ScottCM

Anyone familiar with running power? I've been interested in it for quite some time, but the only few ways to get access to numbers are to purchase some hardware like Stryd, the Garmin Running pod that clips to your shorts, or the Garmin HRM-TRI strap. 

I see Wahoo has brought out the next generation of their TICKR and TICKR X models, and from their blurb the TICKR X can now do the whole ground contact etc etc tracking. Will it give me my running power?

If you're in the market for a new Smart Watch you could also check out the COROS Pace 2. Running watch with power (which seems very close to Stryd) with no need for additional pods etc.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/09/coros-pace-2-in-depth-review-multisport-running-power.html

its an interesting option if running power is what you are looking for

Edited by travisza

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So call the metric what you want, for ease of communication we are saying power, does it allow athletes to better understand their pacing, there efficiency, there form? Anecdotal evidence from the athletes I have personally worked with it yes, because it is accurate, consistent and repeatable.

Yip - the scientist in me is a bit pedantic :)  We can't just interchange scientific terms because it is convenient or good for marketing.

I am not disputing the benefits and the fact that it is consistent, usable etc etc, but - as you also pointed out quoting the latest study -  it is not power.  (I think Stryd should rather call it something else, as it is a  misnomer.  VOwer might be a good one ;) 

Anyone here taking on SkyRun this year?

We always have it on the radar. It's just a bit out the way though. We'll have to see closer to the time if everything aligns.

Ok if you want to be pedantic call it an accurate measurement of Vo2.  It still gives the best measurement of effort over real time  compared to HR / Pace.  

By the way the the the the quote you used was made by Alex Hutchinson in 2018,  As the link you kindly supplied showed he did a further article in 2020 which concluded.

"But for now, if you’re in the market for a running power device—and if what you really mean by that is a consistently repeatable estimate of oxygen consumption—this data suggests that Stryd is your best bet."

This was based on his reading off a study published in the European Journal of Sport Science which concluded that Stryd was 

" the most repeatable technology for all environment, with the best concurrent validity to Vo2.  STRYD is the most recommended tool.  We encourage practitioners to use this device."

So call the metric what you want, for ease of communication we are saying power, does it allow athletes to better understand their pacing, there efficiency, there form? Anecdotal evidence from the athletes I have personally worked with it yes, because it is accurate, consistent and repeatable.

https://support.stryd.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022428434-Can-I-see-power-data-in-Strava-#:~:text=Strava%20can%20show%20running%20power,through%20the%20Stryd%20platform%20first).

This is interesting.

What I find completely confusing is the fact that intervals.icu gets the data directly from Strava, and David is able to show the Running Power from that data.

So Strava sits with the data, but chooses not to show it, for some odd reason.

What I find completely confusing is the fact that intervals.icu gets the data directly from Strava, and David is able to show the Running Power from that data.

So Strava sits with the data, but chooses not to show it, for some odd reason.

Strava sits with access to a lot of data they don't display, steps/day, sleep tracking, menstrual cycles etc etc etc

Wait for VIP premium plus pricing....

Hi guys, does anyone have an old running watch they are not using/ want to sell? (Preferably a watch that will last around 9 hours)

One of our less fortunate runners in our running club doesn't have a running watch. I would love to help him out (he ran a 7:35 Comrades last year) 

Please send me a DM. 

Hi guys, does anyone have an old running watch they are not using/ want to sell? (Preferably a watch that will last around 9 hours)

One of our less fortunate runners in our running club doesn't have a running watch. I would love to help him out (he ran a 7:35 Comrades last year) 

Please send me a DM. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/152006-the-salvage-thread/?p=3713979

Perhaps contact this guy?

Hope someone can help me. I have a Salomon Adv Skin 3 12l vest and i recently bought the Sense Ultra Foldable poles. My vest does have the 4D Poles attachement, but when the poles is folded up, it's way to short to fit into both the top 4D attachement and bottom pole holder. And its a schlep to fasten it to the attachments on my vest while out running. 

Does anyone have a DIY plan that works way better?. Because i cant seem to find anything on the net.Was thinking of maybe using Quick Laces and attaching it to the bottom of the vest? 

Otherwise i'll have to buy the Pulse waistband from Salomon.

Edited by Lexx

Hope someone can help me. I have a Salomon Adv Skin 3 12l vest and i recently bought the Sense Ultra Foldable poles. My vest does have the 4D Poles attachement, but when the poles is folded up, it's way to short to fit into both the top 4D attachement and bottom pole holder. And its a schlep to fasten it to the attachments on my vest while out running.

Does anyone have a DIY plan that works way better?. Because i cant seem to find anything on the net.Was thinking of maybe using Quick Laces and attaching it to the bottom of the vest?

Is this the newest vest? I have the older version and if I remember correctly can tuck one side of the poles in that kangaroo pouch at the back, and the other side reaches the top attachment.

Is there not space to put them at the back, horizontally, underneath? The idea freaks me out personally but each to their own.

Regardless, I think chords or some sort of elastic around the pack is a great idea. If not for poles its a easy way to store big, or wet things easily on the outside.

Christiaan (and hopefully Landie) Greyling is en route to try out the 88km Heaven and Hell marathon. 7500m ascent, 25 hours.

It's probably impossible. But would be super cool to try..

Salomon do sell the pole holster. It attaches to the vest and is super easy to use.

I made a DIY version and it works like a charm. Over the shoulder holster. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/aPeZ32HdwpNSFz8X8

Is this the newest vest? I have the older version and if I remember correctly can tuck one side of the poles in that kangaroo pouch at the back, and the other side reaches the top attachment.

Is there not space to put them at the back, horizontally, underneath? The idea freaks me out personally but each to their own.

Regardless, I think chords or some sort of elastic around the pack is a great idea. If not for poles its a easy way to store big, or wet things easily on the outside.

I can tuck it into the pouch, but i'm afraid it will maybe tear the pouch

Christiaan (and hopefully Landie) Greyling is en route to try out the 88km Heaven and Hell marathon. 7500m ascent, 25 hours.

It's probably impossible. But would be super cool to try..

Ehhhrrr... with the second strongly on the way, hopefully Landie is NOT doing it...