ScottCM

Yeah so I *was* training for the Addo 100 Miler that is 36 days away.

2 weekends ago we're camping at Tsitsikamma - I decide to go try see how fast I can get to the Waterfall and back, so I nail it. The Otter is a coastal trail so very rocky. About half a kilo before the waterfall, I violently roll my LEFT ankle on slanted rocks, and I mean badly. I sit there for a few minutes, pain, but manage to get up and "walk it off". Turn around back to camp, or soldier on? I didn't turn around.

Got to waterfall, took a quick photo, and started the run back. Was actually able to run ok, hopping from rock to rock where needed but just a bit more cautious this time because the ankle wasn't feeling lekker. When the route became more open near the end I could nail it, even managed to get a time of 57 minutes I think, Strava Top 10, chuffed. If not for the ankle it might have been 5 minutes or so faster.

Walk back to camp, ankle a bit sore, but all good. Swam a few times during the day and the cold temps helped the ankle. That afternoon my 3 year old daughter INSISTS on "trappies klim", she wants to go walk the 1mb Loerie trail, so off I have to go. Walking semi ok. I even carry her down the steep and high stairs on the other side, so its my body weight plus her 25kg. As we exit onto the tar road, the coldness of the swimming has worn off and the ankle is hurting. Walking back to camp with her and my dad, each step gets more and more painful. I eventually can't put any weight on the ankle. My dad and my daughter go up ahead to fetch the car to come pick me up.

Get back to camp, PAIN.

Wife loads me into the car, and we drive through to MediClinic Plett. Long story short, I walk out of there with a leg in a plastercast, on crutches. Doctor can't really dx anything, so just wraps it up till we're back in PE.

Few days later we're back in PE, and I'm sitting in the ortho's office. Longer story short, xrays looked like possible ligament OFF plus ankle fracture. "Better" doctor looks at images, no fracture and partial tear of one ligament with another overstretched. 2 weeks moonboot non weight baring, 2 weeks without boot, light weight baring. Foot night and blue from blood pooling on the outside. Even got bruising halfway up my leg for some reason, think I did a number on the entire lower leg.

Today is moonboot week 1 done.

Now appreciate this. On this past Sunday, I'm crutching around the house as I have to, you put your crutches down infront of you, and you swing your legs through, "landing" on your good leg, then repeat.

There was a cushion or a heap of towels on the floor as I was trying to crutch past, so I had to narrow my crutch's position to make it past. On the "swing through" of the legs, I catch my RIGHT foot's pinky toe on the crutch, bending it 90 degrees away from the foot to the side, bang. Broken. Admittedly, I haven't had a doctor look at the toe, but I Googled plenty and it looks exactly like every other broken toe images I could find. Swollen, a bit red with lots of blue and purple. And DO NOT try to touch it.

So now I got a left leg in a moon boot, and a right foot with a 99% probability broken toe.

And Addo is 36 days away. Addo will be 2 weeks away by the time I'm supposed to be able to walk normal again.

I am not withdrawing.

Don’t try be a hero

Rather heal properly to run next year

Been there and done that, torn ankle ligaments on both ankles at different times in my younger days.

The Dr at the time said it’s better to break your ankle than do the ligaments...

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t try be a hero

Been there and done that, torn ankle ligaments on both ankles at different times in my younger days.

The Dr at the time said it’s better to break your ankle than do the ligaments...

Yeah

Bones usually heal (near) perfectly... Ligaments not so much

Reading TheJ's posts just reminded me how many nice races there are. I just need to get myself back up to the ultra distances again...

I don't want to repeat my whole sad nausea story here again... But I finally figured out what is causing the mysterious nauseous feeling. Reflux... I went to the doctor yesterday and I am back on Esomeprazole (Trustan). Hopefully, it will keep it under control. If it is not better within a month I have to go for another gastroscopy.

Is anyone else suffering from reflux while running? Does Gaviscon help?

I don't want to repeat my whole sad nausea story here again... But I finally figured out what is causing the mysterious nauseous feeling. Reflux... I went to the doctor yesterday and I am back on Esomeprazole (Trustan). Hopefully, it will keep it under control. If it is not better within a month I have to go for another gastroscopy.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/bb/bb62a8df44f6045381f8b73d74516c73fe7c3445c01acec5924d94ee8aad4087.jpg

Don’t try be a hero

This is terrible advice... 

Just do it and deal with the consequences after  :)

Glad you're getting somewhere with it  :thumbup:

Is anyone else suffering from reflux while running? Does Gaviscon help?

During my ungodly early runs in December I downed some really strong black coffee just before a run, just to wake up. This caused some really mild reflux, but those small Gaviscon tablets helped.

This is terrible advice...

Just do it and deal with the consequences after :)

Ja nee

The world as u humans know it is kaput anyway, may as well suffer now while you can.

????

Edited by SwissVan

Do it!!!!!!

Nothing like adversity to make the finish more satisfying.

Dude walking with crutches is a serious workout... I'm planning on doing Addo with trekking poles so I'm literally seeing the positive in the bad situation that the crutches is making my upper body stronger which I'll need for the trekking poles. Plus my one leg is doing double duty. I wouldn't call the time "injured" completely lost.

Yeah

Bones usually heal (near) perfectly... Ligaments not so much

I rolled my right ankle 4 years ago while watching the TdF in France, same situation. Blue foot. Healed fine. No roll is similar to another one I know.

I have an almost similar situation, but... reverse. Having had my gall bladder removed many years ago, I started feeling nauseous at the most weird times, costing me several withdrawals in some key rides. Then it started becoming an everyday feeling. Went through the whole shebang of tests to hear that nothing is wrong - fortunately. And then the fact of the gall bladder came up, the doc started laughing and said well that's a simple fix. So now I'm on a daily med and have had no ill effects since - for the last year+ already. That includes W2W, severeal marathons, Oceans, absolutely no nausea issues.

So I know exactly how you feel, esp whilst not knowing what is causing this.

And carrying something like Rennies or Tums or such is never a bad idea - helps with cramps as well... Not sure about Gaviscon - but it works the bomb for a slight nauseous feeling! 

I suffer severely from reflux as a result of the chemotherapy I had. Not just during runs, but everyday as well.

My first thing I would look at is your diet. Avoid coffee, smoking, alcohol and chilli/spicy foods completely. This does about 60% of the job. the other 40% is Topzole (but im sure trustan is just as good, I'm not a pharmacist).

I suffer severely from reflux as a result of the chemotherapy I had. Not just during runs, but everyday as well.

My first thing I would look at is your diet. Avoid coffee, smoking, alcohol and chilli/spicy foods completely. This does about 60% of the job. the other 40% is Topzole (but im sure trustan is just as good, I'm not a pharmacist).

Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about the chemo. 

I have cut down alcohol and caffeine already and I have a healthy diet. I drink 1 maybe 2 cups of coffee a day and there is no starch in my diet. 

I think my problem is eating late and then going to bed. Found lots of articles on the internet that you need to eat at least 2 hours before lying down, also to eat two hours before a run, especially if you struggle with reflux. 

This makes my daily training schedule very tricky and something I need to work on. 

I run most nights at 7 pm (due to work and commuting) and then I only eat at 9 - 9:30 pm. Since Monday I have been eating my bigger meal of the day at lunchtime and then something smaller around 6 pm. 

The changes to my eating schedule and taking the medication has already made a difference. I still have the random nauseous feeling but something I will just have to deal with as I have to qualify for OMTOM on the 3rd of Feb...