ScottCM

Got taking cough mixture if I recall

Kof kof....

Charl Mattheus tested positive in 1992 for phenyl-propanolomine which was removed in Jan 2004 from the list of prohibited substances.   (It is found in OTC meds eg Sinutab, Bronchifu, Colcaps etc.  Possible side effect:  Phenylpropanolamine may cause dizziness and drowsiness)

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/content/what-is-prohibited/prohibited-in-competition

phenylpropanolamine, pipradrol, and synephrine: These substances are included in the 2019 Monitoring Program, and are not considered Prohibited Substances

Edited by Pieter-za

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To change the topic slightly. Does anyone subscribe to Ben Parks YouTube channel? Dishes out some really good advice and overall nice bloke

To change the topic slightly. Does anyone subscribe to Ben Parks YouTube channel? Dishes out some really good advice and overall nice bloke

Have watched a few of his videos. He's a very good runner. Liked how he ran London Marathon doing a fair bit of filming on the way and still ran a 2h35

Have watched a few of his videos. He's a very good runner. Liked how he ran London Marathon doing a fair bit of filming on the way and still ran a 2h35

Yup.. Ran through halfway in 76!

Although I do agree, to an extent, that testing will always lag behind new drugs; it is often not the issue.

In ZA, there are well known drugs that SAIDS and WADA simply don’t test for, as its too expensive. At least in some local cycling circles, this is known and discussed. So if one wants to dope, do so with substances that are too expensive to run in random tests.

For athletes with a passport, its somewhat of a different story.

I know there are some legit runners on this chat so I don't feel completely ridiculous asking this... Does anyone know/chat to Ryan Sandes?

I see he went to California 3 or so weeks early to scout Western States. Does this mean he's really going to give this one a proper go? As far as I can remember of late he's been languishing a bit and could do with a solid race result.

SAIDS are actually pretty good there are a number of cases in the weeks pre comrades which they have caught people not big names just random podium tests at small ish races no doubt a couple will make the news in due course. The biological passport is by far the best way to catch the dopers but it's very expensive and generally only for the top performers. A university friend works for USADA and he alaways says that a red light for them is an athlete who has had a big performance but then goes on the athlete passport and then the performance over next years markedly decreases this has been happening with many Kenyan athletes a big win in a marathon then they are never seen again. The public needs confidence in results including this years Comrades I think athletes need to be honest and open about when and where they are tested which will hopefully go some way to restoring faith.

I know there are some legit runners on this chat so I don't feel completely ridiculous asking this... Does anyone know/chat to Ryan Sandes?

I see he went to California 3 or so weeks early to scout Western States. Does this mean he's really going to give this one a proper go? As far as I can remember of late he's been languishing a bit and could do with a solid race result.

As far as I know, he is giving it a proper go. Last year he crewed fellow Salomon athlete Francois D'Haene and Ryan won the year prior to that

Edited by Raab

Sees so, Preview of contenders https://www.irunfar.com/2019/06/2019-western-states-100-mens-preview.html

His insta looks like he's getting ready to give it a solid go, i hope he smashes it!

As far as I know, he is giving it a proper go. Last year he crewed fellow Salomon athlete Francois D'Haene and Ryan won the year prior to that

Hope he has a great race, but everyone unfortunately is in the hands of JW I think... pretty much hoping he strikes out. Scary to think his winning time last year was nearly 1.5 hours quicker than Ryans winning time in 2017... in elite circles that's massive. 

Will try remember to follow the coverage online if the stars align

I might think about it - came off World Duathlon champs last year with a 39min PB for the (shorter!) 10km run so thought I was the bees-knees when I lined up for my first 4km race.  Got my ass royally handed to me.  And for the next 3 or 4 races I got properly schooled.  So have a bit of unfinished business there....