ScottCM

I entered but got flu two week ago and still recovering, may well downgrade to the 21k.

I entered but got flu two week ago and still recovering, may well downgrade to the 21k.

Also doing the 21k

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to sound like a douche, but this reads like a big whinge. 

The weather can't be helped for. As for the time to start and traffic, in my experience, that's pretty common with big city marathon events. 

It took me probably 40min from heading to the start line to crossing the actual start line at the Semi in Paris. Similar story at Amsterdam. I was knocking elbows from start to finish at Paris, but still managed a PR. 

It's frustrating, I know, but in those cases you got to just put the crowd out of mind and run your race. 

Whinge??

you know what, you are right actually..

At the time I was seriously homesick after two years in Japan and the race itself/crap weather was just the final straw, I just wanted to GTFO.

But while I was there I did a few marathons in Japan and also in Hongkong, and Tokyo for me personally did not live up to the hype.

If I compare Tokyo, Fuji and Yokohama, which is three of their flagship events, it for instance does not come close to example Oceans. Right from the whole experience starting from the expo, build up and the race vibe itself, all of them was for me a bit of a disappoint to me .

Whinge??

you know what, you are right actually..

At the time I was seriously homesick after two years in Japan and the race itself/crap weather was just the final straw, I just wanted to GTFO.

But while I was there I did a few marathons in Japan and also in Hongkong, and Tokyo for me personally did not live up to the hype.

If I compare Tokyo, Fuji and Yokohama, which is three of their flagship events, it for instance does not come close to example Oceans. Right from the whole experience starting from the expo, build up and the race vibe itself, all of them was for me a bit of a disappoint to me .

I didn’t see your post as a whinge - perhaps a bad experience, but when someone else has a bad day, you have something to compare it to.

I.t.o. hype and vibe leading up to the event... would the culture have played a part of it? I’m not sure how foreigners see our premier events, i.e. Comrades, Argus, OMTOM, etc.

I’m not sure how foreigners see our premier events, i.e. Comrades, Argus, OMTOM, etc.

They all struggle with water sachets, biting and drinking them....

Imo comparing the events I’ve done in Europe ranging through triathlons, mtb, road cycling and running I find the events here very well organised, but have noticed that the participants on average tend to be „different“ as in less friendly / willing to talk during the event and also less experienced compared to in SA (running especially)

They all struggle with water sachets, biting and drinking them....

Imo comparing the events I’ve done in Europe ranging through triathlons, mtb, road cycling and running I find the events here very well organised, but have noticed that the participants on average tend to be „different“ as in less friendly / willing to talk during the event and also less experienced compared to in SA (running especially)

Perhaps the Swiss find your aura, ahem, disagreeable. 

Perhaps the Swiss find your aura, ahem, disagreeable.

LOL

Maybe they just don’t understand my favourite conversation starter?

“ Time flies when you are having fun, hey”

I didn’t see your post as a whinge - perhaps a bad experience, but when someone else has a bad day, you have something to compare it to.

I.t.o. hype and vibe leading up to the event... would the culture have played a part of it? I’m not sure how foreigners see our premier events, i.e. Comrades, Argus, OMTOM, etc.

Yes, the Japanese are very reserved and quiet, not vibey and noisy like SAFAS. in the starting shutes its really quiet, and everyone minding their own business

However, I did a trailrun in my first year in the north of Japan, that was absolutely fantastic.. below is a article I wrote on it for a blog

http://trailrunner.co.za/2017/08/jolling-in-japan-storm-troopers-and-mud-a-trail-run-in-niigata/

Edited by RABUBI

I'm surprised they chose somewhere with 2 sharp hairpin bends on either end.

I checked it on Google earth. Its not really hairpins but big round abouts, he should be able to maintain speed going around it.

post-734-0-07865200-1561645020_thumb.jpg

. Similar story at Amsterdam. I was knocking elbows from start to finish at Paris, but still managed a PR.

I found Amsterdam amazing. I did place myself in the third batch and I was right at the front... But they started the batches so we started about a minute after the leaders went off and i was up to pace as soon as I crossed the start mat

Thanks to those who commented on my query on running Karkloof 50 Miler. I think at this stage I'll not take part as it falls during an important period of training for New York. I'll likely only do New York once anyway.

I checked in and saw that tjop who wanted to run a 75 half just managed a sub 90. A good achievement no doubt.. But far from his bragging goal

Yip most good runners can get a sub 90min 21km with a bit of training. But to go sub 75min is where he is making a fool of himself.

Going from 4:17min/km down to 3:34min/km is a massive leap

He probably saw some Kenya runner averaging sub 3min/km and thought how hard can it be.

Edited by Jaws677