Statement on bike jacking incident at Die Burger MTB Challenge

News bot

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Faure sector ...... did not do the ride, but anyone have a route map to sow the faure sector ?

The local riding trails I use go through alot of Faure land and it would be great to know where I need to keep a look out more than usual.

I'm not sure if it's right to point the finger at dirtopia here. For me it would depend on where the route actually went. If it is pretty standard farmland, then surely not their problem as you can't anticipate everything - this has never happened before AFAIK.

BUT if it went past a known hotspot/seedy area and they knew about it and still didn't do much to check security/monitor then, and only then, you might have a bit of a case.

All those marshalls, all that security and still it wasn't enough. most depressing thought of all.

happily no one was injured but I think there is a responsibility here :whistling:

I disagree with you, unless it's clearly something the organisers should have foreseen I don't see why it is their responsibility to replace losses caused by criminals. As said earlier, this is the first time something like this happened, I myself wouldn't have foreseen criminals to be so brazen to attack a rider in a mass participation event.

I'm not so sure absolute safety along every meter of a route can ever be guaranteed.

A bigger issue though - can I assume the guy that offered 1k bribes (to the guards from a registered company) was arrested? Please tell me he did not just walk away.

One question I am always asked when booking venues for clients is....is it safe...my answer? How safe can you ever be anywhere at anytime in South Africa these days? If all reasonable precautions are taken then what more can you do?

I disagree with you, unless it's clearly something the organisers should have foreseen I don't see why it is their responsibility to replace losses caused by criminals. As said earlier, this is the first time something like this happened, I myself wouldn't have foreseen criminals to be so brazen to attack a rider in a mass participation event.

You're saying it's the same level of liability as if a cyclist was run over by a motor vehicle during an event i.e. it's part of the environment?

So, in our lovely and blessed land, we are not safe even during EVENTS any more?

W.T.F.

YOU know how many ladies i know and gents actually who  use races for training in a "safe enviroment"  rather than being attacked alone,, :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

my opinion only ...

the organisers are going to a lot of trouble to show how much responsibility they feel they have for a bunch of competitors who are made to sign an indemnity form that says the organisers take no responsibility for whatever happens ...

if they thought it was all safe why all the security and sector managers patrolling etc

and those indemnity forms count for nothing if its a financial arrangement (you pay them money to participate)

I think the organisers should be replacing bikes and equipment because they where obviously very aware of the security risks on the course and failed to adequately protect participants (I believe more than one person was mugged) who paid to take part in their event

happily no one was injured but I think there is a responsibility here :whistling:

Dirtopia usually have many sector managers along the routes for their managed events, that's just what they do.

Security was focused on the parking areas from what I have read, this makes sense as many bikes have been stolen from parked cars at events.

NOTE: Not trying to be an ass here, just going by how they have managed other events

Edited by Hairy