Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I stumbled across this on the website the other day

I am a ‘Discovery Life’ client

I use the ‘Vitality Active Rewards’

I am not sure if or how that relates to the ‘Vitality Active Rewards for Life’

And I don’t know if the two are linked through the ‘Active Integrator’ mentioned on the Discovery Life webpage.

As a Discovery Life client, by linking your policy with Vitality Active Rewards for Life through the Active Integrator, you get a number of additional benefits

Active Integrator is for Discovery Life clients who don't want to have Vitality. There's a small monthly premium for having Vitality Active Rewards, and you get a slightly reduced premium on your life policy. 

Not for people who have Vitality. 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spinnekop, what other Discovery products do you have?

As for the rest - go to Clicks / Dischem and get an HIV & screening test done. That'll get you to Gold instantly.

As many, many others have said - the rewards are worth it, and if you're a Discovery Life policyholder, there's even more reason to get to Gold status. Reduced premium increases, increased benefit increases, more Payback every 5 years from your policy and so on. 

Then there are the partner store discounts, flight discounts, gym discounts and healthy food etc etc.

I'd recommend a sit down with your broker to actually help you understand this product properly. At the moment, it seems as if all you're doing is racking up points with no clear intention of actually USING the product. 

Thanks for the info Myles. 

Your knowledge on this topic is awesome and I am sure a lot of guys are learning and understanding it better.

As for me....I am a numbers guy.

I pay Discovery R270 for something that will make my life better.  Yes?

And it is not making my life better.  I train very hard to maintain a level of fitness above that of the avg guy on the street.  But Vitality will only reward me up to a point for my dedication and hard training. 

Aids testing......I tend to keep my gat uit dinge uit en my ding uit gate uit.....so Aids is the very least of my worries in a busy day.

Discovery Life I hear you and everyone say......no thanks.  Vitality HEALTH should be something to do with healthy and fitness and living longer?  Why would I want to involve insurance in there to get points?  Talk about buying products from Discovery "just to rack up points"

Active Integrator is for Discovery Life clients who don't want to have Vitality. There's a small monthly premium for having Vitality Active Rewards, and you get a slightly reduced premium on your life policy. 

Not for people who have Vitality. 

Ok, so not applicable to me?

Thanks.

That's a much better answer than I got from Discovery Life via email.

Thanks for the info Myles. 

Your knowledge on this topic is awesome and I am sure a lot of guys are learning and understanding it better.

As for me....I am a numbers guy.

I pay Discovery R270 for something that will make my life better.  Yes?

And it is not making my life better.  I train very hard to maintain a level of fitness above that of the avg guy on the street.  But Vitality will only reward me up to a point for my dedication and hard training. 

Aids testing......I tend to keep my gat uit dinge uit en my ding uit gate uit.....so Aids is the very least of my worries in a busy day.

Discovery Life I hear you and everyone say......no thanks.  Vitality HEALTH should be something to do with healthy and fitness and living longer?  Why would I want to involve insurance in there to get points?  Talk about buying products from Discovery "just to rack up points"

So you're just on Disco Health & Vitality, right?

Then do yourself a favour - total all the savings that you're getting, or SHOULD get from Vitality each month, and compare that to what you're paying for it

Things like

Healthy Food (If you're not on it already, apply for it) at PnP or WW - 25% off all "healthy food" incl fruit & veg

Flights with Kulula

Gym savings

Gear purchases from Sportsmans (up to 25% if you do an annual fitness assessment)

If the total saving you're getting is less than what you're paying, it's not worth it. If you're a member of Virgin Active, you're already deriving more than R 270 p/m in the discount that you're getting on their fees, and can reduce that payment to zero. 

It's something that you and your broker need to do together. 

Well I certainly get more back from Vitality, than what I'm paying every month and I don't utilize it to its full potential. We're on Diamond status.

Active rewards is mess- I can't get strave or any other device linked and the service from Vitality in this regard is pathetic.

My friends- whom I convinced to join and befriend us- are achieving their weekly goals and I'm reason why everyone can't get their rewards.

The irony is that of the 4 of us, I'm probably the one who get the most points, or should get the most points once my strava and polar is connected.

Other than the above I get plenty back, also on my Life policy. Disco is working just fine (except for active rewards)

thousand apologies for the hijack

Team Vitality Cycling Shirts - New

hubmarket-29883-0-15276700-1454999059_me

Brand new Team Vitality Shirts

2 x Large

1 x Extra Small

R300 each ex postage

0827814176[/quote

Is the price negotiable? And what's postage cost. Interested in the 2 X Large ones.

sorry, sold.

