ScottCM

8 minutes ago, ScottCM said:

@dave303e I recall your extreme dislike for road running. With that in mind, what terrain has your training been for Comrades? 

I live about 7km from the nearest tar road, which I avoid at all costs(it is a death trap)

So dirt roads only and the odd dreadmill trap.

In march just before my qualifier I broke my pinky toe. I then ran the qualifier to make sure it was stuffed. So even though I qualified, I pulled out early in April because I was going to lose a month of running. I ran once last week and then promptly rebroke the same toe on the same step in the shower Sunday night. So I am back at square one hobbling around like a snipers nightmare with a pinky toe that looks like an overweight strangled smurf.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys anyone have expereince with running strollers ? Happy to go with Thule Glide 2 just not sure if there are any alternatives or recommendations out there ?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Zama7 said:

Hey guys anyone have expereince with running strollers ? Happy to go with Thule Glide 2 just not sure if there are any alternatives or recommendations out there ?

Thanks 

IMHO they are a LOT of money and most people I know barely used theirs.

I think I took mine for a grand total of 4 runs. The wife maybe 10.

The big wheels were cool for walking the greenbelts and vlei, but as a jogger, it is a hassle.

I DO know a guy who ran fast and often with a thule glide 2. Over chappies twice a day and even got a few amazing results at bay2bay and a few other runs.

But as I know at least 30 people who used theirs as gravel road/path strollers and 1 who actually jogged on the regular, he is an exception to the rule!

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

IMHO they are a LOT of money and most people I know barely used theirs.

I think I took mine for a grand total of 4 runs. The wife maybe 10.

The big wheels were cool for walking the greenbelts and vlei, but as a jogger, it is a hassle.

I DO know a guy who ran fast and often with a thule glide 2. Over chappies twice a day and even got a few amazing results at bay2bay and a few other runs.

But as I know at least 30 people who used theirs as gravel road/path strollers and 1 who actually jogged on the regular, he is an exception to the rule!

Ahh thanks good point but I have heard you can atleast use them till the child is 4 so atleast it's a good long term additional pram. Ideally want to use it for running to give the wife a break every now and then but yeah might end up not running as mush as I think on paper 

9 minutes ago, Zama7 said:

Ahh thanks good point but I have heard you can atleast use them till the child is 4 so atleast it's a good long term additional pram. Ideally want to use it for running to give the wife a break every now and then but yeah might end up not running as mush as I think on paper 

For sure. My experience is that it's a waste of money. But maybe you will do better than me.

In terms of prams, I put permatubes in the wheels so it didn't get flats. Getting flats while out sucks.

Agree with @Jewbacca between the two boys, I`ve used it a hand full of times to run.

Bought a secondhand BOB that went through 3 boys and then my 2.

As a off road pram, walking the dogs, exploring in the fields and along the river, was great!!!

Just never had the "vasbyt" to actually use it for its intended purpose.

13 hours ago, Zama7 said:

We had two. A Cellino jogger with the first child, and then a Phil&teds tandem pram when the second came along. 

Running with them sucks. We really tried,  but they only come into their own on as running prams on flat uninterrupted roads. They don’t turn well when on pace, so you don’t want corners or sidewalks. And they get heavy. We preferred running with them on the promenade or on platteland back roads. But it was good uplift time for us.

however, the thick air filled wheels are a game changer if you spend your weekends at markets, wine farms and nature reserve walkies. And it worked like a bomb for walking your baby girl to sleep on THOSE days.

So I recommend getting a 2nd hand one, you’ll use it a lot, just not how you imagined it.

I had the 25th anniversary Baby Jogger Performance. It was only good for running! Definitely not something you would use for weekend outings. I got it at an incredible price overseas - but my aunt still hasn't forgiven me for having to travel from the US via London with it and in and out of taxis. It was a beast of a pram. I used it regularly over about 8 years, through 3 kids from when my youngest was 6 months old. They all loved it. The trick was finding routes with nice long straight stretches and not much traffic. I even did a few races with it.

The other trick, like most outings with kids, is always pack snacks and drinks and nappies!

It's  definitely worth looking second hand. And see if you can test one out to make sure it's something you'll actually use. I also know a few people that got them and used it not even a handful of times.

I did countless runs with our Running Pram, especially to give myself some fresh air and give the wife some time off.

Two kids works fine, but they obviously tend to get into disagreements w.r.t. space. A single kid is very happy with the ample space.

