ScottCM

Ehhhrrr... with the second strongly on the way, hopefully Landie is NOT doing it... 

Hahaha ja forgot about that

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The quiver is only for the slab vests. Can you maybe send a pic of the DIY version please.

1 small cable tie and the quiver works well enough on the adv skin 12. I have had one on my pack for 2 years now, works great with z-poles and is quick and easy to access.

The quiver is lekker because you can make it work with most packs if you willing to make a plan. I have strapped it to my expedition pack, hiking pack, fishing pack etc.

The quiver is only for the slab vests. Can you maybe send a pic of the DIY version please.

Just sew on a velcro loop and it becomes interchangeable with any pack.

I have a really small vest and added little plastic tabs so I can make attachments. I sewed them on with matching webbing.

But a very simple velcro loop will do it.

Just sew on a velcro loop and it becomes interchangeable with any pack.

I have a really small vest and added little plastic tabs so I can make attachments. I sewed them on with matching webbing.

But a very simple velcro loop will do it.

I haven't thought about that. Thanks Jewbacca, that's actually a pretty cool idea.

Does anyone know if anyone here is doing Karkloof 100? Kicked off this morning. Looks like it'll be a very hot day today.

Does anyone know if anyone here is doing Karkloof 100? Kicked off this morning. Looks like it'll be a very hot day today.

I will be doing the 50 miler, starting tomorrow morning. 

The runners out on course now are really battling with the heat today, however, the next 2 days will be wet and cold. 

I am not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but I have heard that more and more people take up running for crosstraining. Knee impact is the biggest reason for my lack of interest. Besides personal preference, what other advantages does running hold in your experience?

I am not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but I have heard that more and more people take up running for crosstraining. Knee impact is the biggest reason for my lack of interest. Besides personal preference, what other advantages does running hold in your experience?

I don't really have knee impact issues but I've been running for about 6 years apart from when I was at school. ... Biggest reason for me is simplicity. I'm out my door with minimal effort and in an hour I can get a solid workout come rain or shine winter or summer. Other reason is the community... Running has a great community.. Not saying cycling doesn't but I find the running community to be more social

I don't really have knee impact issues but I've been running for about 6 years apart from when I was at school. ... Biggest reason for me is simplicity. I'm out my door with minimal effort and in an hour I can get a solid workout come rain or shine winter or summer. Other reason is the community... Running has a great community.. Not saying cycling doesn't but I find the running community to be more social

Would completly agree.

Also find that a short run was equal to a long ride for me. So less time consuming.

Also bit safer as you can run on pavements.

My knees got stronger, ankles better, lost weight... I cannot think that there's much negatives. And yes, time saving was why I also started running to begin with - and it remains true.

As you grow in running you'll find this even more. We ran trails a while ago with an Ironman athlete. As we returned he - who is a flippin good MTB rider as well - categorically stated that to get the equivalent of this run on a ride, you'd have to ride 6-8h. We ran for about 3h or 3:30.

I am quite possibly the k@kkest runner on planet earth so take this from whence it comes.

My fiance and I started doing park runs in January as a bit of a laugh. Initially we REALLY struggled with leg, ankle, hip, knee etc pain. Coming from just riding a bike was a very painful experience. If you are looking at taking up running I'd take it super chilled getting into it. Your lungs, heart and legs are fine but that's not the full picture.

On the bike (especially a road bike) the structure is holding you in place so you lose a lot of muscle function from those stabilization muscles around your joints. And those are the boys that hurt like a motherfer.

Gradually that changes. I'm still super kuk and slow but I really enjoy it and we're running about 20km a week now. It's a great workout and you can obliterate yourself in an hour quite easily.

*Edit. My one colleague started running during lockdown from doing absolutely nothing. First run was around 10.00 per km. He's now running 5km 4 times a week at around 5.30 per km.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Ya I ran KK100 on the weekend, went there to just test legs and try a few things out. 

It went well, started in the Sat bunch, ran 3 loops (120km) on Sat, just missing cut off to start the 120-140km half lap which was a blessing in disguise, 4 hours sleep and a warm shower before a chilled full loop Sunday morning.

Total running time 23h30min(well somewhere around that, no official results yet, but was just a good chilled run, didn't over cook it or run into issues, ran within myself all the way. Last km was the fastest km of the race for me under 5min/km so there was definitely plenty still left in the legs. No niggles and am walking fine now, will do a recovery run later today and see how that feels.

We definitely got a little more than we payed for- gps consistently measured 41,5km per loop so it was more like 103miles, but call it value for money...

Super impressed with the organisation given circumstances, Andrew, Jack, Lauren and all the KZN trails team did an excellent job, really we are all thankful.

The venue was actually really epic and just made it so much better for crew and pre and post race. The Karkloof Country club is a real gem, hopefully next year they can start and finish there with 2 x 50mile loops or 4 different 25mile loops or something like that, it was really enjoyable.

The route itself was interesting, easy but tough, you could easily blow out your legs running too hard, it was definitely not as easy as expected but certainly very runnable.

running sucks ! 

but after years of cycling i started running to cross train , then one thing  after another things  like triathlons happened , trail running happened , street running happened , awesome people happened 

now i run more than i cycle.

running still sucks but i cant wait to go do runs , i don't understand the sport 

Ya I ran KK100 on the weekend, went there to just test legs and try a few things out. 

It went well, started in the Sat bunch, ran 3 loops (120km) on Sat, just missing cut off to start the 120-140km half lap which was a blessing in disguise, 4 hours sleep and a warm shower before a chilled full loop Sunday morning.

Total running time 23h30min(well somewhere around that, no official results yet, but was just a good chilled run, didn't over cook it or run into issues, ran within myself all the way. Last km was the fastest km of the race for me under 5min/km so there was definitely plenty still left in the legs. No niggles and am walking fine now, will do a recovery run later today and see how that feels.

We definitely got a little more than we payed for- gps consistently measured 41,5km per loop so it was more like 103miles, but call it value for money...

Super impressed with the organisation given circumstances, Andrew, Jack, Lauren and all the KZN trails team did an excellent job, really we are all thankful.

The venue was actually really epic and just made it so much better for crew and pre and post race. The Karkloof Country club is a real gem, hopefully next year they can start and finish there with 2 x 50mile loops or 4 different 25mile loops or something like that, it was really enjoyable.

The route itself was interesting, easy but tough, you could easily blow out your legs running too hard, it was definitely not as easy as expected but certainly very runnable.

Very well done!

I was going to ask what thoughts on the venue were. From a supporters point of view do you feel the original start/finish venue at Yard 41 created a better atmosphere or is Karkloof club just better?