ScottCM

:ph34r:

hahahaha it's a far cry from 180 minutes, especially in terms of training and discipline.

Going 3:40 only involves 'some' speed work and uncomfortable training. But I suppose it's all relative!

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also relevant to suggest that they don't know what to test for.

A lot of EPO dopers were caught after the fact, once they knew to test for it.

I'm almost certain guys are developing all sorts of methods that our doping agencies don't know how to detect yet.

I'm going as far as suggesting soon we will be dealing with genetically modified athletes.......

It is often not a case of not knowing what to test for, but rather not having the funding to test for a broad range of substances. They tend to test for specific metabolites, some (relevant) substances, and masking agents

It is often not a case of not knowing what to test for, but rather not having the funding to test for a broad range of substances. They tend to test for specific metabolites, some (relevant) substances, and masking agents

This is my point. While they are focused on the current batch of drugs, people are developing other methods of cheating/enhancing which aren't being tested for.

As the knowledge and (most importantly) 'accurate' and 'reliable' tests can be widened, more people will be caught and more will be caught long after their time, as in many of the 90's cyclists.

I dunno... I'm not sold on Comrades.

The carrot is there as an achievement and bucket list race due to it's history and status locally, but that said, I would rather run Puffer or a 100miler.

The views and the places you will get to/see/experience have more allure for the same amount of training.

I'm not a roadie though, so I am immediately drawn towards races that tick those boxes. 1 x qualifier and 2 Oceans are the extent of my annual road running calendar!

Go stand at the finish of Comrades and support the guys coming in between 11 and 12 hours....

You won't experience that overwhelming feeling of achievement anywhere else in the world.

I cried my eyes out this year to see the runners with so much emotion on their faces. 

That will convince absolutely anyone to enter Comrades...

Funding issues aside, I often used to say (halfheartedly tongue-in-cheek) about pro-cycling - that its not the team with necessarily the best riders that win, its the one with the best doctor. Keeping one step ahead and knowing how and when to test is unfortunately a big part of all sports.

Go stand at the finish of Comrades and support the guys coming in between 11 and 12 hours....

You won't experience that overwhelming feeling of achievement anywhere else in the world.

I cried my eyes out this year to see the runners with so much emotion on their faces. 

I dare you to manage the finish line of an Expedition Adventure race....

When a team comes in after 5 days, at like 3am. Only to be greeted by their family and one or two officials. Then you will see emotion. 

When a team comes in after 5 days, at like 3am. Only to be greeted by their family and one or two officials. Then you will see emotion.

Yup... I've been at the finish line when my brother in law finished his 100 miler.... Massive emotion from all involved at 11 pm at night with just a handful of people there to welcome him home

I've been there for that and while I appreciate the emotion, it still hasn't convinced me to enter. 

I've also been at the end of a 150 hour non stop race and seen elite athletes ball their eyes out is sheer desperation and overwhelming relief at seeing the finish line with none of the fanfare.

I grew up around running races with my mom being a catagory and overall winner of several marathons and Oceans etc and my Uncle having stood on the overall podium at Comrades a few times many many years ago. 

Maybe with my mom having moved us away from Durbs to Cape Town as a kid, I missed out on feeling affiliated to the race. Dunno.... I still want to do it but 'next year' seems to be my mantra.

I will do UTD 100 miler before I do Comrades. 

No doubt an amazing scene, but also an entirely different animal. 

#humblebrag

Like that one kid in class that always claimed to not have studied a thing, but then gets a 100% on the exam. 

hahahahaha Compared to some of the whippets on this forum that is Donkey/Slug pace!

This is my point. While they are focused on the current batch of drugs, people are developing other methods of cheating/enhancing which aren't being tested for.

As the knowledge and (most importantly) 'accurate' and 'reliable' tests can be widened, more people will be caught and more will be caught long after their time, as in many of the 90's cyclists.

Although I do agree, to an extent, that testing will always lag behind new drugs; it is often not the issue.

In ZA, there are well known drugs that SAIDS and WADA simply don’t test for, as its too expensive. At least in some local cycling circles, this is known and discussed. So if one wants to dope, do so with substances that are too expensive to run in random tests.

For athletes with a passport, its somewhat of a different story.