Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

Last question, do I even need to activate Strava when I ride, or just the Garmin and let it sync afterwards?

My activities in the app is "pending" for this week (?)

Logged onto Discovery and when going to the Vitality Points Monitor I get a "Access Denied" message....

Sent them an email asking to look into it. Hope I'm not in trouble...

Anyone else get this?

My activities in the app is "pending" for this week (?)

Logged onto Discovery and when going to the Vitality Points Monitor I get a "Access Denied" message....

Sent them an email asking to look into it. Hope I'm not in trouble...

Anyone else get this?

It happens from time to time. I know the website was experiencing a few issues today. Just carry on trying. 

Can I ask you guys to help me out please.. I recently bought a Garmin Forerunner 235 in order to get the extra points for Vitality Rewards. It works perfectly, the problem I am having is getting Strava to pick up my HR on it. I have bluetooth connected but it doesn't pick it up so the ride gets recorded on Strava and Garmin but only the Garmin has my HR data so Discovery don't allocate the extra points.

What the easiest way to use these two before I ride in order to post to Discovery with all the info?

Apologies, I'm sure this has already been covered, its just too much to sift through.

As per the others the best is to just link GC to Disco.

You can lync GC to Strava so your workouts will get to Strava with all data. Incl HR.

I'm not 100% but the 235 has optical HR? If so, I would assume it doesn't transmit over BT so there will never be native Strava intergration for HR. The BT on the watch is for GC syncing.

2 x free smoothies a week. ideal for cheap dates :devil:

Not sure how long Vitality will carry on sponsoring free drinks,  but definitely going to make hay while the sun shines!

Edited by 'Kaze Pete

You can lync GC to Strava so your workouts will get to Strava with all data. Incl HR.

I'm not 100% but the 235 has optical HR? If so, I would assume it doesn't transmit over BT so there will never be native Strava intergration for HR. The BT on the watch is for GC syncing.

Does have optical HR, makes sense.

Known issue in Strava app is finding a BLE heart rate transmission, ANT+ seems to work flawlessly if phone is ANT+ or a dongle is attached. Cadence seems OK but not HR.

There are optical HR sensors that have dual transmission in ANT+ and BLE, LifeBeam does this. I have a BLE phone and Garmin on ANT+ connected simultaneously.

I have used a Wahoo TICKR with Strava no problem. It's BLE. The optical sensor in question here is built into the Garmin watch, not a standalone device.

Has anyone gotten money back on race entries yet (last year), I think this year is still too soon after the races.

I'm just concerned that with their system glitches, payments might disappear.

I have GC connected to Disc, so when I sync to Strava, it sync's to GC, and then to Disc. I then went onto the app and used the claim points for outdoor events option. My points however shows as 0 for Outdoor events with the message, "you can only claim for one activity per day", no problem with that , but will their system then still manage to identify that I completed the race and get the refund of the designated %?

Has anyone gotten money back on race entries yet (last year), I think this year is still too soon after the races.

I'm just concerned that with their system glitches, payments might disappear.

I have GC connected to Disc, so when I sync to Strava, it sync's to GC, and then to Disc. I then went onto the app and used the claim points for outdoor events option. My points however shows as 0 for Outdoor events with the message, "you can only claim for one activity per day", no problem with that , but will their system then still manage to identify that I completed the race and get the refund of the designated %?

Also tried to claim the points for outdoor sporting event for the fast one so could get money back. Said that I had already claimed and could not claim for same event.

So assume it picked up the points from GC.

I emailed Discovery to query as they state you have to claim the points and input your official time and race number and how can you do this if their system is already allocating from your points awarded.... still waiting for a reply to the email sent yesterday!

Edited by shaper

2 x free smoothies a week. ideal for cheap dates :devil:

Not sure how long Vitality will carry on sponsoring free drinks,  but definitely going to make hay while the sun shines!

If the end up forking out less payouts for surgeries etc because their members are healthier, then they will probably keep it up. 

I know a lot of people that have signed up, with very low goals, but are now MAKING time to exercise once a week, instead of twice a month. This small shift is what I think they are aiming at, getting members improving health and finding out about any issues, had someone at work found out they had a cholesterol problem after two tests and now getting it sorted. 

If the end up forking out less payouts for surgeries etc because their members are healthier, then they will probably keep it up. 

I know a lot of people that have signed up, with very low goals, but are now MAKING time to exercise once a week, instead of twice a month. This small shift is what I think they are aiming at, getting members improving health and finding out about any issues, had someone at work found out they had a cholesterol problem after two tests and now getting it sorted. 

That's exactly the plan. The system has been running in the UK through Starbucks and a couple of other providers for more than 2 years now, and they've seen a dramatic uptick in exercise and healthy eating, JUST as a result of the short term rewards that they're offering. It's saving them millions in claims, and gets people to be more responsible with their overall health. 

It's here to stay. The rewards may change over time, but the system works. Short term incentives are far more attractive for the average consumer than annual and 5-yearly paybacks and other discounts. Essentially, the majority of us are short-term thinkers, and want things NOW. That's what the interwebs and the culture of instant information has changed us to... 

That's exactly the plan. The system has been running in the UK through Starbucks and a couple of other providers for more than 2 years now, and they've seen a dramatic uptick in exercise and healthy eating, JUST as a result of the short term rewards that they're offering. It's saving them millions in claims, and gets people to be more responsible with their overall health. 

It's here to stay. The rewards may change over time, but the system works. Short term incentives are far more attractive for the average consumer than annual and 5-yearly paybacks and other discounts. Essentially, the majority of us are short-term thinkers, and want things NOW. That's what the interwebs and the culture of instant information has changed us to... 

My waiting for iWatch 2 is the most restraint I have had to apply in about 5 months. I am very much short term incentives.  :P

Age old saying, prevention is better than cure.