I enjoyed running with it and once you are used to the handling you can really motor on flat and undulating terrain. Even clocked a Sub-5min/km 5k and a 5:25min/km 10k with a kid in the pram.

I see you are in Pretoorsdorp @Zama7, you are welcome to borrow mine with the option to buy if you'd like. I am not using it anymore

2024-05-09 11_40_01-Alwyn Viljoen _ Strava Runner Profile.png

2024-05-09 11_39_34-Alwyn Viljoen _ Strava Runner Profile.png

2024-05-09 11_38_10-Alwyn Viljoen _ Strava Runner Profile.png

19 hours ago, Zama7 said:

Thanks 

think I'm the same boat as @ridr

The Thule one seems incredibly pricey for what it is, but you see a lot of them around. I guess second hand market must be decent.

I had a bog standard one, hand me down at first. this did some jogging.

AP1GczN79UvxIH3oCms5UnFDtzTgCkNHVFvSjL_dXanfaojZ9PPI-6yKZyIxyO0FJNbumgUeCu-ayPzqynFBqH0g3OE-XxPWKM8a0FfsMB_0Y30pM4GOflMteS5yzR2V8XFDQKxxk-9IUd1iTUBgydpFJUK1C4RAM9guTs528pfz8cJ__OIFqlQX7zN79nXmI_YHonNxkSgRI6fIlZxzksQFO4WXZmvEpwlQmDf33WHQY-LQPbOadoTRaSIv3lII6DLw9xIFbOMdkegEXoBfaI9XrLZZoP1pW5R5QCt7Oawyp0Guq2Yy80BB2ljF5O-i2BUq7HudIal3b9M8AukF0lpJPkddWWajAAEkPxUm2q552qPFUDQvQsCtmcx37k4UfeqtWen24Wv6Y3FbegpG4qD_OM052-8Ag3UlEN0Z8Q47lvvsrD2WRjwbPMUEOiTbfuRHyj2fyERqseMo7JlmZ_gJQ9D9miIKwhxCEhovxMhgNsu3dgnLgBlmVCp_lU1DxUjBBSDZM8gQAloPnB66J7RmmvIv6BAZkVsKC4HwG-orvhHADw71NlBHLaEDyrMGTArBL8RVmA0jVk5S_q6RsBM3GDjSFtoDw7ph-Zu4Zy6hPLQAkBPwOYyRUpcdJ6yHVNmQBwn1B-XJ7mlpXtWqGCxpe-DVjrt9h3gs61-hXb7N0QWmaurCkPAiuzPjl-idUygY8kugnzFRONuUg3e8ZqpdoX7ouHXLNyITtGBkVnBQnHWRtVuMOFYnke7q6d5ZJaILz9Okc0Fkghgj0pXlT6EmdOpz3u_f0pByPNbmaGBiZjjIZ3SkERpp3tMW7UvbGrgPONpy-1XNTHRf2utsc_4fqctc_A4MfZ6BK-TTbIjVkg7amRl57Z2GJX-ewSNkQUO4KOnmwikEO6fh1dpHD6Lg4lEW2Ls=w455-h607-s-no-gm?authuser=0

You need a three wheeler with an indepent and frontwheel. get a mini one for when you go shopping etc.  While pregnant with kid#2 i saw someone with one of these (at a bike race nogal) and it lit a lightbulb in my head.

took this actual picture

image.png.8e16934c3479f1c4722763efd1f34c63.png

https://eu.philandteds.com/products/sport-buggy

not available locally so put an alert on gumtree and one popped up. I snapped it that day, cost about R2k.