Active rewards work fine for me... upload my activity to Garmin connect, using Edge 500 and Fenix 3, points reflected on the awards very quickly afterwards and also uploaded to strava almost immediately from GC

Get money back on food (PnP), dischem (to card), sportsmans (if need new gym or running gear), now just waiting for money back on events entered (team vitality).  Reduced membership for VA and enjoy the weekly smoothies

Also get cash back on fuel (discovery insure).. although missing out on the extra smoothie as seems I have a heavy foot (speeding)... will work on that  :)  Also enjoy the 25% off when using UBER

Not needed for flights yet, but soon as I do will make sure get the max back.

Edited by shaper

I have tried linking mapmyfitness to discovery and no joy, just not getting points from my device.

I called discovery and you can send them an email (fitnessdevices@discovery.co.za) tell them the issue, send them proof that you did the workouts you are saying, they wanted  a screenshot from garmin connect (i sen them all my *.fit files for the last two weeks), but there is no ref number, so you just wait to see if the load the points and fix the issue.

I saw you guys training on saturday morning :) did the 27 for freedom walk out in paarl, you guys doing nice training 2 by 2 :)

I managed to fix it by de linking the garmin connect account and reconnecting it again, then a whole bunch of points flowed our way.

If we passed you doing the freedom run we should have been in a paceline, practicing a TTT loop. :D Maybe someone was just pulling off the front :) Was a great morning out in Paarl!

So in ONE month I have racked up my 30 000 activity points.  Done all the online assessments, declarations, questionnaires warra warra. 

Gives me 41500 points.

And that is now that.  That is as far as I am going to get.  Unless I pay some dude in a white coat to stick his finger up my ass for a couple of extra points that is not going to get me anywhere.

Scam of epic proportion.  This this I pay R3,228 A YEAR.

F($#*$#.....that could have paid for one of my upgrades on the bike. 

Hahhahahahaha.

Lesson learnt.

You get points for every healthy item you buy at Pnp or woolies.

The amount of discounts Vitality offers me and integrators etc, I reckon I save close to R1900 a month on my insurance (My wife and I).

This includes fuel back, that funny EFA thing, 25% back on healthy foods, money back at Nandos and Sportsmans, the 35% off I paid on 4 flights, 50% on the accomodation for the cycle race I went too, the R 900 of free Kaui smoothies I get a month. 

But hey, stay on silver, someone has to pay for those on Diamond :P

Edited by Pure Savage

Active rewards work fine for me... upload my activity to Garmin connect, using Edge 500 and Fenix 3, points reflected on the awards very quickly afterwards and also uploaded to strava almost immediately from GC

Get money back on food (PnP), dischem (to card), sportsmans (if need new gym or running gear), now just waiting for money back on events entered (team vitality).  Reduced membership for VA and enjoy the weekly smoothies

Also get cash back on fuel (discovery insure).. although missing out on the extra smoothie as seems I have a heavy foot (speeding)... will work on that  :)  Also enjoy the 25% off when using UBER

Not needed for flights yet, but soon as I do will make sure get the max back.

Quick one: does spend at Dischem (obviously on specific items) get paid back in cash or as points on your Dischem card?

Quick one: does spend at Dischem (obviously on specific items) get paid back in cash or as points on your Dischem card?

points to card which you can redeem.  I use it to buy all my gels and gu's at Dischem

I managed to fix it by de linking the garmin connect account and reconnecting it again, then a whole bunch of points flowed our way.

If we passed you doing the freedom run we should have been in a paceline, practicing a TTT loop. :D Maybe someone was just pulling off the front :) Was a great morning out in Paarl!

Tried that yesterday, i de linked it and re linked. But will try again by de linking it for a day or so and then re linking it.

Hell yeah, awesome weather, perfect day to be out on the bike :)

Active rewards is mess- I can't get strave or any other device linked and the service from Vitality in this regard is pathetic.

It works or it doesn't work. Vitality doesn't give a $h!t either way. My Active rewards works 100%, my partner's does not work at all if workout recorded on the Strava app. But does work if workout recorded on Garmin device.

Frustrating and not worth my time to try sort out at a cup of coffee a week.

It works or it doesn't work. Vitality doesn't give a $h!t either way. My Active rewards works 100%, my partner's does not work at all if workout recorded on the Strava app. But does work if workout recorded on Garmin device.

Frustrating and not worth my time to try sort out at a cup of coffee a week.

I'm not concerned about the coffee or smoothie, but the free gym membership, flights etc are quite worth it. Also at this moment I drop my friends which makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Anyway, my wife is now battling with them. She has more patients than I have.

I'm not concerned about the coffee or smoothie, but the free gym membership, flights etc are quite worth it. Also at this moment I drop my friends which makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Anyway, my wife is now battling with them. She has more patients than I have.

Is she a doctor? :ph34r:  :ph34r: