ScottCM

He was actually my bike mechanic for Cape Epic in 2014 when they were still Bike basement ..  I think you are referring to Thabo (Vusi is the bigger guy behind the counter normally - I stand to be corrected though)…

Super nice guy and very talented runner...

You are correct. It was Thabo. 

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not great timing but still 10 days so you will be ok... If you HAVE to take antibiotic ask for Zithromax… its a sports 3 days course and doesn't affect the Tendons/Muscles etc. like some antibiotics can... and its only 3 days so you still have a week spare..

Awesome thanks Ferret. If he tells me I must take antibiotics, I will ask for that...

Good luck Gringo

Did you manage a D seeding ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No unfortunately not.

Missed it by 3mins at Johnson Crane (4:03 marathon), 4mins at Irene (4:54 ultra) so was close. But happy to start in F batch for the first one, dont want to be seeded above my ability.

Awesome thanks Ferret. If he tells me I must take antibiotics, I will ask for that...

My leaky sinus has led to a throat infection and a bit of a phlegm'ish cough... Doc lined me up with anti-biotics already now in case I am not 100% by Friday. It's a one off smash session course that you just mix up and drink from what I understand. Really hoping not to have to go that route though...

I'm the limping poster child for Poor Comrades prep this year - just never been at the races really at it honestly shows. Took winging it a little too far this year.

Really looking forward to having this year out the way - time for some fresh goals

Wife's scan at least was positive, no stress fracture in her foot, but she's still fighting with the fasciitis for now - but at least she will be on the start line  :thumbup: 

Heal up Lexx, you've got a race's ass to kick.

Barry, hows the ITB going?

Hope everyone is surviving their taper  :thumbup:

Francois is in great shape this year, WS might be too fast for him though, trail is very non-technical

Its not technical and one of these years Walmsley will reach the finish line...

You do pretty much 960m of the 1200m Total by the 55km mark at the Top of Heartbreak hill in Hillcrest.

Hold your nerve and legs until there and you can run a big negative split

My Comrades is pretty much done. A severe cold laid me low for the last four days, which compounded the lack of running from the ITB. I should arrive at the start with about 20km over the final month. But, regardless, I'm going to be at the start. I have no expectation of a making the full 90km let alone going for a time but it's Comrades and it's a great run, whatever the distance so I'm going to treat it like the Wings For Life and just see how far I get when the time runs out.

My leaky sinus has led to a throat infection and a bit of a phlegm'ish cough... Doc lined me up with anti-biotics already now in case I am not 100% by Friday. It's a one off smash session course that you just mix up and drink from what I understand. Really hoping not to have to go that route though...

I'm the limping poster child for Poor Comrades prep this year - just never been at the races really at it honestly shows. Took winging it a little too far this year.

Really looking forward to having this year out the way - time for some fresh goals

Wife's scan at least was positive, no stress fracture in her foot, but she's still fighting with the fasciitis for now - but at least she will be on the start line  :thumbup: 

See the reply above. Had my first good run without ITB pain (thanks for the stretches) and then picked up a cold on Friday. Still can't get up the stairs without feeling out of breath. I'm going to treat it as a festive day, though. I've sent Camille Herron a tweet asking her if she'll sign my shirt if I catch her in the first 10km… at which point I'll need to recover on the side of the road with a few beers.

Eish, not you too, Lexx!

Wanted to share a quick story. I went to Cycle FO to pick up some additional winter gear as this winter is proving to be a lot colder than last year. When I went to pay, there was an issue with the card machine. Cycle FO's bike mechanic (Vusi iirc) was helping me pay. While we were standing around waiting for the shop manager to come back to assist with the machine, Vusi started telling me about his Comrades journey. He is about to do his third Comrades.

He ran his first Comrades in 7:15! I was floored. His aim is to get 10 consecutive Silver medals and he is a bit worried about it this year because he has picked up a little niggle in his calf. If he does not get a silver this year, he will have to start all over again. He runs from his home in Tembisa to the bike shop or sometimes his boss will drop him further away so he can run home. On weekends he will bash out a 60 or 70km run, starting at 3am. He is not sure how many KMs he does in a week, but he estimates around 150km. He said that he doesn't have any funding for "supplements" (like 32gi or High 5), and he has done some runs with nothing (which he says is very painful and difficult).

Just goes to show you can find talent, passion and inspiration anywhere.

Amazing

Wonder if he even has a decent stop watch?

Had what you are getting last Wed/Thurs.  Was at the Doc's on Friday and smashed a similar 1 off mix of antibiotics straight after my appointment.  Body ache pains subsided quickly, and managed a 15km run on the Sunday.  Still taking sinus meds to try clear the phlem (thankfully almost gone)....as only have 4 days till Durban 70.3 on Sunday

If you got to go that route, I'd say do it !!

My Comrades is pretty much done. A severe cold laid me low for the last four days, which compounded the lack of running from the ITB. I should arrive at the start with about 20km over the final month. But, regardless, I'm going to be at the start. I have no expectation of a making the full 90km let alone going for a time but it's Comrades and it's a great run, whatever the distance so I'm going to treat it like the Wings For Life and just see how far I get when the time runs out.

Thats the attitude I like to see. And what embodies the spirit and principles of comrades. You can run half and walk half and still make it comfortably. 8 minutes per k gets you a Vic....

Here's my prediction..... You end up on the day well rested... And are able to run and your are prob still on course for a comfortable sub 10.... If not a BR since you have got one before and you've put in the mileage

Get a mental placebo and get that knee strapped too

All I can say is....

If you are sick or injured, think about your health / future on this planet... there is no comrades in heaven or hell but there is next year on planet earth.

Or

Rather be a DNS than a DNF

Lecture over

All I can say is....

If you are sick or injured, think about your health / future on this planet... there is no comrades in heaven or hell but there is next year on planet earth.

Or

Rather be a DNS than a DNF

Lecture over

Solid advice, Swiss, but I definitely won't run at all if I'm carrying any sickness. We've all heard too many horror stories of heart attacks.