works with tiny kid in carseat like this

AP1GczOnRLQYfJBgO7I9FhxPkW-m5ni0JCCYYtyrF_XvW0NqBlrOsLxoEE9vLkVSiMHDNU7fJGf2oW0QKK8_ukp5raGSh5utvQjbANmWBRfRU96runKJeKQ4lPzZs_G01j5sLTLWsAu3FKiJg9eoVi67oZe26nMwfKIU4RObKsX-EvXHjZjpgzvJjv40SSeq65yte7uCO96eR5Oxk49aOuU4ysmwJg5Vhe-lDWWgaY_R_7htud9P8fp3OD8Fv8Mz4wSZeLL-Oh2a9HLKp4V46jrobFd4_2Su8b8VwJB2QeRPsrmia_MQKGSNoSCvHF_gjCxsW0pkigoBm8Xvz35pnJ7FfsNIYRqIxay7sTk0rUlotymEk73twenZMq9VX16ikRRiPkkWO3QqY1kQjVWFH0EHCkhn4wftkp7Ax_Y4fXq3e0RqjlsHygj6R_XDO9V8jSD6PlVO7OeFmeN9ju452uSQ03hUZY5r5eWuUGMEra8niUaaEY_GmdLsaRkIAl6baeNQyOG5AUhkP2WY4ei5W5S2bbng8J3Bk194iE-RWYN8zlaFaz19DeQAZ52loFQNTqeq3R874TSkWph6Bqh6mQA0lX46gnXz3wpL6p-0-vqCDb1md-xTCpODXxY694UhoRZtEcLpzSwc0p4FkTixTTZedeExAm12AZduxbctL5cfBFUMRyHcivAH6JvNzfy70AIk6yH7ryyXZojbwIxWt4qde2TWy-nm0il17QZi3p9qZJL5vn4_U_OD68JwMhBVfZ2AxR8KmQ3VbPoLfOPL-97jWP_wO_CQSZIe0rGeb6sWRtHOSHxUw9yGn8ItYRHXp0smoDZnxs4y9ejhnK0eLjIRo8UvCRFGqpkbaGPqDUfj-FQFQcZ1V1ls5dj6gXSEbxMqUdoZLJKIUq14GF8_WVI3Wv8Gph8=w1080-h607-s-no-gm?authuser=0

I did a lot miles with it, nothing better than babysitting and training at the same time. Most of it was muizenberg to kalk bay and back. You can take the back one off so go with one or two kids.

image.png.c331d9e349f6b270a6e1e302cb40e718.png

image.png.15ee0930f3e8f36bafec3f4090a370ef.png

A few years later sold it for pretty much what I paid.

Would totally do it again.

echo the comments above, go prepared and have extra clothing, snacks, water cash on you.

sometimes we just went exploring and gave mom some time alone. This was a bit extreme but shows you what is possible!

image.png.144832d44d82f0353db5371863f28027.png

Edited by Shebeen

7 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

I did countless runs with our Running Pram, especially to give myself some fresh air and give the wife some time off.

Two kids works fine, but they obviously tend to get into disagreements w.r.t. space. A single kid is very happy with the ample space.

I enjoyed running with it and once you are used to the handling you can really motor on flat and undulating terrain. Even clocked a Sub-5min/km 5k and a 5:25min/km 10k with a kid in the pram.

I see you are in Pretoorsdorp @Zama7, you are welcome to borrow mine with the option to buy if you'd like. I am not using it anymore

2024-05-09 11_40_01-Alwyn Viljoen _ Strava Runner Profile.png

2024-05-09 11_39_34-Alwyn Viljoen _ Strava Runner Profile.png

2024-05-09 11_38_10-Alwyn Viljoen _ Strava Runner Profile.png

@Zama7 in my experience this was a bit of a dog to run with, worked with the bike though!

but try it since the invitation is there.

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

@Zama7 in my experience this was a bit of a dog to run with, worked with the bike though!

but try it since the invitation is there.

I forgot to mention the Bike trailer-arm part, kids enjoyed it too:
(check my profile pic too)

2024-05-09 12_04_04-Alwyn Petrus Viljoen (@alwynpv) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Edited by Vetplant

20240505_073115.jpg.2dc78aa53b654be8d78a47d6d1cc189c.jpgRace / Event Report for Ultra-X Scotland:

The event has two distance options, 2 day stage event totalling 110km or the 1 day 50km. Day 1 the athletes run from Inverness to Fort Augustus (North to South) along the Western side of Loch Ness. The athletes then camp / sleep in Fort Augustus for the evening on the banks of Loch Ness in Fort Augustus. I only took part in day 2 which is 50km with >1300m vert. With my A-event for the year coming up next month, I decided the 50km would be a good training run to test gear, nutrition etc. For Day 2, we started at 08:00 where the overnight campsite was. We would  then make our way back North to Inverness and finish at Dores Beach, along the Eastern side of Loch Ness.

While putting my gear on I heard the “30 seconds” to start call from the announcer, so I skedaddled to the back of the starting grid. In an attempt to compose myself and not get flustered, I purposely crossed the start line last. But alas that’s where the game plan and maturity (boys will be boys) ended.

I started to steadily make my way through the back of the pack but with the first 2.5km @avg 8.2% gradient, my Zone2 plan went straight out the window. Luckily we were gifted with a brief downhill into CP1. Noticing the queues at the tables and me having enough of my own nutrition I decided to take the opportunity and jump a few places by pushing on. There was a haze hanging around for the whole weekend, strangely enough for the Highlands, it wasn’t the usual Haar or Driech, but rather humidity which topped out at over 90% at some areas.

