ScottCM

I need your guys' help. Did a duathlon today and quite liked it. A lot.

BUT.....The 2km running stretch that I had to do had me begging for mercy... Luckily I had a partner that ran the other 6km(I know I know, that's very little ito running)

Anyway... The next event is 16 June. I suspect the entire run will be about 10km's combined.

How do I go about getting running fit?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT.....The 2km running stretch that I had to do had me begging for mercy... Luckily I had a partner that ran the other 6km(I know I know, that's very little ito running)

Anyway... The next event is 16 June. I suspect the entire run will be about 10km's combined.

Ask Frosty for his 10k training program that he successfully followed.

Nothing to be ashamed of.  When I started off I almost died daily doing the "pettiest" distances!

Go read the Caroline Wostmann story, she could barely jog around the block when she started and from that to winning Comrades a few years later.  7 IIRC.

It's tough, but grind it out, it does become better and then it is very rewarding!

If you’ve done some running (up to 5km) then the last 4 weeks of the plan I followed can be used. If not, and like me, if you’re starting from a zero base I would recommend starting from scratch - the build up is slow but definitely beneficial in the long run.

The plan is on page 473 (I think)... https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/153222-cyclists-with-a-running-problem/page-473?do=findComment&comment=3285837

As a beginner, I can highly recommend it, as I’m comfortable with 10km and can easily complete 15km without having ever run 15km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can, start going to Parkrun on Saturdays

What are the remedies for stomach issues on a run? The majority of my runs including marathons and an ultra in April are no problem with no toilet/bush stop required, but there is the odd run where the stomach is not too happy. The happiness is generally restored though after darting off into the bushes or heading to the closest loo but it's a frustrating situation, and such a waste of time.

I'm trying to pinpoint the cause by not eating before a run, or trying plain foods, or trying oats soaked in milk and yoghurt overnight, etc etc but I haven't narrowed it down. At one stage I thought it was from drinking 32Gi but it can't be as I only have this on long runs. Seems like every now and then the movement of running just gets the guts working?

Anyone else experienced this and have a remedy?

Slowly slowly little by little

It takes your body at least 6 months to adapt to running.

Get the correct shoes and then increase running time / distance very gradually in the first 6 months. Frosty’s guide seems to have worked very well for him.

What are the remedies for stomach issues on a run? The majority of my runs including marathons and an ultra in April are no problem with no toilet/bush stop required, but there is the odd run where the stomach is not too happy. The happiness is generally restored though after darting off into the bushes or heading to the closest loo but it's a frustrating situation, and such a waste of time.

I'm trying to pinpoint the cause by not eating before a run, or trying plain foods, or trying oats soaked in milk and yoghurt overnight, etc etc but I haven't narrowed it down. At one stage I thought it was from drinking 32Gi but it can't be as I only have this on long runs. Seems like every now and then the movement of running just gets the guts working?

Anyone else experienced this and have a remedy?

Do you know what you ate and how much on the occasions when your stomach let you down?

If not maybe start making notes of what you eat and drink and then see if something appears to be the culprit. 

Also... try stick to foods that you are used to eating, don't change your diet a few days before an event, i.e. carbo load and start eating ridiculous amounts of pasta etc... 

Eish... Sitting in the office this morning with post race blues after Giant's Cup Trail the past weekend. Absolutely stunning event in one of the most beautiful parts of South Africa. The best part? Day 1 after 27km (with 7km to go; and with my legs in serious pain and cramping) and being offered an ice cold Striped Horse Pilsner. Best beer I had in a very long time. After that my legs felt great!

It takes your body at least 6 months to adapt to running.

If you never ran before its closer to a year. From personal experience I can't emphasize enough how important it is to start gradually and do strengthening exercises.

Eish... Sitting in the office this morning with post race blues after Giant's Cup Trail the past weekend. Absolutely stunning event in one of the most beautiful parts of South Africa. The best part? Day 1 after 27km (with 7km to go; and with my legs in serious pain and cramping) and being offered an ice cold Striped Horse Pilsner. Best beer I had in a very long time. After that my legs felt great!

Ugh, serious FOMO

Final Little Leg loosener Yesterday@ RAC10km for Stu and Myself,

20 Days...

Good warm weather by the look of things...