on the panel due to the very technical nature of the hearing. Well the law is the law and they will now have a GP on the panel to hear the case against a GP.

What is ludicrous is how we have been bought by big business. The diet we have been eating for the past 30 years is not normal. Meat and vegetables are normal. Tons of sugar is not normal. Tons of highly processed carbs is not normal. Sugary muffins the size of your head is not normal. Only eating the muscles of animals is not normal

If you don't believe me go to a supermarket and watch what people are paying for. Not what they say they are eating. Look at what goes into the trolley. Then look at the shape of the person pushing the trolley.

Sugar in coffee. Sugar in tea. Sugar in biscuits. Sugar in just about everything. It's unnatural. The massive worldwide sugar production is abnormal.

There. That's my rant

There is no system.

There are no short cuts.

There IS you and your body.

Balance things.

I could kiss you right now.

100% true.

These!!!!! 100% spot on...

Feed my body during the week and my soul on weekends, and weekends generally include a lot more exercise to 'counteract' the soul food....

Archived