ScottCM

It happens at every hot race and 90% of them get it right. Om die Dam as an example has been extremely hot most years - there was nothing new there. It was hotter two years ago FYI

Bottom line, you always cater for extra... 5 water points is not a mistake, it's piss poor planning and they should have been prepared. They knew their entry numbers, they know the conditions, they have taken peoples money and should be adequately prepared.

You should come run here in the civilised world....

No sachets, paper cups.... it impossible to run with more than 1 at a time

And half of that goes up your nose when trying to drink

????

Many a time I’ve threatened to start importing water sachets....

Edited by SwissVan

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens at every hot race and 90% of them get it right. Om die Dam as an example has been extremely hot most years - there was nothing new there. It was hotter two years ago FYI

Bottom line, you always cater for extra... 5 water points is not a mistake, it's piss poor planning and they should have been prepared. They knew their entry numbers, they know the conditions, they have taken peoples money and should be adequately prepared.

5 water points over 56km?

50km race... no water from 27- 42km according to my club mates.

That's not fun.

But is that due to no water points or no water because they ran out of water?

No water points is a big mistake

Running out of water, is a different story

It's the latter in they ran out of water.  When I went through earlier there was still plenty of water, energade and coke at the water points.

There are water points every 3km's in most SA races... 

They ran out of water - which people rely on rather heavily, especially when it's hotter.

You should come run here in the civilised world....

No sachets, paper cups.... it impossible to run with more than 1 at a time

And half of that goes up your nose when trying to drink

[emoji38]

Many a time I’ve threatened to start importing water sachets....

Don't get me started on those stupid cups! I close them up a as much as possible and drink and gooi... Then grab another one.

Here, we get given bottles of water.. Which is actually easier

There are water points every 3km's in most SA races... 

They ran out of water - which people rely on rather heavily, especially when it's hotter.

Every 3km's?! Why? 

Did the Semi up here in the North, where there were three stations, handing out bottles of water, with bins up to about 1km after each station. 

Every 3km's?! Why? 

Did the Semi up here in the North, where there were three stations, handing out bottles of water, with bins up to about 1km after each station. 

It's the standard here... haven't a clue why. It's not always 100% like that, but I would say the average race has water points around that gap.

Might have something to do with getting people into a hydration routine for Comrades, but I'm just guessing here...

Well we're going to have to ditch single use plastics in the near future so races are going to have to come to up with alternative solutions. A plastic bottle seems a better option as its recyclable and can fit enough water to last the runner to the next point, plus they can choose how much of it they want to drink and how much to pour on their heads.

Well we're going to have to ditch single use plastics in the near future so races are going to have to come to up with alternative solutions. A plastic bottle seems a better option as its recyclable and can fit enough water to last the runner to the next point, plus they can choose how much of it they want to drink and how much to pour on their heads.

Yip, something has to change... not sure on the cost of the seaweed sachets, they're probably expensive at the moment, but hopefully viable long term if the demand is there.

I'd also happily get in on the running hydration pack train, where you're likely only stopping once/twice in a whole marathon. Two three minutes in the grand scheme of things is not a lot. I just hate running with a pack, especially when it's hot, but it's no doubt something you get more accustomed too down the line.

Will be interesting to see which route this all heads

Doesn't the problem lie with bottels/sachets/whatever get littered instead of chucked into dustbins?

Only workable solution I can think of is "bring your own bottle/cup". If cups and bottles then get littered, its at the expense of the littering runners and not so detrimental to the image of sponsors.

I don't have a lot of running events under the belt, but have experienced the littering nonetheless.

If you look a trail runners with Camel backs they do looong runs with no water points.

On weekends when I run the Cradle loop I can easily do the 30km with only my camelback, even on hot days. I always have water left when I'm done.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Doesn't the problem lie with bottels/sachets/whatever get littered instead of chucked into dustbins?

Only workable solution I can think of is "bring your own bottle/cup". If cups and bottles then get littered, its at the expense of the littering runners and not so detrimental to the image of sponsors.

I don't have a lot of running events under the belt, but have experienced the littering nonetheless.

There is a litter issue but the bottles at least mitigate it with their size. Plus, if they're of recyclable grade plastic they offer value to pickers. Those two things combined make them easier to clean and provide an incentive to do so, from both formal and informal clean-up crews. Race organisers could get a rebate on the ratio of bottles returned, for example.

I don't think the Camelbak option is a solution as it raises the cost barrier to entry for lower-income runners and slows runners down significantly in terms of both running and refilling. It's not an issue on the trail as it's a generally slower activity anyway and they've become the expected norm due to trail logistics and culture. 

Bring your own bottle is a kind of compromise but it would likely create utter havoc at the refill points, which are already hazardous with people cutting straight across you or breaking into a walk without warning. Imagine trying to get to the water at Comrades with a few thousand runners already standing there refilling their bottles.

There is a litter issue but the bottles at least mitigate it with their size. Plus, if they're of recyclable grade plastic they offer value to pickers. Those two things combined make them easier to clean and provide an incentive to do so, from both formal and informal clean-up crews. Race organisers could get a rebate on the ratio of bottles returned, for example.

I don't think the Camelbak option is a solution as it raises the cost barrier to entry for lower-income runners and slows runners down significantly in terms of both running and refilling. It's not an issue on the trail as it's a generally slower activity anyway and they've become the expected norm due to trail logistics and culture. 

Bring your own bottle is a kind of compromise but it would likely create utter havoc at the refill points, which are already hazardous with people cutting straight across you or breaking into a walk without warning. Imagine trying to get to the water at Comrades with a few thousand runners already standing there refilling their bottles.

First bolded paragraph gave a lot of insight, thank you :)

2nd bolded part reminded me about the discussion of the faucet splitter and the cost being high as well. Bottles seem indeed like the much lesser evil of the lot!

Personally, I feel that a lot of this has to do with the attitude of runners in road running events.  I often come across people that would rather throw the empty sachet in the storm water drain or the veld, than on the road or in the provided bins.

These are often also the runners that insist on starting as far forward as possible, even if it means pushing in from the front; yet they walk wihin the first 3km, or put up a huge fight when stopped for traffic, etc.

If I use sachets, I will trown them in the bins, if I miss a bin, I will pick the sachet up.