ScottCM

Eluid Kipchoge came in 7th or 8th... Well off the mark. He says he had a blocked ear from 25km which is going to mess with you balance. Classic symptom of not aclimatising from high altitude to low altitude

Ah thanks.

I don’t know if they’ve changed their minds but I remember some years back when I was still running that the sports science medical experts said that the human body really only has a handful of world class marathon performances in it, so he’s already on borrowed efforts.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah thanks.

I don’t know if they’ve changed their minds but I remember some years back when I was still running that the sports science medical experts said that the human body really only has a handful of world class marathon performances in it, so he’s already on borrowed efforts.

Yup... Everyone has a limit at the top.. But I think Eluid still has a few more

Yup... Everyone has a limit at the top.. But I think Eluid still has a few more

If anyone actually knows how old he is

So a bit of drama in the London marathon

And great 7th place for gerda steyn and an Olympic qualifying time

Incredible run by Gerda! She just gets better and better. 2:26:51. Only 15sec of Colleen De Reucks 1996 record. (Elana Meyer has a 2:25:15 on a "aided road course")

If she does a flat marathon with crowds she'll definitely get the record.

Pity about Elroy Gelant who pulled out around 25ks

ASA having their say again in the form of Aleck Skhosana. Comrades 2021 likely to take place in its original June slot again. "We have a set athletics calendar that has worked best over the years".

Let's wait and see.

ASA having their say again in the form of Aleck Skhosana. Comrades 2021 likely to take place in its original June slot again. "We have a set athletics calendar that has worked best over the years".

Let's wait and see.

The thing is though the year is basically already over and are we any closer to seeing reasonable sized qualifiers yet? I can't remember when they usually start but the Covid hit to mass participation sports seems to be taking a lot longer to recover

Let's wait and see.

The thing is though the year is basically already over and are we any closer to seeing reasonable sized qualifiers yet? I can't remember when they usually start but the Covid hit to mass participation sports seems to be taking a lot longer to recover

Aleck Skhosana is a joke. Actually the whole ASA is. Will be interesting to see how are they going to have qualifiers without any water-tables. And roadies don't like to run with backpacks..

Good day fellow Hubbers, runners, and looney tunes, 

Injury - Potential Meniscus tear 

So i started generic foundation training for triathlons earlier in the year, got through 5-6 weeks, before i had a tumble on my MTB, and was out for around 4-5 weeks. Mainly due to ribs and ankle, nothing serious. 

I started up again, but from the start again, a few weeks back. 

The Monday did a light 20 min WOG, Tuesday did a 5km TT to see where i was at fitness wise. 

Since then been struggling with left knee injury that isn’t healing, after some investigation discovered my cleat position was wrong, and my shoes i had chosen were also wrong, this we discovered when i went to the sports medical center at Loftus for analysis. 

Although i had neutral shoes the inner heel did not offer enough support and was collapsing under my weight. 

I was “prescribed” different neutral shoes and they feel more comfortable and stable. 

The pain is exactly where a medial meniscus tear would be, and sometimes down the rear tendons behind the knee, but this tightness comes and goes on the rear of the knee.

When i am cycling on the trainer - No pain

Swimming sessions - No pain 

Running - almost impossible, i run with a limp on the left, and the pain is immediately there, so i stop immediately. 

Walking also causes some discomfort as does walking up and down stairs, it comes and goes though. If i lie on my back and bend my leg into my chest, i can feel pain i that region. 

I really want to get back to running, anyone who has had similar (assuming my diagnosis is somewhat accurate) 

How long did this take to come right ? Is it simply just rest till i am pain free again?

Aleck Skhosana is a joke. Actually the whole ASA is. Will be interesting to see how are they going to have qualifiers without any water-tables. And roadies don't like to run with backpacks..

Roadies will have to adapt.

With plastic sachets already being 'frowned upon' and the introduction of 'Rona and the sanitize and touch issue, carrying your own water or reintroducing seconds is about the only way around this.

I'm happy with either. The litter post road event is disgusting and carrying some water isn't going to kill anyone.

If it means less participants so be it. If people and events aren't ready to adapt when necessary then they must die out like the dinosaurs they are.

Running belts and packs are super comfy, and if it is just for a marathon it is not a huge amount of fluid to carry anyway. 1,5l should do it fine, most runners carry more excess than that anyway.

Roadies will have to adapt.

With plastic sachets already being 'frowned upon' and the introduction of 'Rona and the sanitize and touch issue, carrying your own water or reintroducing seconds is about the only way around this.

I'm happy with either. The litter post road event is disgusting and carrying some water isn't going to kill anyone.

If it means less participants so be it. If people and events aren't ready to adapt when necessary then they must die out like the dinosaurs they are.

I'd be over the moon with no plastic sachets at races. Runners have shown that they are unable to carry an empty packet until the next aid station so I'm all for carry your own / provide bulk containers you can refill from

Running belts and packs are super comfy, and if it is just for a marathon it is not a huge amount of fluid to carry anyway. 1,5l should do it fine, most runners carry more excess than that anyway.

the way I've seen people spray themselves with sachets during a race 1.5L isn't nearly enough.

the way I've seen people spray themselves everywhere and everyone else but themselves with sachets during a race 1.5L isn't nearly enough.