New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Eating out and a lot of common supermarket prepackaged non-perishables are similar.

But when it comes to fresh fruit and veg, we get hammered here in NZ. Especially in winter.

Avocados can go over $7 each.

Punnets of baby tomotoes can also reach $7-8

Over $5 for a cucumber

and the worst... $9 for a cauliflower. Hell, they don't even taste good! hahaha!

But yeah, on average when I do my annual winter Sydney visit, food prices seem about 30% cheaper.

good points BUT.......

Auckland is nicer.  :whistling:

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good points BUT.......

Auckland is nicer.  :whistling:

So you say - meanwhile I'm over here enjoying my $3 cauliflower! How do you like them apples!  :D  :D

I have a cycling friend who does avo's in NZ; his comment - "avo's have been good to us". NZ is very organised in this regard with crop identification, board type marketing, picking and tree care. I understand theft is a sporadic issue with whole orchards being targeted, avo's being stolen before they are ready for picking.

I have a cycling friend who does avo's in NZ; his comment - "avo's have been good to us". NZ is very organised in this regard with crop identification, board type marketing, picking and tree care. I understand theft is a sporadic issue with whole orchards being targeted, avo's being stolen before they are ready for picking.

Ever wondered why the nut farms in Mpumalanga have 8 foot electric fences? Same problem it seems.

Eating out and a lot of common supermarket prepackaged non-perishables are similar.

But when it comes to fresh fruit and veg, we get hammered here in NZ. Especially in winter.

Avocados can go over $7 each.

Punnets of baby tomotoes can also reach $7-8

Over $5 for a cucumber

and the worst... $9 for a cauliflower. Hell, they don't even taste good! hahaha!

But yeah, on average when I do my annual winter Sydney visit, food prices seem about 30% cheaper.

Say whaaaat???!

this is quite interesting considering how progressive NZ is -

Under New Zealand law, abortion is a crime and legal only in cases of incest, “mental subnormality” or foetal abnormality, or where the physical or mental health of the mother would be seriously impacted by having a child. Other factors that may be taken into consideration but are not grounds in themselves include “sexual violation” and “extremes of age”.

Say whaaaat???!

yup! We were talking the other day about how one's salary should almost be on a bell curve around winter because of the high food prices.

Eating what's in season becomes key... but forgive a man for wanting a tomato in July, hahaha

yup! We were talking the other day about how one's salary should almost be on a bell curve around winter because of the high food prices.

Eating what's in season becomes key... but forgive a man for wanting a tomato in July, hahaha

I guess being close to the Mediterranean has its advantages

Question for our Kiwi friends. (or anyone living abroad i suppose)

How did you go about getting a job on the other side?

Did you apply from South Africa and interview remotely? Do you work for a international co and they help you move across? Sell everything in SA and just move and hope it works out there? 

Did you apply from South Africa and interview remotely? Do you work for a international co and they help you move across? Sell everything in SA and just move and hope it works out there? 

From an Australian experience.

I was contacted via LinkedIn. It is widely used in Aus and I would imagine also in NZ. 

Tip - Update your LinkedIn and start making contact with industry peers.

The rest is difficult to answer as I then was offered a job and a contract provided a few weeks after a third and final Skype interview. Important; always dress for the occasion as they do use video calling functionality in these interviews. So don't be tempted to only put a collared shirt on as you may be asked to stand or get something which will require standing. You don't want to be caught with your pants down.

Based on friends who moved after me; it's a big help knowing people or having at least made contact with them. The short of finding a job is knowing people more often than not. I have been able to assist three friends with jobs by talking to people around and they mention they need a skill and then I put their names forward. Companies are far more interested in someone if they are recommended and can be vetted. One of those friends I put forward was hired based solely on a Skype interview as well.

Tip - make contact with old school friends and again, LinkedIn contacts dropping hints that you're looking at moving over.

Based on knowledge from conversations, the majority of people draw the proverbial line in the sand, sell up and move over. They then work on finding a job once in the country. Start off with Airbnb short term, i.e. 1 - 3 months and then once grounded, find a more permanent accommodation solution. There are jobs but it might not initially be in the same position you were in. My pet-peeve is that you don't have Australian/New Zealand experience. Once you get that foot in the door, other companies will be contacting you left, right and centre. Strange place; they won't touch you and after only 3 or so months in a job, you'll be getting almost fortnightly contacts from recruiters of employers.

I found that I had to come here to get interviews and find a job - and even then the employers was sceptical about my commitment to move.

I maybe had 2 skype interviews over a 6 month period that came to nothing. Once here it was a lot easier and had a job by the end of the first week.

Wifey lined up two interviews and flew out with her bags. She was offered both jobs. We had already gotten 95% of the way with documentation and had letters from licensed advisors telling prospective employers that all that was needed was an offer of employment

She never returned to RSA