Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a garmin on mtb rides which syncs to vitality - all fine, when it works.

Problem however is the indoor cycleops training which uses proprietary HR and connects to Training Peaks which subsequently links to Strava and then Vitality. If Strava is removed from Vitality then these HR recorded sessions at cycleops will not count.

The only way I think would then be to use 2 HR straps one for garmin and one for cycleops.

Pathetic really

.... or am I missing something?

Edited by slickandtyred

I have a question/ need some help. I have wattbike sessions twice a week for at least a hour,and use a polar hr belt. I have the wattbike app that links to strava. How am i going to link the sessions now to vitality,can anybody give me some directions pls?

I have a question/ need some help. I have wattbike sessions twice a week for at least a hour,and use a polar hr belt. I have the wattbike app that links to strava. How am i going to link the sessions now to vitality,can anybody give me some directions pls?

There is Polar website you upload to...www.polarpersonaltrainer.com Google should give you the correct one if its typed wrong

There is Polar website you upload to...www.polarpersonaltrainer.com Google should give you the correct one if its typed wrong

Cool,thank you

I use a garmin on mtb rides which syncs to vitality - all fine, when it works.

Problem however is the indoor cycleops training which uses proprietary HR and connects to Training Peaks which subsequently links to Strava and then Vitality. If Strava is removed from Vitality then these HR recorded sessions at cycleops will not count.

The only way I think would then be to use 2 HR straps one for garmin and one for cycleops.

Pathetic really

.... or am I missing something?

I also looking for clarity on this.

I use my cycleops IDT which sends the file straight to strava. Then I use my bryton for when im on my bikes, finish and upload files from device which upload to strava.

So does this mean that these workouts wont be counted by vitality as its on strava?

Activity points should decay. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. I don't upload any of my IDT sessions of which I do three a week and still I managed to max out my activity points weeks ago. Now I can sit on my butt for the rest of the year if I wanted to. Pointless. The idea has to be to keep you regularly active. If my points decayed at say 500 or even a thousand a week I would have to keep active all year.

As for the weekly rewards thing it's a nice idea and I had a go at it before working out I would rather have a warm glass of tap water than another Vida E coffee. I'm kind of indifferent to Kauai. Not worth finding one to claim the drink no Im not really a shopping mall person.

I have Mac computers and laptops. Also iPad and iPhone. Useful as a photographer. I have no interest in the watch at all. Now if it was a Garmin or top range Firbit with a gps I would be there.

The HR thing is a joke. They are using those tables and it's meaningless for me. According to Vitality my maz HR is 165. Actually my tested threshold is 175 and my max is 195. I can knock off a 3000 point ride without breaking a sweat.

The entire vitality has become an amusing exercise in futility for me.

Activity points should decay. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. I don't upload any of my IDT sessions of which I do three a week and still I managed to max out my activity points weeks ago. Now I can sit on my butt for the rest of the year if I wanted to. Pointless. The idea has to be to keep you regularly active. If my points decayed at say 500 or even a thousand a week I would have to keep active all year.

As for the weekly rewards thing it's a nice idea and I had a go at it before working out I would rather have a warm glass of tap water than another Vida E coffee. I'm kind of indifferent to Kauai. Not worth finding one to claim the drink no Im not really a shopping mall person.

I have Mac computers and laptops. Also iPad and iPhone. Useful as a photographer. I have no interest in the watch at all. Now if it was a Garmin or top range Firbit with a gps I would be there.

The HR thing is a joke. They are using those tables and it's meaningless for me. According to Vitality my maz HR is 165. Actually my tested threshold is 175 and my max is 195. I can knock off a 3000 point ride without breaking a sweat.

The entire vitality has become an amusing exercise in futility for me.

Machine.......

I am also on the favorable side of the coin as according to vitality my max HR is 190, where my actual max is 204. All my rides are currently being flagged as vigorous...

Something they might want to consider is to include a max HR test as part of the Elite Fitness Test. That way you can go for the test, they can capture your actual max HR and the system can work out your points from there.

If you don't go for the test your points will be based on the 220-age formula, which has a 15 beats up or down standard deviation if I remember correctly.

They are trying to encourage the correct behavior, but it is very difficult to get a points system that works for everyone as there are so many variables when it comes to a persons max HR.

The other thing they should reconsider is those long base sessions which will never hit the moderate or vigorous categories. If I go for a 4 hour base ride and I get zero points I wouldn't be to happy...

They are trying to encourage the correct behavior, but it is very difficult to get a points system that works for everyone as there are so many variables when it comes to a persons max HR.

Somebody will have to explain to me how training at 70 % plus most of the time is correct behaviour........

Somebody will have to explain to me how training at 70 % plus most of the time is correct behaviour........

From their response they are not encouraging you to train for 3 hours at that intensity to get your points goal on 1 day. What they are trying to encourage is 4 sessions a week of half an hour(like a spinning class).

That's why I also said that they need to reconsider the points for longer workouts because to ride for 3 hours at 75% plus is going to hurt... They can even reduce the points allocation but for longer sessions they need to add points for the 55-65% of HR as well.

After calming down and thinking about this whole debacle, I think if they just changed the definition of vigorous exercise all will be well. 70% is much more achievable than 80%, for me that's 136bpm vs 155bpm. I had a fairly strenuous ride yesterday and only averaged 153bpm. Sure I wasn't racing but it was still a good workout. That's thrice my resting heart rate!

From their response they are not encouraging you to train for 3 hours at that intensity to get your points goal on 1 day. What they are trying to encourage is 4 sessions a week of half an hour(like a spinning class).

That's why I also said that they need to reconsider the points for longer workouts because to ride for 3 hours at 75% plus is going to hurt... They can even reduce the points allocation but for longer sessions they need to add points  caor the 55-65% of HR as well.

To be very honest.....all I can gather from all their responses is that they are quite uninformed.....

Prezackly! 

What if you are following a specific training program? For example, you're in a base training phase, which normally could be a couple of months. Now in my case my HR is not anywhere close to what Discovery are telling me I am with their ridiculous HR Table. My Max is 15bpm lower. 

If I go for a ride in a base training (Zone 2) for 4 hours I would not get any points. Nada, zip! 

Forking stupid if you ask me. Discovery obviously did not think this through. By training at below 70% HR you're obviously not doing any exercise. What a crock of ****.