Climbing out of CP1 was a 4km @avg 6% hill, which took us straight into the haze. One would be forgiven for thinking you were in the middle of a blizzard minus the snow. Visibility was more than a 5-10m. Needless to say the term “sweating balls” was an understatement. I quickly went through my tailwind hydration (Flasks in front of vest, as I carried 2 x 500ml more in the backpack) and started to stress about fluid intake but put it to the back of me mind very quickly.

Due to a bridge crossing being washed away, we had to be diverted along a 4km tarmac section, meaning CP2 which was as we got off the tarmac, couldn’t come quick enough. This was my longest time spend at a CP on the day, spending 8min. At this point I noticed my ADV Skin 12 tore on the rear flank pocket leaving me poles hanging and all my nutrition that was in that pocket having fallen out along the way. While filling the front flasks with me tailwind I noticed that the mouth piece of one of the flasks had fallen off too. Luckily I had the 2 buddy bottles, which I filled one with water as the second was still full with tailwind. After making a plan for me poles and grabbing some oranges & bananas I was off again.  

Although the terrain for the next few km’s was a slight decline @ -1%, with the culmination of humidity & stupidity, I was already feeling the effects and we weren’t even at the 20km mark yet! When we climbed to the top of Foyers falls, I expected CP3 to be there but alas only public toilets which had queues so I pushed on but it wasn’t until a few km down the track that I realized I only has ½ a flask of tailwind and zero water left. This was an interesting time for mind games to say the least. When CP3 did come, it felt like a godsend.  Refilled everything with water and grabbed whatever nutrition I could to sustain me for the second half of the event. After climbing the 1.7km @8.2% hill out of CP3 we were treated to a lovely 2.8km switchback single track descending @ -4.2%. Luckily the humidity had lifted by this time to reveal spectacular views of Loch Ness and the forests on the Western side of her. Even though living here for almost 3 years now, the views of Loch Ness never get boring.

With two climbs remaining, both being over 6km long, the back end of the day was truly vasbyt.  The worst part being the final 830m over grass fields, with the noise from the crowd and finish line awaiting one. I have never had to walk so close to the finish line before.

All in all, a lot of lessons learned, some extra food for thought for the A event in 4 weeks time, I’m happy with the Sub7 result and might incorporate this annually going forward as a training event for the rest of the seasons.

One thing that has become apparent is that I’m getting to the age where recovery takes noticeably longer than it used too.

The event organizers were great, CP staff were amazing. They has a massage table at CP3 & 4 but i never used them. Each CP weren’t overly complicated by supplying only bananas, chips, oranges, smartie eggs and water. CP4 had some new high sugar chews.

Edited by ScottCM
Added photo of Start

22 minutes ago, ScottCM said:

Race / Event Report for Ultra-X Scotland:

The event has two distance options, 2 day stage event totalling 110km or the 1 day 50km. Day 1 the athletes run from Inverness to Fort Augustus (North to South) along the Western side of Loch Ness. The athletes then camp / sleep in Fort Augustus for the evening on the banks of Loch Ness in Fort Augustus. I only took part in day 2 which is 50km with >1300m vert. With my A-event for the year coming up next month, I decided the 50km would be a good training run to test gear, nutrition etc. For Day 2, we started at 08:00 where the overnight campsite was. We would  then make our way back North to Inverness and finish at Dores Beach, along the Eastern side of Loch Ness.

While putting my gear on I heard the “30 seconds” to start call from the announcer, so I skedaddled to the back of the starting grid. In an attempt to compose myself and not get flustered, I purposely crossed the start line last. But alas that’s where the game plan and maturity (boys will be boys) ended.

I started to steadily make my way through the back of the pack but with the first 2.5km @avg 8.2% gradient, my Zone2 plan went straight out the window. Luckily we were gifted with a brief downhill into CP1. Noticing the queues at the tables and me having enough of my own nutrition I decided to take the opportunity and jump a few places by pushing on. There was a haze hanging around for the whole weekend, strangely enough for the Highlands, it wasn’t the usual Haar or Driech, but rather humidity which topped out at over 90% at some areas.

