ScottCM

just to break away from all the qualifying and comrades talk...It is very odd to not be pounding the tar every day, and extremely difficult to be doing it intermittently without a goal to aim for...but I am persevering. What I am enjoying is exploring new areas and routes in my area. Because we are away from the city all roads lead to a run through the country.

Time for me to set myself a goal though. Marathon season starts in April....its been a while since I trained only for a marathon (read never) and not just used a marathon as a training run!

What kind of "roads" do you run on their? 

Here we are lucky and don't need to run on actual roads very often, mostly a mixture of pavements next to the road, wanderwegs (pedestrian / cycling paths tar and dirt) or very minor roads (1 vehicle width) between farms etc and jeep track.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yoh, the testosterone is flowing on this thread... Some serious kms for the top 3 places.

I guess there is nothing wrong will a little competition...it will keep us motivated.

Had a k@k training week last week. Hopefully will sort out my issues this week and my training can continue.

Who is qualifying this coming weekend? It is Ottosdal on Saturday and Johnson Crane on Sunday.

Will be suffering on the bike on Saturday morning for 84km and running the 21km the evening at Ottosdal. Actually looking forward to some cycling, even though I know it is going to be a tough last 20kms.

Doing the 42km at Johnson Crane. Will be a slow one; Just aiming for a sub 5; dont want to compromise IMSA training too much

What kind of "roads" do you run on their?

Here we are lucky and don't need to run on actual roads very often, mostly a mixture of pavements next to the road, wanderwegs (pedestrian / cycling paths tar and dirt) or very minor roads (1 vehicle width) between farms etc and jeep track.

Small rural farm roads. I come across very few cars... And when they do come by they are very accommodating

Doing the 42km at Johnson Crane. Will be a slow one; Just aiming for a sub 5; dont want to compromise IMSA training too much

Yup, going to use this one as a comrades goal pace run and see how it feels. Good luck, I hope you have a good run.

What a nice run in the rain this morning for the Gauteng runners.

Hopefully my shoes will dry out before tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When they start growing moss then you can worry!!

Quick question.

Up until recently I have only done some running here and there, deciding on the day whether or not I'm gonna go for a run (still new to running).

However, this week I started a structured training program. Mon/Wed/Fri is reserved for strength training and Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun are reserved for cardio, which mainly is running with some MTBing included. (I am not following a 10km/21km/42km 'plan)

My question is regarding the strength training. Should I be including a leg work out? (Squats, Leg press etc). Currently my strength days focus on upper body strength and core workouts.

One for the offroad triathlon/duathloners....

Asics Fujirado - running shoe with a boa system - perfect for fast changes.

I will be procuring some shortly!

post-2412-0-91608000-1516692725_thumb.jpg

I find leg strength work helps more for skyrun type stuff, and ridiculous trails, we ran one in Harties a last weekend, 1250m elevation gain in 16km, it was 5 laps so basically you climbed 250m in 1,5 km and squats and leg work helped, but for road running it is definitely worth it, but not as vital as for more tech trails etc. 

As for the Boa system laces- Just buy Salomon replacement laces and put them on your regular shoes, works a charm for quick changes, and for never having to do up laces...

As for the Boa system laces- Just buy Salomon replacement laces and put them on your regular shoes, works a charm for quick changes, and for never having to do up laces...

I have elastic laces in all my running shoes but I prefer the monosock/tongueless designed shoes - the tongue ends up all over and I don't like it - yes I am fussy!

Zoot (and now Asics) are my go to shoes for dirty du/tris.

What supplements do you take during peak marathon training and how much?

Is it o.k. to pop a 100mg voltaren pill once a week?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Whey Protein (Good Quality)

L-Glutimine Powder

Slowmag

Multivitamin

Avoid anti inflammatories as your kidneys are already under pressure and they also mess up your gut lining which is VITAL for the absorption of vitamins and minerals that are required to recover properly. Rather follow a structured training programme and do proper stretching after rigorous workouts...

Quick question.

Up until recently I have only done some running here and there, deciding on the day whether or not I'm gonna go for a run (still new to running).

However, this week I started a structured training program. Mon/Wed/Fri is reserved for strength training and Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun are reserved for cardio, which mainly is running with some MTBing included. (I am not following a 10km/21km/42km 'plan)

My question is regarding the strength training. Should I be including a leg work out? (Squats, Leg press etc). Currently my strength days focus on upper body strength and core workouts.

I wouldn't load the legs too much with strength training. Rather do strength training that focuses on the core and back which will help with maintaining a good posture (ie. hip position during running).

Good luck to all the runners doing Johnson Crane this Sunday. A big turnout is expected so leave a bit earlier from home to avoid chaos at the offramps.  

Running the full marathon this weekend, gunning for a sub 4hr!

Any feedback on these?

I ran about 100km with the Hoka's. I must say they are much more comfortable than the Asics Nimbus. They feel lighter and with way better cushioning. They also feel wider. The Asics Nimbus is generally a heavier shoe.

I enjoyed the Hoka's until I started feeling a niggle in my inner left calf. It was painful after about 5km and it happen often with the Hoka's. 

I went back to my Asics and the problem went away. I see the heel-to-toe drop on the Hoka's is 9.6mm and for the Asics Nimbus 18 it is 11.7mm. I am not sure if this caused the calf problem.

I probably should have tried it out for a bit longer but I was scared of causing a serious injury before the January season started.

I ran about 100km with the Hoka's. I must say they are much more comfortable than the Asics Nimbus. They feel lighter and with way better cushioning. They also feel wider. The Asics Nimbus is generally a heavier shoe.

I enjoyed the Hoka's until I started feeling a niggle in my inner left calf. It was painful after about 5km and it happen often with the Hoka's.

I went back to my Asics and the problem went away. I see the heel-to-toe drop on the Hoka's is 9.6mm and for the Asics Nimbus 18 it is 11.7mm. I am not sure if this caused the calf problem.

I probably should have tried it out for a bit longer but I was scared of causing a serious injury before the January season started.

The reason Im asking is because of the drop, and I have it at 5mm?