ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you start down the road of gu's, go have a full blood test done just to check.

I use do running and cycling on gu's,.... because it was the thing to do and replace glycogen stores etc..... generally felt ok doing so

Anyway I happened to have a blood test done for something else where it came back that in fact my body could not process the sugar from the gels, my body had excess sugar and gels/carb drinks etc were just spiking me to the point I was becoming pre-diabetic.

I now run half and full marathons on water alone and may supplement with a protein bar as my body needs protein rather than sugar.

Ironman this year, I did on solid food and water.  Only on the bike leg did I have a car/protein mix drink.  The run leg was just water and a few peanuts.

EDIT: Durbs 70.3 on Sunday am looking forward to enjoying a chilled day out :)

Sorry to rehash this old post (but I'm busy reading and catching up now..)

What exact test is this, or which reading do you look at to find this out. Short of going back to a doctor and shelling out some silly consult fee, I'm hoping i can find this reading on an old blood test and do some research myself.

I have been experimenting with and trying to get used to gels because its seems so easy and convenient but at ironman and comrades I was properly sick (on the run legs and after about 4 of these guys) and can't work out other than the gels what it could be. 

So a test would really help

What exact test is this, or which reading do you look at to find this out. Short of going back to a doctor and shelling out some silly consult fee, I'm hoping i can find this reading on an old blood test and do some research myself.

I have been experimenting with and trying to get used to gels because its seems so easy and convenient but at ironman and comrades I was properly sick (on the run legs and after about 4 of these guys) and can't work out other than the gels what it could be. 

I also struggled with gels, some left me curled up on the bathroom floor from cramps.

Best I found that works for me are the High5 ones or the powerbar hydrogel.

Normally with a gel, if you are not hydrated enough and you drink one it can pull water from other sources in your body to try and dilute the gel a bit, this causes cramps etc.

Or you are taking in too much carbs which can lead to an upset stomach.

Or you are not used to the amount of gels which can also lead to an upset stomach.

in the last S2S podcast they started speaking about training your gut to handle this, and the optimal amount of carbs per hour.

I set up my zones.. I'm guessing that will impact on calories burned

What calculator/formulas did you use?  I see there is thousands out there

Dumb question, but I think I am over looking something.

My wife switched over from her Garmin FR15 to her new FR230.  Where our calories burned was always close to each other, she now is burning less than 2/3's of mine on the same run.  I checked that her personal info is correct, what else is there that determines this and makes such a difference now on the new watch?

Can it perhaps be the Max HR?   But as far as I know this is also generated by the garmin itself?

From what I remember they use prediction models developed by FirstBeat.  Their prediction is based on current HR, max HR (predicted or measured by the unit itself), predicted VO2, and heart rate variability.

As far as I can see, the accuracy increases over time, as the unit gets better data from various types of workouts/HRs/distances.

FirstBeat claims accuracy of 5-7% once the unit has sufficient 'base' data.

You can find more info on the FirstBeat website (search for the specific unit).

https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-products/features/

What calculator/formulas did you use? I see there is thousands out there

Can't remember.. But I used my resting HR and my max and it worked out the rest

Only thing I can think of are tests linked to you ability to handle glucose.  These (in order of best to worst as predictors) would probably be HBA1C, Glucose Tolerance Tests (GTT), Fasting Blood Glucose, or Insulin levels.

You would know if you had a GTT done, as you drink a sugary drink, wait, and look at the blood sugar responses.

I think for a lot op people it not related to this, but rather to the GIT and your personal ability to absorb the specific gel (coupled with dehydration, heat, etc.)

I can get some gels in, others just make me want to vomit

Dumb question, but I think I am over looking something.

My wife switched over from her Garmin FR15 to her new FR230. Where our calories burned was always close to each other, she now is burning less than 2/3's of mine on the same run. I checked that her personal info is correct, what else is there that determines this and makes such a difference now on the new watch?

Can it perhaps be the Max HR? But as far as I know this is also generated by the garmin itself?

She is obviously getting fitter than you.

Try stretch after every run... it's a pain in the bum, but it's a very necessary evil.

This!!!

Couldn't agree more. I do it, even after a marathon, or 50km or just a 8 km training run, sometimes you are dead tired but it helps with recovery and to stay injury free.

I believe that if you can run a 'comfortable' marathon before the end of the year, you should be on track for Comrades the following year. Thats the way I've always done it - easy marathon to get the qualifier out of the way, and then a fast marathon in April/May to get proper seeding.

To answer Crapet, I think tou should work your training towards a specific marathon end of the year/Early January. If you can make that, Comrades may be possible

I disagree on running a fast marathon so late (April and especially May)- it's too close to Comrades and may not be enough recovery time. "Fast" being relative to each individual, it does take a lot out of you even though it might not feel like it as you will be strong at that stage of your Comrades training.

Personally I don't see much point in breaking oneself just to improve seeding by a batch.

I disagree on running a fast marathon so late (April and especially May)- it's too close to Comrades and may not be enough recovery time. "Fast" being relative to each individual, it does take a lot out of you even though it might not feel like it as you will be strong at that stage of your Comrades training.

Personally I don't see much point in breaking oneself just to improve seeding by a batch.

I guess Pulse meant the beginning of April... You do not try and improve your seeding at Wally. 

For a first Comrades especially, seeding means absolutely bugger all... unless you have lofty objectives, then starting at the back is just fine. In fact I would suggest it, almost as and insurance policy to force you to run sensibly early on and ease into things

For a first Comrades especially, seeding means absolutely bugger all... unless you have lofty objectives, then starting at the back is just fine. In fact I would suggest it, almost as and insurance policy to force you to run sensibly early on and ease into things

Yup. I started my first in D with some mates and it helped me actually take it easy for the first half and run my only negative split

How much water do you drink with each gel and in between gels?

When you get sick, what comes up.... water or gel?

Try eating regular small amounts of solid food.... any reasonable food that you can stomach during endurance events.