Climbing out of CP1 was a 4km @avg 6% hill, which took us straight into the haze. One would be forgiven for thinking you were in the middle of a blizzard minus the snow. Visibility was more than a 5-10m. Needless to say the term “sweating balls” was an understatement. I quickly went through my tailwind hydration (Flasks in front of vest, as I carried 2 x 500ml more in the backpack) and started to stress about fluid intake but put it to the back of me mind very quickly.

Due to a bridge crossing being washed away, we had to be diverted along a 4km tarmac section, meaning CP2 which was as we got off the tarmac, couldn’t come quick enough. This was my longest time spend at a CP on the day, spending 8min. At this point I noticed my ADV Skin 12 tore on the rear flank pocket leaving me poles hanging and all my nutrition that was in that pocket having fallen out along the way. While filling the front flasks with me tailwind I noticed that the mouth piece of one of the flasks had fallen off too. Luckily I had the 2 buddy bottles, which I filled one with water as the second was still full with tailwind. After making a plan for me poles and grabbing some oranges & bananas I was off again.  

Although the terrain for the next few km’s was a slight decline @ -1%, with the culmination of humidity & stupidity, I was already feeling the effects and we weren’t even at the 20km mark yet! When we climbed to the top of Foyers falls, I expected CP3 to be there but alas only public toilets which had queues so I pushed on but it wasn’t until a few km down the track that I realized I only has ½ a flask of tailwind and zero water left. This was an interesting time for mind games to say the least. When CP3 did come, it felt like a godsend.  Refilled everything with water and grabbed whatever nutrition I could to sustain me for the second half of the event. After climbing the 1.7km @8.2% hill out of CP3 we were treated to a lovely 2.8km switchback single track descending @ -4.2%. Luckily the humidity had lifted by this time to reveal spectacular views of Loch Ness and the forests on the Western side of her. Even though living here for almost 3 years now, the views of Loch Ness never get boring.

With two climbs remaining, both being over 6km long, the back end of the day was truly vasbyt.  The worst part being the final 830m over grass fields, with the noise from the crowd and finish line awaiting one. I have never had to walk so close to the finish line before.

All in all, a lot of lessons learned, some extra food for thought for the A event in 4 weeks time, I’m happy with the Sub7 result and might incorporate this annually going forward as a training event for the rest of the seasons.

One thing that has become apparent is that I’m getting to the age where recovery takes noticeably longer than it used too.

The event organizers were great, CP staff were amazing. They has a massage table at CP3 & 4 but i never used them. Each CP weren’t overly complicated by supplying only bananas, chips, oranges, smartie eggs and water. CP4 had some new high sugar chews.

Lekker lekker, now that is a run that seriously peaks my interest and makes me jealous.

Glad you had a solid day out.

As part of Itera Adventure race in 2019 the last leg of the race was the first day's route in reverse, Fort william to Inverness. it was spectacular, the sun rose as we dropped into drumnadrochit.
Those great ways have got to be the most under rated trails around. I still want to do a few of "bike packing" in that area. Using the great ways to cycle 40-60km a day town to down, staying at backpackers and checking each town's pub. Fort Augustus is very quaint. Very jealous of your run. 

On 5/7/2024 at 5:13 PM, Shebeen said:

I hope you're not talking about one in Riebeeck Kasteel, because if you are then you have your facts wrong. 

Nope. Trail running event in the Cederberg. 

20 hours ago, dave303e said:

Lekker lekker, now that is a run that seriously peaks my interest and makes me jealous.

Glad you had a solid day out.

As part of Itera Adventure race in 2019 the last leg of the race was the first day's route in reverse, Fort william to Inverness. it was spectacular, the sun rose as we dropped into drumnadrochit.
Those great ways have got to be the most under rated trails around. I still want to do a few of "bike packing" in that area. Using the great ways to cycle 40-60km a day town to down, staying at backpackers and checking each town's pub. Fort Augustus is very quaint. Very jealous of your run. 

What a small world, I live on (180m away to be exact) the Great Glen Way you are referring to. It's my weekend playground. I usually run between Craig Dunain (where the high mast is) and Abriachan, which has a wee wooden hut in the middle on the woods and during summer months it becomes a coffee and cake café.

dsc_0620.jpg.eeb662d609fe026934347dd3becc82d6.jpg

Screenshot2024-05-10091128.png.8de3bf1b355513e87f2c8cf2c0bf6ee4.png

My folks are planning on coming out in August for the first time and I'll be taking my dad along the GGW for some bike rides between Inverness and Fort Augustus. 

EDIT: If you ever do come this side of the world, be sure to get in touch, even if it's just for a couple of nights of free accommodation required. 

Edited by ScottCM