Statement on bike jacking incident at Die Burger MTB Challenge

News bot

You're saying it's the same level of liability as if a cyclist was run over by a motor vehicle during an event i.e. it's part of the environment?

I can recall a few PPA races where cyclists were taken out & almost taken out by cars - don't recall any lawsuits against PPA coming from this.

We would expect organisers to take reasonable precautions, if we expect organisers to indemnify us from every single risk then it would be too expensive & risky to host events

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

YOU know how many ladies i know and gents actually who use races for training in a "safe enviroment" rather than being attacked alone,, :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Pay to train, pay to race, pay with your bike to ride, Pay For the okes homestead, pay, pay. This place is just getting worse and worse.

so im just being argumentative here so forgive me ok :thumbup:

but they did forsee it otherwise why all the security if it was all safe then surely one car guard would have been enough ?

the fact that they laid on all the security and area managers indicates that they did forsee the need for all the security etc

which means they where aware or believed that there was a potential for criminal activity

Using your line of arguing you can say that every cyclist that falls and ends up in hospital can claim all their expenses and loss of income from the organisers. Given that the organisers have ambulances and medics on duty they obviously have foreseen that some cyclists will fall and are therefore fully liable.

I must say, if it was me, I would be gutted and would be asking some questions of the organisers.

However, that said, where do you draw the line?  How many people have had their bike nicked from the parking lot of an event?  How many have had their kit, helmet etc lifted while they have been enjoying a beer post event?  

All the organisers fault?

The sad reality of SA unfortunately. One would expect to be safe in an organised event because of the numbers of people riding but I guess the criminal waited until he saw a potential victim on her own and struck. Organisors took reasonable precautions but again this is SA and nobody is safe. Crime happens under the noses of police and security guards in every suburb . Criminals are running this country but before I get too political let me sign off.

Glad that the lady is safe and sound.

you can claim it apparently comes as insurance under your PPA membership /day licence hence the ambulance and medics etc (not sure about loss of income though )

:whistling:

I think I understand, just like you can claim your stolen bike from insurance?  :whistling:

The organizers are not responsible, the criminals are.

By trying to have a go at the organizers, you are having a go at the easy target. Much like the criminals do. Rather go after the criminals.

If you want to make a difference go support a crime fighting initiative, the last thing we need is organizers stopping what they do because we start attacking them.

Edited by Patchelicious

I am feeling very sorry for the victims of these incidents. But I cannot agree on some of the suggestions here. Leave the organizers out of this. The only effect you will have is that there will be no more events or the events will become very expensive. The real issue lies much deeper. It is is a self created problem due to the imbalance of the South African society. Nothing but long term investment in education and social upliftment will change that. 

my opinion only ...

the organisers are going to a lot of trouble to show how much responsibility they feel they have for a bunch of competitors who are made to sign an indemnity form that says the organisers take no responsibility for whatever happens ...

if they thought it was all safe why all the security and sector managers patrolling etc

and those indemnity forms count for nothing if its a financial arrangement (you pay them money to participate)

I think the organisers should be replacing bikes and equipment because they where obviously very aware of the security risks on the course and failed to adequately protect participants (I believe more than one person was mugged) who paid to take part in their event

happily no one was injured but I think there is a responsibility here :whistling:

The obvious reaction to this would be to ensure the organizers have absolutely zero security in future and use the lack of security as proof that they really did not expect any issues and were therefore not responsible in any way for any unfortunate incidents...